The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 25, 2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Jericho9mm

What to use for Snakes on a Plane?

A new movie coming out this year (amazingly called Snakes on a Plane) is about a plot to kill someone by letting snakes loose on a plane. Samuel L. Jackson stars in it and appears to use a Beretta to fight the snakes. My question is since Hollywood just reflects real life what handgun and tactics (since you can't take a rifle,shotgun,or crossbow on a plane) would be needed to save the plane?

here is a pic of said gun
Old January 25, 2006, 01:01 PM   #2
almark

Well you can't really take a handgun on a plane either, but...

.38 spl Revolver loaded with ratshot or a 9-shot .22 lr revolver loaded with CB caps... although I'd prefer a high-cap mongoose launcher, personally.

The real question is, does Hollywood actually expect people to pay money to see this movie??
Old January 25, 2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Topthis

Can't reply with a choice of handguns...to me it is just not practical using a handgun on snakes in an enclosed area like an airplane, especially with seats in the way and other passengers on board, it actually sounds pretty dangerous and stupid. My choice would be to locate (if there is such a thing) a longish stick to bash em with or better yet corral them in a certain area or a few locations in the airplane and "detain" them there with closed doors or makeshift walls. A fire extinguisher might be used to herd the snakes in whatever direction you want them to move...or maybe you could feed the snakes some of that crappy food that they serve on airplanes these days...that should actually do em in!!
Old January 25, 2006, 02:43 PM   #4
urbanassault

It kind of looks like the guy next to him is an inmate or just a gangster (same thing just at different stages in their crimminal life) if its an inmate and its like con-air just use a shotgun if youre actually on a plane its bogus they would: a) let anybody on with snakes in their bag
2) let anybody on with a gun
so if you could just do whatever you wanted, then yes a shotgun still like a 12 guage with 8shot
and c) you dont need a gun to deal with snakes, does the croc hunter have a gun? No, so Im not sure what kind of snake you would be "fighting" on a plane but you most likely would not need a gun. This movie seems bogus what is the title? Anaconda 3

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 25, 2006, 02:51 PM   #5
gac009

I dont know what kind of gun I would use to fight off snakes but that sounds like a terrible terrible idea for a movie.
Old January 25, 2006, 02:53 PM   #6
NDTerminator

Sounds to me like Samuel L. needed some cash...

Charles Darwin
Old January 25, 2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Not far from reality, coming back to Anchorage last year from NY, some joker got his Boa on the plane in his carry on and it escaped...

You should have seen fols scramblin lookin for this 4 foot fat snake under their feet....

SWMBO thought it was hysterical, especially since she was in 1st class (I was in coach) and the snake was loose back there

The snakes owner didnt think it was funny when the cops were waitign for him at the gate

WildlethargicsnakeAlaska
Old January 25, 2006, 02:54 PM   #8
bdc

great question

You point the pistol at the other passengers and tell them to get out of the way while you retreat through the airplane. Then, at gun point, you have the other passengers pile up in a forbidable blocking pile between you and the snakes.

Conversely, you issue a verbal warning in English, Chinese and Russian and shoot only to wound with snake loads.
Old January 25, 2006, 02:59 PM   #9
Jericho9mm

yeah this thread is pretty tongue in cheek. i just saw the premise of the movie and some pics of him holding a gun in a plane and figured this is going to be one of the worst movies ever.
Old January 25, 2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Mikeyboy

Whatever pistol you want, loaded with snake shot...honestly I can do better with a rake and a shovel. I find a snake in my yard that might be poisonous (we get copperheads, water mocs around here), I hold it down with a rake and chop its head off with a shovel. Man that sounds like a lame idea for a movie...I got to take some writing lessons and write a movie script, they are running out of ideas in la-la land.
Old January 25, 2006, 03:20 PM   #11
Jericho9mm

to find out what an air marshall's options are if he/she were ever to encounter such a problem
Old January 25, 2006, 04:05 PM   #12
MoW

uh, a can of hair spray and a lighter should do Snakes will run from people so you really don't need to do anything except raise your feet
Old January 25, 2006, 04:34 PM   #13
kozak6

James Bond did that, except he used his cigar.

Snakes tend not to actively seek out people to bite, but seriously, you should be able to crunch 'em pretty good with a well thrown suitcase.

Of course, that would make a short movie.
Old January 25, 2006, 04:45 PM   #14
loosecannon

I would use a Colt Python! LOL
What a truly dreadful idea for a movie it might suck so bad that its actually funny.
Old January 25, 2006, 05:40 PM   #15
Weeg

A Cobb .50 Rifle

Old January 25, 2006, 05:41 PM   #16
TexasSIGMan

It sounds like Hollyweird's tank is almost on "E" with ideas......
Old January 25, 2006, 06:42 PM   #17
KC135

CO2 fire extingisher.
Old January 25, 2006, 07:43 PM   #18
stevensc

Reminds me of the time I was fishing in my open boat, a rat snake about 4 feet long slithered out of one of the compartments across the cockpit and out of sight into another. I had a .357 onboard but figured I'd better hold my fire.
As my wife was onboard it was pretty funny, say do you think some one out in Hollywood would like to buy the movie rights?
Steve
Old January 25, 2006, 08:51 PM   #19
XDoctor

When I first heard about this technique, I didn't beleive it. Then I got my chance to try it out. Turns out it works, no matter how unbeleivable.

If its a rattlesnake (Was a rattlesnake for me, I can't vouch for the other slitherin critters of the world) you point the gun at it and move the barrel side to side real slow. Within a few seconds the snake will start to follow the barrel with its head. Now shoot. A snake's vision is based on heat. When you shoot, it will strike the bullet and (ideally) be killed. If its not killed, you've got one pissed off rattlesnake on your hands.
Old January 25, 2006, 09:02 PM   #20
orionengnr

357 Mag 125gr SJHP

Mozambique drill--two COM, one in the head.

TO YOURSELF!!!

Problem solved .

Alternate solution--don't watch movies. I figured this out about twenty years ago (twenty years too late).

Last edited by orionengnr; January 25, 2006 at 09:05 PM. Reason: clarity!
Old January 25, 2006, 09:59 PM   #21
MoW

Within a few seconds the snake will start to follow the barrel with its head. Now shoot. A snake's vision is based on heat

A little scientific flaw in this. You are right that a snake sees thermal images, however a gun, being an inanimate object, does not give off heat to follow while your body does. Next, the speed of a fired bullet far exceeds the striking capability of any snake. Good Mythbusters idea though!
Old January 25, 2006, 10:20 PM   #22
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I cannot believe that I'm actually going to respond to this thread, but here goes .

Quote:
A snake's vision is based on heat
Half truth. Only pit vipers, and members of the boa and python families have this ability, and all have eyesight. A snake's vision isn't great at discerning detailed images, but it's perfect for detecting movement. Senses and a determination of whether or not to strike are further enhanced by the Jacobson's organ, which allows them to "taste" the air. That's what tongue flickering is doing. Put them all together and you have a super predator.

Some snakes, like mambas, rely almost entirely on detecting movement via vision, but it doesn't hamper them in the least. Everybody knows the black mamba is probably the most dangerous snake on the planet, and it doesn't have heat sensing ability.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 25, 2006, 10:42 PM   #23
roy reali

What Really Happened

Many years ago an Air Force KC-135 took off from somewhere in the Middle East. As soon as it reached cruising altitude, the crew noticed a cobra in the cockpit.

The pilot ordered the flight crew to don their oxygen masks. Then he depressurized the aircraft. The snake didn't do too well.

I suppose an airline could do the same. Have the passengers put on oxygen masks and let the air out of the plane.
Old January 26, 2006, 05:47 AM   #24
Weeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSIGMan
It sounds like Hollyweird's tank is almost on "E" with ideas......

Yesssir...I agree.

Especially every time they hash up a comic book character, or re-hash old movies...

The latest one I saw an ad for was Steve Martin as "The Pink Panther"...

I'm sorry, but NO ONE can equal Peter Sellers as Chief Inspector Jaques Clousaeu...Any attempt is lame.

:barf:

Last edited by Weeg; January 26, 2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old January 26, 2006, 05:59 AM   #25
utaherrn

everybody gets their seatbelts on

and the pilot turns the plane upside down

Presto, the snakes fall out of the plane because they lack opposable thumbs!