The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 4, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
dutchgunsmoke

Debating a move to...

I'm seriously debating whether or not to move out of the Netherlands and settle across the Great Pond.

This is getting a worse plays to live for a guy that just want's to shoot now and again for fun.
But - as it stands at this moment - chances are that I will be forced as a law abiding citizen to turn in my registered guns. That's what one frikin' mallninja can ageeve.

Question: I know that Califorrnia and New York aren't the best states in the US to live in as a gunlover. But which states are regarded as gunwalhallas?

Where are the ranges plentiful ( or where do you just get out of your car, open up your rangebag and enjoy an afternoon's plinkin'?), the gunlaws just, fair but not stringend with all kinds of weird and stupid rules that do help to make a society safe from lawabiding citizens ( note the sarcasm here!) to own certain guns or stuff, while the criminals can have basically everything they want?

AKA gunsmoke on the coltforum and Diamondback on vuwa.net
Old December 4, 2011, 06:54 PM   #2
oneounceload

Quote:
Where are the ranges plentiful ( or where do you just get out of your car, open up your rangebag and enjoy an afternoon's plinkin'?
Most states in the Great Basin or Rocky Mountains; otherwise, add Florida, Georgia, Texas to Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, etc....

Last edited by oneounceload; December 5, 2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old December 4, 2011, 07:41 PM   #3
MTT TL

Looking at your requirements I would go with Alaska or Arizona. There is a lot more to it than gun rights however.
Old December 4, 2011, 11:08 PM   #4
357 Python

Don't forget Virginia. We are an open carry state. We currently have instant check for purchasing a gun. There is no registration and the only permit needed is for concealed carry. Ranges are usually within a hour and a half drive or less. Good hunting and fishing as well.
Old December 5, 2011, 12:54 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Most states in the great Basin or Rocky Mountains; ptherwise, add Florida, Georgia, Texas to Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, etc....
To the above, if you're more interested in the eastern states, Pennsylvania is refreshingly firearms friendly, and Florida is also. Vermont is a real sleeper -- Vermont requires no license or permit for any sort of firearms carry. (The downside is that, unlike Alaska and Arizona, Vermont also does not give residents the option of obtaining a license to carry, which severely limits reciprocity with other states.)
Old December 5, 2011, 01:06 AM   #6
jimbob86

Nebraska is nice. The economy is good here too.....
Old December 5, 2011, 01:55 AM   #7
rwilson452

Assuming you cross the Pond. What are your other requirements? Coming for work or school? If we knew more we could be a bit better help. Generally speaking, large metropolitan areas tend to be less gun friendly.
Old December 5, 2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Don P

Quote:
To the above, if you're more interested in the eastern states, Pennsylvania is refreshingly firearms friendly
Hum, must be why a friend in PA has a non-resident FLA permit for CCW to get the added stated that do not recip with PA. Personally I do not like and do not trust the states that are called Commonwealths.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 5, 2011, 09:49 AM   #9
rwilson452

Quote:
Hum, must be why a friend in PA has a non-resident FLA permit for CCW to get the added stated that do not recip with PA. Personally I do not like and do not trust the states that are called Commonwealths.
PA doesn't a long list of states that recip. because PA doesn't have a training requirement.
Old December 5, 2011, 12:09 PM   #10
ltc444

If, God forbid, I had to move to Europe, I would select Switzerland. They have a very gun friendly culture.

The government actively encourages marksmanship.

They operate along the lines of the Boers of South Africa. They attend church and have matches after services.

If I qualified for their National guard, they would issue me a Rifle and Basic load for storage in my home.

That would be a most comfortable feeling when it comes to home defense.
Old December 5, 2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
It's all in your perspective. This is an example of where/when/how a state being gun friendly can be spun (by you) as a "bad thing." As noted by rwilson, PA does not require any training as a prerequisite to issuing a license to carry firearm. For that simple reason, which to most people is an indication that PA IS gun-friendly, states that do require training will not enter into reciprocity agreements with PA. On the other hand, there are several states that will recognize the PA LTCF irrespective of reciprocity agreement.

So you think PA is bad? How about Vermont? NO license required, and no option to get a license. Thus, no reciprocity with any other state. By your criteria, then, we must rate Vermont as being not gun-friendly ... yet most people regard Vermont as being the way it should be everywhere.

Virginia is also, I believe, a commonwealth. Their gun laws are fairly user-friendly. What's your beef with the commonwealths?
Old December 5, 2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Streetking

Don't forget about the Show Me state
Old December 5, 2011, 01:20 PM   #13
pgdion

The list of states that are OK to move into is much longer than the list of states to avoid. Some of the best are probably Texas, Arizona, and Wyoming (a personal favorite ). I live in Minnesota and it's good here. If you're looking to stay in a cooler climate, then states like Minnesota and Wisconsin are pretty good places to live. Lots of lakes and rivers, good for boating, fishing, snowmobiling, ect. Also lots of ranges and clubs, permits are easy to get (permits to purchase handguns are free, carry permits are going to cost a training class and an application fee), no delays on buying guns, lots of free outdoor ranges (mostly up north though), and you can have personal ranges as well if you're in the rural areas and have the land for it. I bought 10 acres an hour north of the big cities so I could have my own range. (should have bought 20 though).
Old December 5, 2011, 01:29 PM   #14
Skadoosh

Quote:
Don't forget Virginia. We are an open carry state. We currently have instant check for purchasing a gun. There is no registration and the only permit needed is for concealed carry. Ranges are usually within a hour and a half drive or less. Good hunting and fishing as well.
I can vouch for this! Virginia is a very Second Amendment-friendly state.
Old December 5, 2011, 07:10 PM   #15
MTT TL

Oh and don't forget California.

Old December 7, 2011, 06:17 PM   #16
dutchgunsmoke

California.... Not an option. Hate Eartquakes.

But there are more luring options.

Thanks for your thoughts.

AKA gunsmoke on the coltforum and Diamondback on vuwa.net
Old December 7, 2011, 09:08 PM   #17
raimius

Most of the western states have a lot of federally owned land, managed by the BLM, which allows shooting in many places. I found Texas and Colorado to be pretty good, for finding ranges within decent distances. I'm currently in southern Alabama, and there are multiple pistol ranges near me, but rifle ranges are a little less common.
Old December 7, 2011, 09:40 PM   #18
Unistat76

Michigan isn't too bad. Not as good as Arizona or Alaska, but about average. Our biggest complaint is pistol registration.

On the plus side for Michigan is the west side of the state. West Michigan has a very large population of Dutch descent. They are mostly old-school conservative dutchmen. I went to school over there and ended up marrying a dutch girl. I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Dutch Experience.

I'm sure you'd get a laugh out of this.
Old December 7, 2011, 11:43 PM   #19
hermannr

Skagit County in Washington state has a lot of native Dutch people. Most came after WWII so a lot still speak Dutch too.

You would feel very comfortable there with the tulips and farms. Lots of flat, reclaimed farmland, backed by beautiful mountains.

google or look at the wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skagit_County,_Washington
Old December 8, 2011, 12:19 AM   #20
armoredman

Arizona has a lot of great options, and not all of the state is desert, either. I have a great range 10 minutes from my house with no fees or supervision. AZ DOC will hire on a permanent resident card, too - my boss is a Mexican citizen working on her American citizenship.
Old December 8, 2011, 12:24 AM   #21
MTT TL

That reminds me. Alabama. No open carry and if your paperwork (emigration papers not weapons) is not straight they will throw you in the clink. But getting a permit is pretty easy.
Old December 8, 2011, 09:22 AM   #22
tet4

Quote:
That reminds me. Alabama. No open carry and if your paperwork (emigration papers not weapons) is not straight they will throw you in the clink. But getting a permit is pretty easy.

Alabama is open carry legal, just few people bother - they just get a permit to carry concealed. If you are here illegally, you deserve some time in the state hotel. That should be the case in any state.

Anyway, to the OP, if you like the northern european weather, I second oregon or washington. Both really beautiful places with good gun laws (for the most part).
Old December 8, 2011, 10:20 AM   #23
MTT TL

Well, you can walk around with but you can't carry it in your car. What good is that in Alabama?
Old December 8, 2011, 11:27 AM   #24
Northern Gal

"Skagit County in Washington state has a lot of native Dutch people. Most came after WWII so a lot still speak Dutch too.

You would feel very comfortable there with the tulips and farms. Lots of flat, reclaimed farmland, backed by beautiful mountains."

I totally support this one. I'm in Northern MN - and I don't plan on leaving as, to me, this is God's Country. But if I had to move somewhere, Skagit County is where I'd go!
Old December 8, 2011, 11:33 AM   #25
alloy

If I was going to the trouble and had the means to contemplate that move, that firing/target area would be on my own property and the driving issues wouldn't be 1/2 the issue. Although I would still choose a firearm friendly state.