The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 29, 2008, 03:13 AM   #1
Bigoledude

Can a bore-scope help create profits?

We have started out doing recoil pads. Me and my partner will soon attend a one-week course in Trinidad Colorado on correctly preparing gun metal for finishes such as bluing, parkerizing and the new paint jobs. Of course, we will also offer the finish work.

I recently had an opportunity to look into my rifle's bores through a "Hawkeye" bore scope. I would have paid good money right-then-and-there to have all of the carbon and copper removed that was still in my barrel. I would have sworn these barrels were clean. Much effort had been expended to get them clean. What a waste of time and, so many years of that useless process.

Now, I can clean any bores spotless with much less effort. And, with the bore scope, show the client the before-and-after. The next purchase will be an ultrasonic cleaner. By far, the most common failures we encounter are caused by fouled and dirty guns. This salt marsh and it's bottomless gumbo soil do terrible things to our guns.

We have a gun-n-knife show near here every month. My thought was to set up a booth allowing the potential customers to look into their bores and offering to clean the dirty ones. I would also display our recoil pad work on some of the finer guns we've done. Whadda ya think?
Old October 29, 2008, 03:56 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

It will also show erosion wear or wear at the muzzle from improper cleaning both of which could generate barrel replacement business.
Old October 29, 2008, 03:59 AM   #3
k Squared

Yes for a few bucks

Bigoledude,

I have been tempted to buy a bore scope, but am not ready to cough up that kind of money. I would be glad to pay a few bucks to get a good look down the bores of my rifles, especially my antiques.

My only reservation would be dragging my rifles in and out of a gun show.

Have you ever considered renting the scope out?
Old October 29, 2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Harry Bonar

bore scope

Sir;
Yea, it will show you your bore - and if you think you have a good rifle and bore it will suprise the daylights out of you!
I see no reason for one - all it will show are the imperfections in a rifle bore. ALL rifle bores HAVE IMPERFECTIONS IN THEM! If you want to "think less" of your rifle, then scope it inside.
Harry B.
Old October 29, 2008, 02:29 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Get the bore scope and one of those electronic bore cleaners. The combination can work wonders for a gun and for your bottom line since, after you amortize the relatively small equipment cost, it is all gravy.

Jim
Old October 29, 2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Bigoledude

I agree, the majority of folks attending a gun show do not bring a gun with them. My plan was to offer those people without guns, a coupon/business card that would provide them a FREE look into their bores at our shop.

At the show, we certainly could provide them with gun bores to look at in varied stages of fouling. My guess is that there would be a few booths with used guns, who's owners might allow us to clean their bores in a demonstration.
Old October 30, 2008, 07:44 AM   #7
ActivShootr

Dude,

I would skip the bore scope and buy an really good ultrasonic cleaner. Give out coupons for X% off a cleaning. Just my .02.
Old October 30, 2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Pahoo

Absolutely but remember that some bores would fail depending on how hard or detailed you look into them. I use to work in a testing lab, in Colorado and some folks would bring in equipment that looked and functioned perfectly fine. That is until it failed one of our tests and then folks got fairly upset. I still believe that if you look at something hard enough and with the right, equipment, you will find that it is less than perfect. However, I know that I would and could use your service. A gun show could be a bit tricky for what is a dealer to do when a customer won't buy his gun until you look at the bore or vise versa? I think I would have to set some guidlines. It's appreciated that you are just there to perform a good service that in the end, might not be appreciated and a waste of time. Again, I personally think it is a good service.

Be Safe !!!