The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2000, 03:29 AM   #1
oberkommando

Have aquired used FAL and the barrel is a heavy Israeli but the inside is very rough looking and I have been scubbing it with patches/brush with a variety of cleaning solutions Sweets, Kroil/shooters choice,hoppes,usp bore paste, breakfree but the bore still looks rough almost like rust or piting, an not sure because whenever I use sweets and let sit for a while the patches are allways very blue. Can copper make the barrel appear that rough? Would shooting it a few times clean out any rust? I thought I might heat it up and then clean it, also thought that maybe a stainless steel bore brush might be called for but am not sure. Never had a bore this bad as I take care of my stuff, but this used gun was clearly neglected..
Wish I had the sinclair bore scope and monitor.
Any suggestions would be apprciated, thanks.
Old January 17, 2000, 07:29 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Oberkommando, if it looks that rough it's probably pitted. On the other hand if you patches are still coming out blue or bluish green there is still copper fouling present. You might try JB Compound. If that doesn't clean it up nothing will. From your description though I would think that it's had corrosive ammo shot through it without proper cleaning. George
Old January 17, 2000, 08:15 AM   #3
MontaniSemperLiberi

You might want to try the "old timers" method and that being hot soapy water with a copper brush(stainless brush a NO NO) and give it a good scrubbing. Follow up with a tight fitting patch covered w/ Bon Ami Powder for several strokes and then wash it out w/ hot water and then dry and wet patch w/ a good gun oil and let it sit for a day. Clean out the oil and shoot it and see if there is any improvement. The Bon Ami is a mild abrasive and will help polish out the pits,erosion,etc. you apparently have in the barrel. What have you got to loose??
Just a suggestion.
Old January 17, 2000, 03:51 PM   #4
metro25

Try spraying the barrel with brake cleaner to degrease the bore. Then swab the bore with GM Top Engine cleaner, let it sit for about 20 min. Run a patch down and see what happens.
Old January 17, 2000, 03:54 PM   #5
oberkommando

Thanks for the suggests, I will try them in order and see if that helps, the rifling looks good it's just between them that is really rough. This is shooter for fun and dont mind experimenting with this barrel, worse case spend a 125 for new israeli hvy.

Thanks again
Old January 17, 2000, 04:26 PM   #6
Joe Portale

oberkommando and anyone else who wants it,

I have a formula for a great bore cleaner, I believe it is called "Ed's Red" bore cleaner. It uses ATF and kerosene along with a couple other common things. I would have posted it here, but it is Abode Acrobat format. But, if anyone wants it, drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you. ([email protected])

Just for the record, this stuff does work great. I used it on an old barrel that was really smuzed up with powder fouling, copper and lead. I bought the rifle primarily for the action, but decided to try cleaning up the bore to see what will happen. It turned out pretty good. I barrel that I would have rated as a 4 on a 10 scale was cleaned up to a 7 or 8. I did have to plug one end and let it soak for two days, but it clean up.

Joe POrtale
AKA Sonoran Sidewinder
Old January 18, 2000, 10:18 PM   #7
Will Beararms

I have an easier solution. Give the weapon to me. I promise I'll take good care of it.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old January 18, 2000, 10:22 PM   #8
swifter...

I've had RB-17 (from Sinclair's) remove crap that NECO firelapping did not touch...
Long soaks, lots of brush time.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...