The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2016, 03:48 PM   #1
cw308

Finished for the season

I don't shoot in the cold months, thought I may have squeezed one more range trip but New Years Eve , blew out my lower back. I'm walking like John Wayne, sitting with the heating pad, but this forum has helped pass the time with good reading. Thank you all.
Old January 2, 2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I'm in California.

That is all

Just kidding. But I am in the California central valley where it's fairly warm (just finished grilling chicken outside on coals, for example). But even at that, I shoot less. It's the time of year where I do more "back burner" loading associated projects - like chamfering and deburring new or once-fired brass. Dusting the shelves off; straightening up; that sort of thing. My load bench is out in the garage and it gets a bit nippy out there for loading too.

In the winter, chronographing grinds to a near halt. My range, the way it's oriented, coupled with the low angle of the sun, disallows the chrono to work properly unless it's a thin-high-cloudy day (which acts as the diffusers).

So yeah, the loading and shooting slows down for me too.

Hope your back gets better.
Old January 2, 2016, 05:54 PM   #3
condor bravo

Well, that's unfortunate but hope that new year's eve didn't do you in. If you were only out here in the usually warm and comfortable southland, your shooting season could be extended indefinitely without the heating pad. But back with an abundance of enthusiasm if only that damned snow and minus 30 degree temperatures in LINY will ever go away. We'll try to keep your spirits up. But like I say, you guys in the east still have us beat when it comes to having an abundance of Trail Boss powder. But little consolation in that respect I would guess compared to laying around all winter with cabin fever waiting for the thaw.
Old January 2, 2016, 06:41 PM   #4
cw308

Thanks guy's , my back will get better, just a bump in the road. Would loved to have had another range trip . In the past years the end of November was getting to cold. Now its time to clean an prep all my brass. Living in the warmer states does seem nice.
Old January 2, 2016, 11:16 PM   #5
Armed_Chicagoan

Only issue in winter is trying to find brass in the snow. The heat actually bothers me more than cold does, you can always dress for cold but you can only do so much for heat!
Old January 2, 2016, 11:26 PM   #6
849ACSO

I have a wood stove in the shop, so when I have a few hours, I fire it up and sit at the bench. I'm in the Midwest, so it gets into the teens and twenties her pretty regular through this part of the year. Oddly enough, there's no grass to mow, not much outside work to consume time, so I find I do more loading and shooting this time of year.

I'd rather have to put on an extra sweatshirt under my Carhartt than sweat my can off trying to test a load or chrono a new load.

Happy New Year to all.
Old January 2, 2016, 11:35 PM   #7
rebs

I also have lower back problems and knee problems. The cold seems to make the knees worse. I still get out if the temp in in the 43 and up range. Any colder than that and it is the indoor range and pistol shooting. The colder days give me plenty of time to process brass and reload for the spring. Actually I prefer to do reloading stuff during the winter months and get a stock pile for the summer months.
Old January 3, 2016, 06:49 AM   #8
Mike / Tx

Hope you feel better soon....
Old January 3, 2016, 11:06 AM   #9
g.willikers

Sorry to hear about your back.
Nasty business, that.
If it doesn't get better soon, find a therapist.
There are exercises that can really help with back problems.
No need to suffer.
Old January 3, 2016, 01:24 PM   #10
cw308

You guys are great. I just have to look at it that its my turn in the barrel. This forum has good info & good people. To all , have a happy & healthy new year. Be Safe out there. Chris
Old January 3, 2016, 03:04 PM   #11
rebs

I have been to physical therapy and didn't get too much help. Then I went to a massage therapist and that helped more. I have a knot in the muscle on my left side lower back, it has been there off and on for a few years now. Sometimes it is not so bad and other times it is down right painful making it difficult to stand or walk for too long. Another thing is as soon as I sit down the pain will go away but return again as soon as I stand or walk too long. I went to the Dr a few years ago and he examined my back and seems to think the problem is in the muscle and not in my spine. I have lost 34 lbs and that has seemed to help as well. He also gave me a book on your back that has exercises in it to help with back pain.
Old January 3, 2016, 04:51 PM   #12
cw308

regs, this is a problem I've had off an on for years it's my spine L1 - L5 from years of doing things the hard way I guess. Learn to live with, happens not when lifting something heavy , happens when as little as leaning the wrong way. Time heals all things. Have a Happy & Healthy New Year, Chris
Old January 3, 2016, 06:20 PM   #13
Average Joe

Me too, I have ended my range time for this season. Can't do the cold anymore, so now its reloading time. From now till spring, I reload for the warm weather range trips.
Old January 3, 2016, 08:43 PM   #14
Longshot4

I don't want to think about my Back, knees, and well any more of that... It won't do me any good. It's time to stock up and tune up the cold steel.
There's lots to learn and the computer is a great source. The bench top is open with plenty to work on. I hope it's a short winter.