The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2009, 01:18 PM   #26
Ron

I just recieved a 380 conversion kit in yesterday for my 550b, today set it up and ran 300 rounds thru it in 40 minutes without a hitch. That tells me I have a quality machine that should last me a life time. The only problems I had has been me and not the machine. I'm also sure the other name brands are quality also but this Dillon is my first and last progressive press for awhile so I love it.
Old August 31, 2009, 01:30 AM   #27
medalguy

Let me chime in here. This is my first post here but I've been using Dillon presses since 1983 I think when I bought my first 450, and I still use it. Fact is I have 2 450's and 2 550's and use all of them. Yes, I've had a few mechanical problems through the years but I have no idea how many thousand rounds I've loaded in these presses but I'm sure it's in the high numbers.

I've had sideways and upside down primers and it's generally because something isn't right. Couple of times the primer tube worked loose and rode up inside the magazine. However I always watch the primer slide through the side of the machine and the primer problems only occur once in many thousand cycles, so it's no big problem. The screws on the underside of the table I removed long ago after about the third thie they worked loose. I can now set the primers by feel.

And the customer service is absolutely unmatched. RCBS is good, Lee is fair in my opinion, but Dillon is great. They use the products and know exactly what they are talking about, and that to me is worth quite a bit.

Some guys like different brands and that's fine. Use whatever you like, but don't badmouth someone else because he uses a different press. Maybe the difference is mental, but then, that's half of shooting anyway, isn't it?
Old August 31, 2009, 02:54 AM   #28
Sport45

Medalguy,

Welcome to The Firing Line!

Great first post.
Old August 31, 2009, 02:58 AM   #29
Sport45

I have a 550b and I like it. Have run more than 10,000 .45acp, .45C, .38spcl, and 9mm through it. My biggest problems have been with the platform on top of the ram coming loose (once) and the nut backing off the powder measure through-bolt. When that bolt gets loose the square nylon washer falls out and you get cases without powder if you're not watching. It does what it does very well, but if I had another go at it I'd try the LnL AP just because I've already tried the Dillon.

I hope the OP enjoys his Dillon and maked loads of great loads!

Last edited by Sport45; August 31, 2009 at 04:57 AM. Reason: kerrected misspelt werds