The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 10, 2006, 05:06 PM   #1
kidvillain41300

Northern FLA Feral Pigs 400# plus!

We've been cornin a bunch of wild feral pigs at the hunt camp and set up the tree cam for pics to see what has been coming in and tearing up the surroundings where we dumped the corn. The herd is about 20-30 and 2 of these are well over 350# if not closer to 400#. We named 1 of them Blueback, and the other 2 step.....2 step cause when he crosses a road it you only hear 2 steps!!! What I am planning is to set up a tree stand real close to the dropped feed and try and get a shot at either of these monsters. I'll be using a Marlin 1895 with a 405gr FNRP. What kind of shot placement should I be taking from within 50 yards with such a big pig and big bullet? I was thinking neck since a vital shot is harder than heck......these pups have 3-4inch cutters on em to, hence why I'll be in the tree!!!
Old May 10, 2006, 06:20 PM   #2
ME109

Went Hog hunting for the first time back in late March in Arkansas. I didnt get one but the guy I went with had his son shoot one with a 25-06. He went behind the ear, but unfortunately the height of the stand caused the bullet to exit out of the opposite picnic ruining it. Seems to be the way they do things.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Harley Quinn

Shoot for the vitals

Just behind the shoulder ! 1895 in ? caliber??? 45-70 Government, that will do the job, as mentioned.

HQ
Old May 11, 2006, 01:04 PM   #4
BIGRED

i have shot alot of florida hogs,

50 yards = head shot
a 400# hog will have a head as large as a cow. easily shot, quick kill, no meat loss.

quartering towards = aim for the eye
quartering away or broadside = aim for the base of the ear
facing away = base of the skull between the ears
facing straight on = wait for it to move

a hog feeding moves around alot, even though they are hovering over a pile of corn they will move around alot especially if there are other pigs with it.

i would be more conserned on how you are going to get that thing in your truck......
Old May 11, 2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Mannlicher

oh my, I sure remember back when I was younger, hunting all around Middleburg. I was going to NB Forrest then in West Jax, and we would slip down along 220A, or 21A off 218, and hunt deer, turkey and hogs. Good luck with that biggun! Black Creek used to be just full of Bass too.
I am hunting Sourthern Georgia for hogs lately. For hogs , I like a Marlin .44 mag 1894, with the 270 grain Speer GDSP bullet. Most of the hogs I take I shoot behind the front leg, with the bullet angling forward. This usually takes the heart out, and ruins the lungs.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 11, 2006, 08:36 PM   #6
hoghunting

I hunt hogs in Texas very frequently and my favorite shot is broadside, halfway up the body, and directly behind the front shoulder. Will take out both lungs and the shock usually affects the spine.

You can make the hogs stay longer at a site by making them work a bit. Take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with corn. Then fill it up with water and put the top on. Let it sit outside in the sun so it will sour - about 5-7 days. Dig a hole( I know, it is work) about 3-5 feet deep and pour the corn in. Cover it back up and start watching the site. The hogs will smell the soured corn and dig, then dig more to get to the corn. Do this in a spot where you do not plan to use the ground for planting or grazing as the hogs will tear up a
15'-20' diameter hole. Not nice for the landowner.
Old May 12, 2006, 08:05 AM   #7
BIGRED

A pig pipe is much easier and less messy than the dig hole trick. plus the coons don't mess with it much because they can't roll it around.

i take a 6 foot piece of 4" pipe and drill 8-10 1/2" holes in it. i put a 4" endcap on one end and glue it. then i take another cap and slip fit it on the other end and drill a 1/2" hole thru the side of cap & thru pipe & out the other side of Pipe/cap. i fill it with corn slip the cap on and run a 10' peice of 3/16 coated wire cable thru both holes and then tie/lock it to a tree.

the hogs will push it around until the corn is gone. usually lasts 7-10 days.
the hogs can smell the corn and only get a few peices out, it pisses them off that they can't eat it all but they will eventually figure out to push the pipe around and corn will fall out.

another trick i use when i am hunting is i put out a 1/2 bag of cracked corn and spread it out before i go to hunt. as long as they smell the corn they will stay there to find it. it get down in the dirt and takes alot longer to eat.
Old May 13, 2006, 08:18 AM   #8
Mannlicher

mixing a little diesel fuel with the corn is another little trick that works. We use that and pack it into a 4 inch flexible plastic pipe, and drill it full of holes. The corn comes out as they shake and push it.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 13, 2006, 01:50 PM   #9
Harley Quinn

Hogs like diesel?

I thought they were smart don't they know diesel is bad for them?

I thought you were making a bomb there for a minute, add a little fertilizer shoot at them with a tracer round, and barbequed on the hoof.

HQ
Old May 20, 2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Mannlicher

Trust me here Harley, hogs LOVE diesel fuel mixed with feed.

Old May 22, 2006, 07:53 AM   #11
BIGRED

The hogs in my hunting spot must hate coons because of the 550+ Digital Game pics i have gotten in the past 5 months not 1 coon has been in there.
i don't use diesel or any special concoctions. if you want more Corn Scent on the ground or in the air mix some cracked corn in with the whole corn in the feeder. i makes a corn dust cloud and the little peices get stuck in all of the bushes and they stay there longer looking for the "corn" they smell.