The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 20, 2006, 12:59 AM   #1
Bill Siegle

Question on overall rifle length

A few weeks ago I was at the range and a buddy had a folding stock malfunction and the stock seperated from the gun(cheapy AK) He got really worried about the ride home with it as he was pretty sure it was under 26in overall with the stock detached. I suggested driving safe and staying calm but that the obviously broken part would probably not be held against him anyway. We did manage to cob the stock back on so ended up with no issue afterall. I was wondering though about some of the folders I have seen out there on rifles though. Does the 26in overall length rule still apply when the stock is attached but in the folded position? I have seen more than a few that were just shy of 26 that made me wonder. They were all aftermarket stocks on factory barreled recievers. Mostly 16in barrels on BC folding stocks.
Old August 20, 2006, 01:08 AM   #2
Hkmp5sd

The overall length is measured with the stock extended. Therefore, it is ok if the overall length drops below 26" with the stock folded.

Regarding broken equipment, there isn't anything wrong with having a rifle with a broken stock. ATF isn't going to kick your door down. Just get it fixed as soon as possible and don't worry about it. Parts break all of the time. Semi autos go full auto with broken parts. ATF doesn't raid you that night. Just fix it. If your buddy is really paranoid about it, just break the gun down.
Old August 20, 2006, 01:53 AM   #3
raymond-

dont have access to my notes right now, but I believe the Feds measure the
telecoping/folding rifle in extended position....but some state jurisdictions
measure this in collapsed position. devil in the details....so best to dbl check
your locale.
Old June 13, 2011, 02:49 AM   #4
Redrover

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The legal overall length of a rifle, or shotgun is measured from its shortest, operable length.
Old June 13, 2011, 03:02 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

Wrong again!

It depends on what state you are in. The fed govt measures with the stock extended. Some states (Michigan I think) measure with the stock retracted.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:55 AM   #6
David Hineline

Federal law measures with the stock open or attatched. Some state laws measure it with the stock closed or removed.