The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2010, 10:17 PM   #51
Hammer1

Do those of you who depend on the sound of the racking of the pump action slide to change the scenario...

Also carry your 1911 without one in the chamber and rack the 1911 slide to alter the scenario ?

Old August 29, 2010, 10:31 PM   #52
USAF_Vet

I keep the chamber of my shotgun empty for safety reasons (kids in the house) and my pistol the same way. Still, in the event of an intruder, I still give a warning just to make sure it's not family dropping by unexpectedly. Be kinda hard to explain to mom why her other son is dead because I jumped the gun.

I don't expect the sound of the action to scare away the BG, but the sound does harden my resolve. If I'm willing to rack it, I'm willing to blast it.

Bottom line, the only way I'm going to alter a scenario for sure is firing the weapon.

Last edited by USAF_Vet; August 29, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old August 30, 2010, 12:18 AM   #53
Scattergun Bob

Hammer1

I try hard not to enter into arguments on this forum. It is not worth the time on my part. However at a point enough is enough.

First, in my days as a combatant in the military, 1911's WERE carried in a condition of hammer down, chamber empty, loaded magazine. SO I am not sure what your point is.

Cruiser ready, (LOOK it up if you do not know what condition of readiness that is), has been in effect with every large agency and local LE for over twenty years, for a very simple reason, People make mistakes under stress!!!

The act of charging a pump action fighting scattergun IS the way professionals prepare the weapon for combat, it is not for the effect of the "sound". If in fact it causes a passive response of the enemy, so much the better, it is, what it is, an escalation to ready for war status.

Any individual who believes this is folly, is simply a "want to be". enough said.
Old August 30, 2010, 01:26 AM   #54
Bill DeShivs

A short double sure handles better than a pump with extended magazine!
Old August 30, 2010, 08:47 AM   #55
Scattergun Bob

Bill

I agree, the plus of a double is that folks don't get carried away with hanging all kinds of stuff on them. What you are left with is a quick, light, point-able weapon. Everything is a trade off or a compromise, it's up to the individual to figure out what best fits his needs.

Good Luck & Be safe
Old August 31, 2010, 10:03 AM   #56
Fifth Wheel

I'll stick with my ardent belief that, if I am facing a life-threatening situation, I plan to deal with the threat as quickly and quietly as I can. I don't plan to pump the action to notify "Here I Am!" I also carry my 1911 cocked and locked.

Re pumping the action and giving away your position, the following is from a member of Get Off the X Forum:

I have seen literally hundreds of fatal gun shot wounds on people that came into the State Medical Examiner's Office. Of all of the wounds the shotgun did the most damage compared to all of the other caliber/weapon types that I have seen. As to the myth that working the pump on a pump action shotgun will scare the bad guys to death I had an old police officer set the record straight. He had worked a shooting where the homeowner tried the work the pump on the shotgun to scare the bad guy away. The homeowner was in his bedroom with the door closed. Right after he worked the pump on his shotgun he heard a metallic click then several rounds came flying through the door from the side where the bad guy was located. The metallic click was the safety on an AK being switched off in response to the home owner chambering a round in his shotgun. The guys here are right the only sound the bad guy should hear is the report of the weapon when you shoot them. Sorry for the long post.
Old August 31, 2010, 05:55 PM   #57
TylerD45ACP

1911 is alway in Condition One. Cocked and locked, baby. I dont know why carrying like that makes people uncomfortable honestly.
Old August 31, 2010, 08:51 PM   #58
Casparado

I've got all 3 types:
Double barrel side by side, total safe queen
Pump 2+1 long barrel for hunting
and my favorite, the Mossberg 930-SPX 7+1 semi-auto for HD/SD
You can probably guess which gets the most use/play
Currently: Ruger Mini-30 w/ millet red dot, Mossberg 930-spx, Remington pump 12ga 2+1, Ruger 10/22, Phoenix HP22RM, Beretta 92FS, Browning HP 9mm, S&W M.G. in 45LC, Mosin Nagant Izzy Hex, and a couple safe queens.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:17 PM   #59
hardworker

I would feel just as confident with either honestly. I don't envision myself getting in any epic shootouts where more than a shot or two is needed. Besides, who's gonna stick around after that first barrel goes off?
Old August 31, 2010, 09:38 PM   #60
headbangerJD

I was always under the impression that a 12ga pump shotgun was the ideal HD weapon. But, I've recently purchased a SxS shotgun and besides the fact that it is limited to 2 shots, i think that it would make just as good a HD weapon as my Mossberg 590A1. The reason being is that SxS are usually shorter overall than similar pumps (except for pistol grips), extremely reliable, and offer a higher rate of fire. The downside is capacity.

So, what's the better shotgun for home defense? Well, it's all up to you.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:12 PM   #61
dannyb

The "rack the pump" guys must have very quiet, empty, and small houses. In my house, the clocks tick, the floors squeak, the HVAC system clicks and clacks on and off, the refrigerator's compressor goes on and off, and the dog would be barking and howling. Chances are that if the dog is howling like that, I'll trigger the alarm system. Also, I keep the shotgun well maintained and lubricated. I have my doubts that putting in a round is going make the BG zero in on my position. More likely he'll be trying to figure out where the dog is and what kind. The alarm is more likely to make him run than the sound of the pump. And if he runs in the wrong direction - like into the bedroom where we've taken cover - I'll have a round racked and ready.