The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 7, 2014, 11:43 PM   #1
BlackFeather

Ruger Blackhawk, light firing pin strikes.

So, my aunt was given a Blackhawk by her stepfather, maybe 18 years ago. Hasn't been fired since, until I got a hold of it to make sure it was clean and still in working order. First round went off, the next two didn't, the last one shot. I tried different ammo after a thorough cleaning, still the same issues. Last ammo I tried was Remington .357, and it fired all five. Just to be sure, I loaded another five, one light strike.

My goal is to make this reliable again, are there any suggestions some pros could offer?

It has a transfer bar, by the way. I don't know if that could be part of the issue, seeing as it's not a constant malfunction. Same with the hammer spring, when it fires, it's hitting deep and looks normal, but the misfires are fairly light. I can try and post pictures of the strikes tomorrow, if that would help.

Thanks, guys.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old March 8, 2014, 03:09 AM   #2
Slopemeno

It's possible someone cut a coil or two from the mainspring, or substituted a lighter spring. You can order springs like this from a number of sources.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/...3/mID52/dID228
Old March 8, 2014, 08:53 AM   #3
chewie146

That's probably all it is. Check for crap in the firing pin channel and any kind of damage to the pin.
Old March 8, 2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

As suggested, first a good cleaning and oiling.
Replacement springs are available from Brownell's, Midway and Ruger. I don't think you have a serious problem, just put a new spring one. Easy job. And, the transfer bar is not the problem. Ruger guns shoot great with them.
Old March 8, 2014, 02:08 PM   #5
BlackFeather

I figured the spring would be the first thing to replace, wanted other opinions. Thanks guys.

Oh, and I wasn't sure how to get the firing pin out of its chamber, that's the one place I couldn't thoroughly clean.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old March 8, 2014, 02:28 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would not rule out a transfer bar problem, though.

Jim
Old March 8, 2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I'm like James, as if it were the hammer spring, you would not get the deep indents on some primers, they wold most likely all be shallow.

The transfer bar could be dragging, and not transferring the full force of the hammer to the rear of the firing pin. To check it, cock it several times, and watch the bar come up, to see if it looks to have any odd movement, and use something to press it to see how much side play it has. It shouldn't have much, especially enough that it couldn't drag on the sides of the frame. When fully cocked, it should move freely toward the firing pin, pushing it in.

Lastly, make sure the firing pin is clean, as if it has dirt/rust built up in the housing it rides in, it could cause it to not work correctly, and possibly cause the spring to work more against the pin. You might put a drop of penetrating oil on it, allow it to work in, and work it with a tooth pick in/out, then follow with gun oil to make sure it works freely.