The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Crestliner

Resurrected Press

I had an old Herter's M-81 2-station C press which I purchased new back in 1969. I disassembled it, cleaned up a few small rust spots, re-lubed the pistons and bought some shell holders. My son, who is a machinist, had to make shell holder adapters (stainless steel) to use the newer holders available today. She cleaned up just nice and now, with a set of .357 Mag. dies, she'll be good to go shortly. Tell ya what folks, this is one hefty hunk of steel! And she looks not too awful bad either. Thought you might want to take a look at some history:

Here's a close-up of the shell holder adapters my son had to make for it:

Side views:

Now all I've got to do is buy some components! $$$$ It's only money
Old May 17, 2008, 10:14 AM   #2
zxcvbob

Looks like it will take a "universal" priming arm, like from a Rockchucker. But I don't know if it'll work with that adapter.

I bought a C&H "C" press a few months ago (1-station.) I thought it was gonna be cast iron, but it's aluminum. Very sturdy anyway, and will make a nice backup press, or dedicated to resizing rifle brass or something. And mine takes standard shellholders without an adapter, so I can't complain.

You will love being able to set up 2 dies at once and leaving them that way. Especially for 2-die rifle sets.

Bob

Last edited by zxcvbob; May 17, 2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 17, 2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Yoosta B. Blue

I've never seen one of those, Crestliner. You have it all pimped out now and ready to get it on! Thanks for sharing!

Yoosta B. Blue
Old May 17, 2008, 11:22 AM   #4
thallub

That is a nice press.
Old May 17, 2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Crestliner

Thanks for the kind words folks. Don't think I'll go the primer-arm-on-the-press route. I took off the original back in the '60's because it was difficult to line up the primer squarely with the pockets of the brass cases. Back then I used an "Ideal" (Lyman 310) nut cracker, hand type primer tool. I still have that and will probably use that again as well. Can't wait to get started!
Old May 18, 2008, 11:03 PM   #6
arizona98tj

I remember thumbing through the Herter's catalog as a kid in high school....oh yeah, that brings back memories.

Thanks for sharing!
Old May 27, 2008, 11:05 AM   #7
DMMikey

shell adapters

By coincidence, I was just at the CH4D website. They make shell adapters for your press.
http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/?p=63
is the web address for the parts.
Old May 27, 2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Rembrandt

I found this Herters turret press at a garage sale for $5.....they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Old May 28, 2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Crestliner

WOW! What a deal! Wish I'd find another of these bears. Guess I'm going to have to go "tag sailing" again . Thanks for sharing.
Old July 4, 2008, 08:24 PM   #10
mikenbarb

Crestliner, I just picked up the same one that you have for 25 bucks.Its a Herters Super 81 with the 2 die system. It looks like a beasts and I cant wait till I get it and give her a try. Im all excited that I actually found one in good shape. Im gonna PM you for a little info if you dont mind.