The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 23, 2002, 09:04 AM   #1
Pilgrimmike

'QUELL' shooting stance

I would appreciate any information that anyone has on the Quell shooting position, which I believe was invented by Paris Theodore of ASP/Seventrees fame.

Michael Hotchin
Old June 23, 2002, 10:55 AM   #2
AK103K

I remember this. It went along with the sight rail system used on the ASP pistol if I remember right. I tried it for awhile,(with standard sights) and it did work, but took some getting used to. Basicly you used your left eye to sight with with your right cheek on your right bicep. When done properly, you couldnt see your sights with your right eye. There was something about the right/left side of the brain thing here. Something about if your right handed, your brain percieved danger with less emotion( or something like that) when viewed through the left eye. When you got the hang of it, you had an instant sight picture and your right arm was more like a rifle stock. The theroy was to hit the small bundle of nerves at the base of the neck just behind the base of the nose, thus an instant shut down of the nervous system with no chance for the trigger finger to twitch. It is very fast if you practice, but awakward for traditionally trained minds.

PS: Thanks, for bringing it up, you just gave me something to do on this Sunday afternoon.
Old June 25, 2002, 09:23 AM   #3
Pilgrimmike

AL103K,

Thanks for the information.

Michael Hotchin
Old June 25, 2002, 09:27 AM   #4
Pilgrimmike

AK103K,

Sorry for the AL103K!!!

Michael Hotchin
Old June 25, 2002, 07:30 PM   #5
Gopher

Trying this for the first time after reading about it in Petersons Handguns years ago I found out I was left eye dominate. Being right handed it has worked well for me.