The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 22, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Hedley

Winchester '97 action-lock issues

Hello all. The shotgun in question is a 1902-vintage '97 take-down rescued from a barn. First problem I'm having is the Action Slide occasionally fails to pull the bolt home. The Action Hook that's attached to the bolt looks sound and not too badly worn. I'm thinking that the shoulder of the Action Slide end is worn, causing it to slide off the Action Hook. Based on the pic below, how does it look?

Action slide:

My second problem has to do with the slide lock. I can rack the slide, and then open the bolt without engaging the slide lock release. I haven't been able to find too many photos of the Action Slide Lock installed into the carrier. Mine appears to be sheared off at the end, but it's hard to tell because of its age. How does it look compared to yours? And if that's not my problem, do you have any ideas? Thanks.

Action slide lock:

Edit- I went ahead and built up the tip of the Action Slide with the welder, and carefully filed it back down to fit the Action Hook. No more issues with my first problem, and it even made it harder to unlock the bolt without the bolt release. The slide lock release works to an extent now. There's no effort at all to release the bolt with the slide lock release pressed, but a tremendous effort is required to drop the carrier without the slide lock release. Should there be any movement at all?

After a little welding, and before shaping:

Now I'm really confused. I don't think the problem is 100% with the Action Slide Lock.
Old September 22, 2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Hard to make any iron clad statements without seeing the gun, but it appears that you have one with a significant amount of wear. There's nothing that can't be fixed if you really want to, and as it appears that you have some talents and required patience, have at it. There can be some fore and aft movement of the pump mechanism (not much) but the gun should not open until it has been fired or the slide lock disengaged. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old September 23, 2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Clark

I was really good with a 97 in 1965 when i was 14.
It was like a video game for a 14 year old.
I could kill anything I got near in a flash.

I no longer consider it a design I will hunt with, but I have more money now.

In 2000, I got 1.5 shotguns as a basket case for cheap.
The 1897 has ~ 100 parts, twice what a normal gun has.

The AGI videos are spotty, but the one on 1897Win pumps is great.

I would get a spare 1897 and the video.
Then I would weld and machine on the part until repaired.