The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
okiefarmer

DIY punch for H&I die

Mod, This might belong in casting, and if you so choose, move it. It's part of reloading after the casting is done.

Anyway, making my own custom bullet punch from a punch I drilled out. Can't seem to find the right punch for a .270 spire point. Several issues arise. If I don't turn the lube heater on, I have to apply enough pressure it makes imprints on the nose, and if I turn the heater on, I get stuff oozing out of the base of my 450. Using LS Stuff 2500 lube, I like it.

Anyway, using J.B. Weld as nose pattern material. What does not stick to this stuff? I have tried Crisco, wireline lube (almost like KY), and just about anything else I can find in my drawer. When I push nose up in punch, crap sticks to nose. I am letting it dry(cure) pretty stiff before I push it in, any earlier and it's a mess.

Better answer in a hurry, or I'll be re-doing it again.

TIA,
Okie out

Last edited by okiefarmer; December 22, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old December 22, 2012, 09:27 PM   #2
azjohn

You might want to contact the perfessor. His contact info is in this post.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=perfesser
Old December 23, 2012, 10:19 AM   #3
dahermit

As I understand your post, you are trying to make a bullet fitting punch using JB Weld, that fits your bullet exactly and you cannot find a release agent that works (releases the bullet after curing). I have not tried that, but logically it would seem that if you melted some paraffin and dipped the bullet in it, let it harden and then formed the punch it would almost surely work. The only thing that I can imagine that would keep it from working is if the JB Weld produced enough heat as it was curing to melt the wax. But it seems worth a try.
It that does not work, I would abandon the JB Weld (for that purpose), and use epoxy putty that comes in two seperate little bars...one epoxy, one hardener. It is in a plastic state and stays that way(never a liquid like JB), until it hardens (like a rock!).