The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 21, 2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Shorts

NavyFed Ft. Worth - 'No guns' posted

Not sure if anyone else uses Navy Fed out in Ft Worth but there is an illegal 'no guns' sign on the door. Since we were going in for an appointment we decided to leave our heat in the truck and address this later.

At any rate, I'm conflicted. I was joking with my husband. On one hand concealed is concealed and that is not a legal post. But on the other, we really need a mortgage loan

In all seriousness, I think I'll be sending a polite letter to Navy Fed addressing it. We have done our business with them for awhile and are satisfied with them as our banking institution. I find it ironic that Navy Fed prefers to prohibit the very people from carrying who have unselfishly sacrificed through military service.
Old March 21, 2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Back in the early 1990s I used to work for Navy Federal at the headquarters in Vienna/Merrifield, Virginia. The guy who did branch services management had a big stack of "No Gun Here" signs for the branches in Texas, and not a single one of them was legal because the wording wasn't up to Texas state law.

Oddly enough, Navy Federal has a VERY spotty record in putting up signs on branches.

Supposedly the branch in Springfield, Virginia, has a no CCW sign, while the branch at the headquarters in Vienna/Merrifield has no sign. I have carried a gun into the Vienna/Merrifield branch many times (yes, even when I was an employee).

And, I can guarantee you that if you send such a letter, you'll get back pretty much a form letter talking about providing a safe environment for employees and members, blah blah blah blah. Yes, blatant hypocrisy. Although, that was with the old President, Brian McDonnald (a horse's ass) as head of the CU. Cutler Dawson may have a different take on it, I don't know.

Why don't you just use the web to apply for your mortgage? I just finished up with mine. I wouldn't have had to have stepped foot in a branch had not the electronic document verification/signatures system been down.

Rates are REALLY good right now. I closed at 4.75, but now they're down to 4.625.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 21, 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Shorts

Thanks Mike. We did finish up the application with the agent. Since this is our first time buying a house we wanted to talk with someone face to face in case we did have questions. (we also had to make some deposits right away)

I figured the normal form letter about "safety" would be the response to any letter I sent. At the very least, they'll hear another voice who disagrees with their version of safety.
Old March 21, 2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Not sure if anyone else uses Navy Fed out in Ft Worth but there is an illegal 'no guns' sign on the door.
The sign itself is not "illegal" as claimed. It is perfectly legal to post. The words on the sign are also legal to post, but not legally binding. Just because the words do not carry the power of law does not make the sign illegal.
Old March 21, 2009, 08:28 AM   #5
Shorts

DNS, yes. I say "illegal" in that it is not a 30.06. It is simply a gun with a circle and slash through it.

Now, if a person was made while carrying they need to leave when they are asked. If the person refuses to leave, it is now trespass.

So, for reference, from TexasCHLforum
Off-limits to CHL's even if no 30.06 sign is posted:
School buildings - TPC §46.03(a)(1)
School grounds where a school sponsored activity is on-going - TPC §46.03(a)(1)
School bus, or other school passenger transportation vehicle. - TPC §46.03(a)(1)
Polling place on election day (including early voting) - TPC §46.03(a)(2)
Court or court office. - TPC §46.03(a)(3)
Race track (licensed for betting) - TPC §46.03(a)(4)
Airport secured area (past metal-detectors in terminal building) TPC §46.03(a)(5)
Within 1,000 feet of a place of execution on the day of an execution, but only if given notice (not a 30.06 notice). - TPC §46.03(a)(6)
51% locations ("bars") - businesses that derive 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption. TPC §46.035(b)(1)
Highschool, collegiate, interscholastic, or professional sporting events. TPC §46.035(b)(2).
Correctional facility - TPC §46.035(b)(3).

Off-limits to CHL's ONLY if a 30.06 sign is posted:
Note: The statutory requirement for a 30.06 sign or notice is not found in the individual Penal Code provisions cited after each location. The requirement is set forth in TPC §46.035(j).

Hospital or nursing home. TPC §46.035(b)(4).
Amusement park (as statutorily defined below). TPC §46.035(b)(5).
Church, synagogue or other established place of worship. TPC §46.035(b)(6).
Meetings of governmental entities. TPC §46.035(c).

Relevant statutory definitions from TPC §46.035(f):

(1) "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
Old March 21, 2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Shorts, there is a difference between being an "illegal sign" and a sign that does not have legally binding wording or symbolism. An illegal sign would be a sign that is posted without proper permits or conforming to the law for the allowance of posting...if there are laws pertaining to such.
Old March 21, 2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Shorts

DNS, you're preaching to the choir. I'm not sure exactly what kickback you feel I am giving you. I posted to simply inform any other Ft Worth NFCU users there is that sign there.
Old March 21, 2009, 01:45 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Although it's not at all a common usage, illegal and unlawful have been used interchangeably in the same manner that Shorts has.

Over the years illegal has come more to mean an active violation of law by an individual.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.