The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 25, 2010, 03:17 PM   #1
RetiredMajor

School me on Holographic sights

I have a Beretta CX4 Storm carbine in 45 Caliber and want a quick view sight of some sort. The holo sights seem to meet this criteria. I can't spend $300 on a sight. What reasonable choices do I have without spending an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Major
Old January 25, 2010, 03:34 PM   #2
sholling

A holographic sight projects a holographic image in front of your eye. Usually a 65 MOA circle with a 1 MOA center dot. A reflex sight has an led pointed forward. The light from that LED reflects off a partly mirrored lens back toward your eye giving you the red dot. Holographic gun sights are able to project a more complex reticle picture. Reflex sights use less energy.

For $300 you're probably looking at a reflex (aka red dot) instead of a holographic sight. You can pick up a 1x Aimpoint 9000 with either a 2 MOA or 4 MOA dot for $275-390 at MidwayUSA, Burris' equivalent is a bit cheaper but uses a 35mm ring. What you might be able to use is a Bushnell Trophy ($100) or a Votex Strikefire ($150). I know the Trophy is so dark that you will need both eyes open to see in a dark room. I haven't used the Vortex.
Old January 25, 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Carne Frio

I have an EOTech 512 as well as Vortex. I prefer the EOTech
over the Vortex Strikefire. That said the Vortex does work
and their warranty is excellent. $400+ vs $150, also.