The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 11, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Rogervzv

Henry .22 lever action tube fed rifle

Well, I handled one of these at the LGS and impulsively bought it. This is the "carbine" model; not the Golden Boy. I always wanted to own a Henry. Loved the feel of the lever action.

Comments, thoughts, advice concerning this firearm?
Old March 11, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2
TexIndian

While I've heard less than pleasant things about the accuracy of some of their big bore guns, everyone I know who has a .22 says they shoot great. Congrats!!
Old March 11, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
North East Redneck

I have the Henry H101. Lots of fun to shoot. It has ??? many rounds through it. Never had an issue. I use it for plinking and once in a great while squirrels (prefer the shotgun or RWS 350 .22 pellet). Its a nice enough gun for the price and the action is slick as hell. Hope you enjoy it.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:47 PM   #4
JWT

My Henry .17HMR is amazingly accurate. Smoothest action I've ever handled in a lever gun.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
kutz

My Henry, BSA centennial .22 is accurate, smooth action & purty.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6
alex0535

Have owned an H001 for about 12 years. Very pleased with the rifle, and the accuracy it is capable of.

Impulsive as the decision may seem, you picked a good one to impulse buy.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:47 PM   #7
rabbit hunter

Surprise, surprise: I always thought of the Henry as a pretty cheap thing. Well, it is less expensive to purchase; but when I finally got around to adding one to my lever collection, I found the action to be super smooth, the wood to be quality walnut, the reliability to be great, the fit & finish to be very good, and the accuracy to be completely satisfacfory. It is almost the equal of a much more expensive model no longer in production. That's my opinion & I'm sticking to it.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
mr.t7024

Henry .22

I have the Golden Boy in 17HMR & the Henry Carbine in .22 LR & the accuracy is excellent,wood to metal fit excellent,customer service is excellent. Did I say I was impressed with HRAC, well I am...! Cliff
Old March 12, 2013, 05:21 AM   #9
az_imuth

Advice? IF you can find some ammo, go shoot the heck out of it. Rimfire leverguns are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

As for the brand, I have a Henry GB and a standard model that have both been excellent rifles. They perform exactly as they should, they look good and they were inexpensive compared to the other models I own. To top it all off, they have the smoothest actions of any rimfire leverguns that I've fired. I think you made a wise purchase, so get out there and enjoy it!
Old March 12, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
alex0535

My only advice for using a Henry .22 is to cycle the lever quickly and completely. You will get more reliable feeding and ejection this way.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Merad

Just bought one last weekend! Can't wait a few more days to try it out.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:09 PM   #12
The Great Mahoo

Henry .22 lever action tube fed rifle

I passed on a golden boy 22lr back in November and have been kicking myself since. On the plus side, not buying it left me with funds to get a Mini14 I came across at a good price just at the start of the panic

A Goldenboy is definitely high on my things to acquire when I can.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:27 AM   #13
chris in va

I've had one a couple years.

Lots of fun and smooth action. It goes with me more than my AR.

One caveat, when this thing jams, good grief. What a PITA to clear. I have to disassemble the receiver.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Hunter Customs

I feel you picked a good gun to buy, plus they are USA made.
I bought my oldest grandson one about 13 years ago when he was 6 years old.
I've lost count of how many bricks of 22 ammo has been shot through that rifle, I know most of it was from my supply.
He's got a lot of enjoyment from that rifle and it's still shooting great.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 14, 2013, 10:56 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

Excellent rifles - butter smooth actions. I have a H001Y (youth model) that has the same length barrel as yours. I bought it off of a friend - it's one of the old Brooklyn address rifles but was NIB. I love it. I put a "Crickett" compact scope on it as I have some vision problems - zeroed it in and it's a great shooting rifle. With the ammo shortage - the nice thing is that they will eat just about anything and will shoot shorts as well.

You really need to go over to rimfirecentral - there is a forum over there just on the Henry - lots of good fellas and a lot of helpful information.

In regards to a comment about accuracy - Henry did have a bad batch of rear sights that got through - but - if you have a problem with yours, they will make it right. Their customer service is second to none and they are great folks to deal with - if you have a problem, they'll take care of it.

Congrats on your new Henry - you'll love it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 15, 2013, 02:31 PM   #16
TB9

i have one of the old brooklyn n.y. h001 .22s that i purchased new for my dad from wal-wart back in 99 i think he realy loved this rifle . i got it back 2 1/2 yrs. ago unfortunately. lots of great memories of my dad every time i shoot it though.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:32 AM   #17
Rogervzv

Thanks for all the info, fellows. I will be picking the rifle up in a few days -- getting through the 10 day California wait ...
Old March 17, 2013, 10:06 AM   #18
22-rimfire

Their strong point is the smooth action and a lot smoother than the Marlin 39A which is a better rifle in my opinion. I have the mare's leg for fun.