The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2002, 01:57 PM   #1
germanguns

Remington 870 Detail Stripping

I recently took my father's Wingmaster 870 to the range for him. I got a buddy of mine to pull the trigger on my clay pidgeon launcher, and took aim. Click. No fire.

After taking a look at the shotgun, pushing a few shells through it, we discovered that it wasn't locking up. So, I decided it needed a good cleaning. It turns out the person who owned it before my father had put grease, not oil, but grease in the gun. Man was it nasty on the inside.

I've got the shotgun disassembled, but am having problems with the trigger group. I can't get the hammer pin out. It certainly won't punch out for me. Anyone know how to get the thing off?
Old December 19, 2002, 03:09 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Save some time and trouble. Use a gun scrubber like the one SLIP 2000 makes to get out the grunge, then relube copiously with SLIP or Breakfree.

In all my shooting 870s, I've never taken down a trigger group, and probably never will.

HTH...
Old December 19, 2002, 09:09 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The hammer assembly DOES NOT come out. It's rivited in place and is removeable only for replacement with new parts. These parts include the hammer, mainspring and plunger, and the bolt carrier latch. You would have to break the rivet to get them out, and will have to buy a new carrier latch.

I do use some grease on the bolt and bolt carrier assembly, but not so much it gums up the works.

Like Dave said, spray it down with something, drain it out and relube. Remington recommends Rem-Oil as a cleaner/lube.
Old December 20, 2002, 02:55 AM   #4
germanguns

Hehe, this thing is gooped up so bad it doesn't fire when it is cold. I just goes... plop. Not even click. Poor, poor shotgun... I have run out of solvent in the process of cleaning it.
Old December 20, 2002, 05:53 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The spray cleaner SLIP 2000 makes does a great job of degunking.Just be sure to relube after, because it takes off everything.

Mine the Archives, there's a thread or six on this....
Old December 20, 2002, 02:51 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

If worse comes to worse, get a jug of cheap WalMart paint thinner and drop the unit into a can full of it. After it's soaked for a while, scrub with a tooth brush, drain, dry and lube.