The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2015, 12:57 PM   #26
Metal god

Quote:
You know if the brass spend a lot of time in the fire? Might have gotten heated hot enough to make it too soft. Suspect the odd color indicates excess heat and it's been annealed too much.
Quote:
Don't know exactly how long or how hot the fire, although it was hot enough to melt lead out of bullets leaving the copper cup/jackets.
Annealing starts around 500* , lead melts just over 600*

Cartridge brass is annealed at the neck and shoulder only . It's important the case does not get to hot at the head . I would not load those cases that came out of a fire . If it burned hot enough to melt lead out of cartridges . The heads of the brass were likely annealed rendering them to soft to be safe .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 19, 2015, 01:32 PM   #27
Panfisher

No worries, these were never going into the reloading bin. Just an attempt to see if I could clean them up. The ones that have been in the Lyman 600 for a few days are.almost normal looking now. Also ran the second batch of through the wet tumbler a couple more time they are slowly getting lighter in color. Amazing that even after I think 4 cycles (2 were very long) that the water is still filthy. One more last test to clean some of my fired brass to make sure that somehow I haven't forgotten how to clean brass, then I will find something else to be curious about.
Old August 20, 2015, 10:24 AM   #28
jimk60

Disclaimer:
I am not a metallurgist.
I did not play one on TV.
I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Here goes my understanding of annealing.

Brass, and other metals, are a crystalline structure.
When heated, the crystalline structure 're-arranges itself' (non-technical term)
in order to create a strong yet soft, or ductile (technical term) structure.
This allows for the expansion, and contraction of the case when loading as well as firing.
Each time the case is fired, it looses some of the ductability. If not re-annealed, the case will eventually split.
This is because the crystalline structure has re-alligned itself, and created a less ductile, or work hardened metal.

For a completely technical description Try this explanation form Wikiedia

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken on any of this.
Old August 20, 2015, 10:39 AM   #29
Metal god

Thanks Jim

Was there something specific you were getting at in your post or just general info

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 20, 2015, 02:17 PM   #30
jimk60

Just general info on annealing. Many do not understand why they need to anneal. Just that they do. I believe if you are going to execute some process, you should have some understanding of why you do it, and what it does.