The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 21, 2013, 05:04 AM   #1
rebs

Savage vs Mossberg MVP

I have narrowed my choice down to these two rifles in 223. Which would you choose ? Which Savage model is most accurate with the accu-trigger and all the other goodies ?
I want to mainly shoot 55 gr bullets at a range from 50 yds out to about 500 yds.
The Mossberg MVP has a laminate stock, adjustable trigger and takes standard AR magazines. The one I looked at had an 18 inch medium weight barrel. I am not a real big fan of the real heavy bull barrels.
Also I am a reloader and will be reloading for the rifle I choose.
Old August 21, 2013, 05:16 AM   #2
4runnerman

Savage would be my choice ( Has been 9 times in a row now), Model 12 in a FV version. I have a FVSS and would never get rid of that one. One other thing-- Don't get set on 55 gn bullets, Try the 60's. If your talking 500 yards you might even go heavier. 223 is more than capable of 500 and beyond,but that's a darn light bullet to throw in any kind of wind.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Mystro

I purchased a Savage 10XP predator snow Camo package last year and it has been one of the most accurate guns for the money I have seen. Its a bit heavy but a very outstanding rifle.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old August 22, 2013, 09:12 PM   #4
steveNChunter

Take a look at the Savage 12 F/TR

Edit: you said you didn't like big heavy barrels so the 12 F/TR may not be your cup of tea with it's 30" 6.6lb barrel
Old August 22, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
steveNChunter

The Savage hog hunter might be a better choice for you. 20" barrel and it's more similar to the MVP. Either a Savage or MVP should be a good rifle but keep in mind the MVP is 5.56. Which means you can load a bit hotter and it will have a longer throat. That could be good or bad depending on the length of the bullet you will be loading and how deep you will be seating it
Old August 22, 2013, 10:25 PM   #6
ripnbst

Another thing to keep in mind is barrel twist. I think they both have a 1:9 twist but if you wanted to re-barrel the Savage you could do so easily on your own no smith needed and run a 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrel.

This would allow you to run the 6X and 7X gr .224 bullets very comfortably and stabilize them for better accuracy out to longer ranges.
Old August 23, 2013, 12:21 AM   #7
emcon5

Quote:
This would allow you to run the 6X and 7X gr .224 bullets very comfortably and stabilize them for better accuracy out to longer ranges.
1:9 shoots 6x anything, and 75 grains (The Hornady AMAX at least) just fine.

The cool thing about the Mossberg is also a problem for a medium range rifle, that it takes AR magazines. This means you are limited to AR Magazine OAL, of about 2.25" If you are planning on shooting to 500 yards, and want to handload heavier bullets (such as the aforementioned, excellent 75 AMAX) then you are screwed. No way to seat that bullet that short.
Old August 23, 2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Txhillbilly

I agree,a 1-9 twist will shoot up to 75 gr bullets with no problems. I shoot 75 gr A-Max,and BTHP Match bullets out of my 12FLVSS all the time with a 1-9 twist.
Old August 24, 2013, 04:49 AM   #9
rebs

Thank you for the replies, I am going to look at the Savage.
It sounds like the Mossberg MVP is more like an AR barrel, right ?
Old August 24, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
emcon5

Quote:
It sounds like the Mossberg MVP is more like an AR barrel, right
Not really, then again, an AR barrel is not really that much different than a bolt gun barrel, aside from having a hold drilled for the gas system. Some have funky profiles under the handguards, and many are heavier than they need to be. (no real reason to have a heavy barrel on a iron sighted carbine, yet many come that way, including one in my safe).

There are several variations of MVP, which are you looking at?
http://www.mossberg.com/products/rif...ire/mvp-series

My personal opinion, I don't see a need for a detachable magazine on a bolt rifle. For what it's worth, I have been on several extended, many-hundred-rounds-fired varmint hunts, and never once did I think "If only this rifle held more than 5 rounds" or "If only this rifle had a detachable magazine"

If you plan on doing prone or bench shooting, how far the magazine hangs below the rifle is something to consider.

For me, of the two choices I would go for the Savage simply because it doesn't use the AR magazines. Like I mentioned, the AR mags don't give me anything I care about, and they limit the use of good heavy bullets.
Old August 24, 2013, 04:52 PM   #11
rebs

There are quite a few models of Savage, do you guys have a preference or could you recommend a model to me ? For me it would be mainly a shooting range rifle from 50 to about 300 yds. I know I would want the accu-trigger and not a super heavy barrel. Maybe a medium weight barrel if there is a model with one. I plan to scope it with probably a 3-9 x 40 scope. I like the black stock with a black barrel. I don't really like the looks of the SS barrels.
Old August 24, 2013, 06:08 PM   #12
emcon5

Savage has a "Gun Finder" where you check boxes for the items you want, and it shows you the models that fit.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Checking .223, black, accutrigger, accustock, no heavy barrel gets 5 results, only 2 of which are not stainless:

Looks like the options are the 12FCV which appears to have a medium weight barrel:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FCV

and the 11FCNS, which has a sporter weight barrel:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11FCNS

If you are primarily shooting at a range from the bench, get the heavier one.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:49 PM   #13
rebs

Thank you, the 11/111 FCNS looks like what I am looking for. Does anyone have one that can tell me about its accuracy ?
Old August 24, 2013, 09:07 PM   #14
reynolds357

Have have a pile of Savages. Some of the light weight ones are tack drivers right out of the box. Some require a bit of slight work to become accurate. Usually the accustock models are pretty accurate right from the box. Compared to the MVP, the Savage is a Mercedes Benz. You usually cant go wrong with a Savage, but I cant really say anything good about the MVP.
Old August 26, 2013, 02:50 PM   #15
ntg

IMO the Savage is better build and finish...I think Mossberg has some great shot guns, but the rifles I've held and shot leave a little to be desired.
Old August 27, 2013, 07:06 AM   #16
Rimfire5

As an answer about potential accuracy, my son and two range buddies have 0.223 Savage Model 10 FCP-K versions.
They are all 1:9 twists and have a heavy barrel and muzzle brake - Law Enforcement models - all purchased because my original .308 shot so accurately.
My son and one of the buddies also have .308 Savage 10 FCP-K rifles - I have 2. My original Savage now has 6,000 rounds through it and is beginning to show signs of barrel wear. It still shoots in the 0.6s at 100 yards but it is going back to Savage for a new barrel hopefully to restore its original accuracy. I replaced it with a new one to shoot while I wait for it to get a new barrel.

As for the .223 data:
My son's .223 is new and still in the box. He got it after finding that his .308 shot as well as mine.
The two range buddy .223s shoot about the same.
One averages 0.342 for its best 25 hand load recipes.
The other averages 0.360 for its best 25 hand loads.
Both seem to shoot 40 to 55 grain bullets very well and both have incredible accuracy with 52 grain bullets - either SMKs or Berger Targets.

The Savage .308s that I have gathered data for average 0.416, 0.421, 0.548 and 0.568 for their favorite 25 hand load recipes including 150 grain, 168 grain and 175 grain bullet weights.

Between the 5 of us we now have 9 Savages - 5 .308s, 3 .223s and one .22-250.
All of them shot great out of the box without modifications.

The .22-250 is a new model 12 and is barely broken in. It also shoots great - averaging 0.397- but it hasn't had 25 different hand load variations through it yet.

Even though all of these have heavy barrels, there are a number of thin barrel Savages at our range that also shot accurately out of the box but I don't have measured group data for them.
Old August 27, 2013, 11:03 AM   #17
rebs

Thanks for all the help, I am looking for a savage with accu-stock and accu- trigger 223 without a bull barrel.