The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
hnusz

shoulder holsters

Looking for a inexpensive comfortable shoulder holster. I have been blessed by my father with a belly no hips or butt. Got nothing to hold my pants up. I use one of the cheap braided stretch belts. Tried to use otw can't keep pants up. Any ideas
Old March 1, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

firearm, carry style...

What type of firearm do you want to carry? There are many styles, leathers/fabrics, brands($$$ types).
In general you will want a shoulder holster that fits your torso-chest & is adjustable but w/o a lot of buckles, snaps, ridges, sharp edges or cheap elastic.
I prefer the angled horizontal type like the slick Aker Comfort Flex or the high end Kirkpatrick Leather style. Gravity is your friend, . The slanted angle offers a secure fit but a smooth, even draw.
For hot weather or humid climates I'd suggest a natural leather or maybe a light brown. Dark or black leather may bleed or stain your clothes.
Consider your off-side carry items too. It will balance the firearm weight & be more even. Spare magazines or speed strips(revolver), white lights(tactical flashlights), OC spray, knives, etc can all be added in some shoulder rigs(depending on the brand).
Some good sources to check include; Aker, Galco(the Miami Classic II), Mitch Rosen, Ken Null, Bianchi Intl, LawmanLeather Goods, Del Fatti, Mernickle, Don Hume, Blade-tech, Kramer Gun Leather, Kirkpatrick Gunleather, El Paso Saddlery, DeSantis, Alessi, Gould & Goodrich, Unkle Mikes/Michaels of OR.

Contact the holster maker or custom shop first. Wait time or products may be delayed. Exotic leathers(bull, horse, rhino, shark, etc are available but you may wait longer).

Clyde
Old March 1, 2013, 10:09 PM   #3
hnusz

thanks i will check them out . right now i have a S&W model 410 in .40 cal. might look at a smaller 9mm or a .45
Old March 1, 2013, 11:57 PM   #4
KO3422

I have a Del Fatti. It took forever. And it wasn't cheap. I also have a Galco that's much more affordable. I suggest you try them before you buy if that's possible.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:10 AM   #5
JimmyR

I don't do much with shoulder rigs, but I do have an Uncle Mikes nylon one, and can say to avoid it like the plague. My next attempt into shoulder rigs is a Galco Lite, since its about $80, and made by one of the best shoulder rig makers in the game.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:31 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

Ted Blocker...

I'd add the holsters from Ted Blocker; www.tedblockerholsters.com .
He did the shoulder rig for actor Don Johnson in the early seasons of the hit crime drama; Miami Vice. Johnson wore a Lifeline shoulder holster for a D&D Bren 10 10mm then he converted to a S&W 645(later a 4506 .45acp) sidearm with a Galco Miami Classic.
Blocker makes the shoulder holsters used often on the Fox FBI crime series; Bones.

It looks comfortable for carrying a firearm for long periods. I toted my chunky 96D with extended .40 barrel in a Aker Comfort Flex in the late 1990s. 12-16 hours.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

I have an Uncle Mikes and very much like it. The nylon doesn't suffer with humidity and sweat. In my case, being nylon the holster was easily modified to fit my body. I'm not very tall and the belt retaining strap needed modifying to allow me to sit and move. Price is right also. One caveat, UM seems to oversize their holsters, do try in a store before buying, if possible.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:41 AM   #8
buck460XVR

Is this for concealed or open carry?
Old March 2, 2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Grant D

hnusz...I have the same problem as you, so I recomend a good gun belt, and some Perry suspenders.
That's what I use for IWB, or OWB holsters, and it works great!
No more tugging your pants up all the time,and you can actually leave the belt somewhat loose for comfort.
When I do use a shoulder holster it's a Bianchi X15.I can carry either auto's or revolvers in it.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:17 AM   #10
DaleA

I’ve a friend with the same belly/no waist problem as you.

He has used the low priced Uncle Mike’s solution with handguns up to a full sized 1911. With the Uncle Mike’s vertical holsters that clip onto your belt he can get rid of the suspenders he usually wears.

He says it’s pretty comfortable, works well when driving, conceals very well, (there is no horizontal strap going across the front of the chest) and just slow as molasses on the draw. He doesn’t care about speed but seriously he needs a ‘time out’ in the action to get his gun into play.

FWIW I think if you used the Perry suspenders like GrantD mentioned the IWB and OWB holsters might become a possibility for you. One of the advantages to that is if you have to go someplace that doesn’t allow firearms it much easier to unclip a waistband holster than to go through the process of getting rid of the shoulder rig. For the IWB holsters you do need to buy your pants a little larger than you already do.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:36 AM   #11
dajowi

Over 35 years of buying and using shoulder holsters I've never found the two words inexpensive and comfortable in the same should rig.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:58 AM   #12
ripnbst

shoulder holsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi View Post
Over 35 years of buying and using shoulder holsters I've never found the two words inexpensive and comfortable in the same should rig.
This man is wise. In building cars it is commonly referred to as:

Power, quality, cheap...pick two.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Blue Duck

Galco makes some pretty good stuff. However the suspenders are the best deal I have found, but not the Perry's. Go to the Suspenderstore.com and buy the western suspenders that work by sliding your belt through them, also get the heaviest belt that you can find to go through your pant's loops, and yes you can leave it a little looser.

Miami Vice horizontal shoulder holster works pretty good, but slow to draw.

The Perry suspenders were a good idea but not designed right and the cheap plastic clips don't work very well IMHO, but the Leather Loops on the western suspenders are foolproof.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:38 AM   #14
hnusz

thanks guys its for concealed carry. i will check into the suspenders
Old March 3, 2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Grant D

I have all three types of suspenders,the clip on,the leather loops,and the Perrys.I find myself wearing the Perrys the most because they are easy to put on even with your pants on,and have more adjustment.
I have had no problems with them in over a year and I wear them every day.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:53 AM   #16
salvadore

You can find Bianchi X-15s and X-2100s on E-bay as well his Berns and Martin style 9r. Some new, some like new and some crappola. The Xs have the connect to your belt help to keep your pants up strap.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:53 PM   #17
Rmart30

I will 2nd the perry original suspenders in the 2" ... I suffer from the same build. I tried the perry "outback" model which only hooks at 9 and 3 on your belt (i wear at 430 owb) and they just dont have the hold of the 3 point original does which holds at about 10, 2 , and 6.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:25 PM   #18
Mystro

I own several Galco shoulder holsters and DeSantis. Outstanding quality and very comfortable.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old March 3, 2013, 09:29 PM   #19
kdemers58

shoulder

I was at Cabelas 2 weeks ago a purchased a shoulder holster made by bulldog it was only $29.00 it was for a colt comander auto but they had many others ,good luck.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:46 PM   #20
ClydeFrog

Galco...

Galco ran a "holsters for heroes" or some yay America name for our combat troops who were "down-range" .
From 09/11/2001 to 2013 I've seen US armed forces, PMCs(private military contractors), OGAs(other govt agencies), and US/NATO member intel-sworn LE officers(MI6/GIGN/SBS/ONI/DEA/FBI/DIA/DSS/ISA/ACE/etc) wearing nearly every type or style of shoulder rig for sidearms(M9/1911a1/M11/SIGs/P-35s/Mk23s/revolvers) in SW Asia.
I think many US & NATO troops got custom holsters "in-country" or used what they purchased out of pocket(or what their family members/folks mailed them).

I recall US Army General Ricardo Sanchez, the CiC of combat forces in OIF(Iraq), wearing a leather WWII era brown leather tanker rig for his Beretta General Officer M9 9mmNATO.

I think it was just for show & to look macho because since the early 1980s, most US flag officers & VIPs are surrounded by PSD(personal security) 24/07/365. The US Army CIDC(criminal investigators) & the USAF OSI(Office of Special Investigstions Special Agents) protect most VIPs & generals-admirals in combat areas.
Spec Ops(ACE, DevGru, SEALs, Rangers, SF, etc) help out sometimes too.

ClydeFrog
Old March 5, 2013, 08:35 AM   #21
sunaj

"Over 35 years of buying and using shoulder holsters I've never found the two words inexpensive and comfortable in the same should rig."

Says it all
Old March 5, 2013, 05:25 PM   #22
blueridgerunner

Just a suggestion, I have a "Sticky" brand IWB holster in adddition to a "Remora" IWB. Both do not utilize any hooks or loops to secure the holster. Instead, they both use a type of neoprene like cover to hold by friction. An added bonus is they seem to hold your pants up as well and don't drag them down at all. I found them to be quite comfortable with a .38 snubby or a 9mm auto. Don't have anything larger so I can't offer any opnion other to say I think they would work as well.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:58 AM   #23
Gaerek

Adding to the Remora style holster, I have one for my LCR that I use on occasion. Mainly it's for around the house. I've found that it shifts around too much and I find myself adjusting it fairly often. They work well for some people, but even with my belt cinched down an extra notch on it, it still moves around. I don't trust it when going out for an extended amount of time. I call it my lazy holster, for when I don't feel like getting all my gear on.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:17 PM   #24
captainrock39

If you can find somebody that can make you one with your gun it will fit better and you can customize it to what you like in a holster and straps
Old March 6, 2013, 05:44 PM   #25
edfrompa

Get a Galco Jackass Rig, comfortable, great for driving long distance. Amazon sells them, very reasonable.