The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 30, 2005, 11:09 PM   #1
Georgian

Remington 870 Youth Model

Hey yall. I'm really interested in getting an 870 Youth gun and was wanting some opinions on the gun itself. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless
Old December 31, 2005, 03:09 AM   #2
InSoMNiaX23

The 870 is a great gun. It is the platform that I, and countless other people have learned on. I got mine when I was 18 so I never needed the scaled down stock, but as far as I know, the only thing different about the youth model is the stock dimensions. This allows you to swap it out for a full size stock whenever the short one is out grown. If you do a search, there is seemingly an endless amount of discussion about all things 870.
Old December 31, 2005, 04:22 AM   #3
Lycanthrope

Talked my girlfriend into a 20 gauge model and it was perfect for her. Excellent huting shotty and I was impressed how well it handled for me for possible home defense work. The 870 is an excellent shotgun.
Old December 31, 2005, 10:32 AM   #4
BoltWorks

Highly recommend the 21" barrel "turkey gun" in 20 gauge. It has synthetic camo stock, and accepts an aftermarket mag extension to 7+1. The 20 gauge does not have the troublesome"dimples" that the 12 has. This is the perfect hunting/home defense weapon for my wife and myself in my opinion.
enjoy.
Old January 3, 2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Georgian

Well yall it looks as if I'm gonna pick up my 870 Youth Friday. I went into one of my local dealers today and found the exact model I was looking for. It retails for $307, tax included. So I'm planning on going Friday and picking it up. Any advice or anything would be greatly appreciated. This shotgun will be my first pump and my first gun buy also. I've been around guns all my life, and am now finally gonna buy one with my own dough. Heck, I wish I woulda had enough money to get it today, but I was short a few bucks.

God Bless
Old January 3, 2006, 03:08 PM   #6
OneInTheChamber

870 is awesome. I would not recommend getting a shorter stock unless you absolutely have to. I got mine when I was about 5'4'' and it never bothered me (full size gun). I believe the youth model has the shorter barrel too, with you'll want to switch out to get the best trap/skeet gun.

Chase
Old January 3, 2006, 03:13 PM   #7
HGKosteck

It's a great starter gun!

I got one for my wife, and, she loves it.

She now can handle my Mossberg 500 without a problem.

She still likes the 870 20 gauge better, though.

Could not reccomend the gun more.
Old January 3, 2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Georgian

I shouldered a standard 20 gauge and the Youth, I couldnt really tell the difference. My Winchester 94 has about the same LOP that the Youth does, so thats probably why I didnt notice it. I know that when I shoulder my brothers full size 870 Express that I'm kinda uncomfortable, didnt feel uncomfortable at all with the Youth. So we'll see how it goes.

God Bless