The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 5, 2007, 03:38 PM   #1
remjeep75

opinions on guide school

Thinking about possibly attending guide school to be a hunting guide. I was looking for some opinions or experiences. I don’t really have very many responsibilities ie: a wife or career type job. Just looking for any input. thanks
Old December 5, 2007, 03:58 PM   #2
taylorce1

Where do you think you want to guide? I think better than guide school would be to get some OJT. Hire on with an guide outfit doing grunt work such as setting up spike camp, packing horses, and washing dishes. Learn from the guides that are there, and learn the area and game. I'm sure guide schools can teach you something, but don't expect to be a guide when you get your certificate.
Old December 5, 2007, 04:13 PM   #3
remjeep75

i was thinking about http://www.guidetraining.com/. I understand that nothing is a garantee, i was thinking about giving it a try
Old December 5, 2007, 04:37 PM   #4
davlandrum

I kinda think "guide school" would be just enough to qualify you to then OJT.

Oh, to be young and free!!!

Only possible down side is making your fun into a ton of work. I worked as a river guide for a few years - talk about taking something as fun as rafting rivers and making it into a ton of work for very little money...The people who are paying don't want to pack the raft, or cook, or anything other than have fun. That is why they are paying...

Good luck

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart