The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 21, 2006, 09:11 PM   #1
WhiteFeather93

Paddle vs Pancake

Which do you prefer. I am looking into getting one or the other. I also saw a holster that fits in the small of your back it keeps the pistol horizontal. To give you and idea of what I'm looking for. I am going to be careing a S.A. 1911 Mil spec. I am not in terrible shape but I prefer a outside of the pants holster. I am right handed, and do a lot of driving. Any preference?
Old March 21, 2006, 11:44 PM   #2
dairycreek

I can pass along some of my personal experiences and biases for what they might be worth. While I really like the idea of a paddle holster I have never been able to buy one that keeps the gun high and tight. They always seem to lean away from my body. On the other hand a well constructed pancake does, for me, keep the holster high and tight to my body.

The holsters that are designed to ride directly in the center of one's back are just doggone uncomfortable whenever I sit down. Just can't get the thing to stop jabbing me in the spine. Also, if you fall on a hard object that is placed directly over your spine you become a candidate for serious back injury. On the other hand you do not have to place the holster/gun right over the spine. Mine rides much more comfortably when carried to the right of the spine (over the kidney) and that works quite well for me.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old March 22, 2006, 04:18 PM   #3
JCC2

If you are driving a lot....

I would suggest the paddle, specially if it is one with a neutral cant, as you can switch it from strong right side to left side whilst driving.....

In general, pancakes will stay "closer" to you but well made paddles should too. Take a look at AkerĀ“s model 268 and 268A (with/without thumbreak).

Stay safe and greetings from the land of the Incas !!!!

Juan Carlos
Old March 23, 2006, 09:01 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

qualified

The paddle-type holsters simply aren't as secure as belt holsters, but if driving you'll be MUCH happier with a paddle, because as the other poster stated, you can shift it for accessibility.

DO NOT 'buy cheap' (unless you find that Uncle Mikes Kydex works for you) because a crappy holster winds up in a box with the rest of the "I'm too cheap" holsters
Old March 23, 2006, 09:15 AM   #5
pdkflyguy

I'd agreee about buying cheap. I tried that at first, but wound up having to get another holster right away. I have tried both paddle and pancake, and I would say that the paddle is a little more comfortable because you can shift it around. However, the paddle holster tends to flap if you run or jog at all, and it makes a much bigger bulge. I found that I could only conceal my paddle holster under a sportcoat, whereas I can conceal a pancake holster underneath a shirttail. Also, the pancake does hold tighter, and provide more stability. I guess it comes down to that simple truth: "A gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable." I had to learn that early on, but now I hardly notice the butt of my gun in my kidney anymore.
Walther P22 .22LR
Old March 23, 2006, 10:02 AM   #6
9mm1033

My experience:

Paddle holster: Goes on quicker, but has a tendency to pull away from your waist. However, you can position it without fear of a belt loop being in the way. Not the best for concealment. But, not bad under a suit coat since it's normally left open and unbuttoned. Would work fine under a sweatshirt or spring jacket.

Pancake holster: Can be a pain at times looping through the belt. The belt loops on your pants will determine placement, which sometimes is not in the exact place you care to carry. Fits snugger around the waistline. Doesn't print the gun as much. Tight and concealable.

And, I agree...don't buy cheap. A $25.00 holster for a $500.00 gun...D'oh!
Old March 23, 2006, 10:11 AM   #7
9mm_prn

Some good advice here.

I would go to a shop with a good selection of holsters and see what fits you the best (don't forget the gun). Try out several different styles. If there is a chair handy, see how comfortable you are when sitting with it too. I think you'll find the paddle is the most comfortable when sitting/driving as it does'nt ride as close to you plus you can move it to the opposite side or take it off easier when you're cruisin down the road.

Just remember your gun will not be as well concealed with a paddle (no matter how good the quality) compared to a pancake type of holster so be sure your jacket/shirt or whatever is loose enough and long enough to hide the imprint of your gun. Another thing to consider is wearing an undershirt when you are using a paddle. I don't know about anyone else but I need something between my skin and the paddle/gun or it drives me nuts...
Old March 26, 2006, 05:40 PM   #8
WhiteFeather93

Thank you very much for all your help. I do a lot of driving so most likely I will take it off of me and stick it in a holster fitted to my truck in some sort. At least thats my master plan. As far as super conceilment:barf: don't care. If it were not that I had to conceal it, I wouldn't. However in Pa pistols have to be concealed. And by that they mean covered up. I'm still in pursuit for the perfect holster but the information you guys passed on will go a long way. I thank you.
Old March 28, 2006, 12:57 PM   #9
QuaTscH94

I was in search of the "perfect holster" as well a few weeks ago. I ended up getting a leather Galco Concealment holster for my Springfield 1911-A1. It is a pancake type and is very comfortable to wear, even while driving. I also ordered a Don Hume belt quickslide leather holster but the damn thing is on backorder, I'm hoping it is as comfortable as my Galco, it certainly was cheaper.

Galco - $70
Don Hume - $25