The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2000, 11:24 AM   #1
Bill357

I would like to buy a Benelli shotgun in the next few months and I was wondering which one to buy.

I had in mind the M4(semi-auto) - when available,
the M1(semi-auto), or the M3(pump,semi-auto).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old November 17, 2000, 12:58 PM   #2
CMOS

First of all - WELCOME TO TFL!!

Next, you need to tell us what you intend to use this shotgun for. Hunting, home-defense, etc.. There are a huge number of variables and options that need to be considered when selecting a shotgun.

As the highly regarded Dave McC would say, there's no one shotgun that will fit every duty. Give us some more info and we'll be able to make some beter suggestions then.

CMOS
Old November 17, 2000, 01:35 PM   #3
Bill357

Thanks CMOS for the fast reply. The shotgun would be used for home defense.

I should have said that YES I am a new member. I have
learned alot from everyone here and finally decided to join.
Old November 17, 2000, 04:27 PM   #4
CMOS

Bill, I would tend to steer you towarss either the M1S90 or the M3. You really have to decide if you want the M3 to have pump action as an option. If so, what option would that be? Would you ever really use/need the pump? You'll have to answer that one.

There's a reasonable amount of accessories for the M1, which is what I personally own. To date, after owning it for over 2 years I have never wanted or needed the pump option. The M1S90 is one very serious shotgun. Absolute blinding speed of cycling and it has been flawless in operation for me.

People generally only get the M3 if they plan to use "goofy" loads in the gun like very light loads, flares, rubber pellets - loads that will not successfully operate in the semi-auto M1. So, it's up to you.

If you do get it, I would recommend putting a Pachmeyr Decellerator recoil pad on the stock. The Benelli's are very light and therefore have quite anice kick. The addition of the pad allows me to shoot 200+ rounds per day with no "after-effects".

Good luck deciding.

CMOS
Old November 17, 2000, 08:06 PM   #5
hksigwalther

What CMOS said. If you're like me, though, when you get the first, one Benelli will not be enough.