The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 25, 2008, 04:05 PM   #1
RobertRogers

Need Scope for ruger 10/22

I just bought a nice little All Weather Ruger 10/22 and now need a scope for same. What would you guys recommend?
Old July 25, 2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Johnc

Great gun, I own one and have for years. What is your intention, are you going to mod it, plinking, target or varmint? Also , what is your budget for the scope?
Old July 25, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Tom2

I had in the past installed large awkward looking big bell scopes on them but it just unbalances the thing too much for me. I was at a gun show and picked up a used minty looking shotgun variable for my current one. 35$. The straight tube lets me mount it real low onto the receiver. It is a 1.75-5X variable Tasco, of very good quality. And handily, I think shotgun scopes are parallax free at 50 yards instead of 100 like on big rifle scopes. It has the stepped crosshairs and works great for me. The eyepiece with the variable ring is larger than the one inch tube, but it hangs down behind the receiver slope so is not a problem for clearance with low mounting. You could keep it set to maybe 2X for quick shooting of varmints round the barnyard, or crank in the full 4-5X for like, squirrel hunting. This thing has nice clear optics too. I used the inexpensive Weaver rings to get down low on the mount. I think there is a Simmons shotgun scope that is comparable in some ways to this. My model is out of production but it was not an inexpensive one when new. Used shotgun scopes are not hard to get. Well in Ohio, where you use a shotgun for deer only.
Old July 25, 2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Scorch

Take a look at Cabela's scopes. They are very high quality, and priced very competitively.
Old July 25, 2008, 06:47 PM   #5
dm1333

Higher priced scopes? Maybe a Leupold or Weaver. Lower priced, probably a Mueller APV.
Old July 25, 2008, 07:08 PM   #6
sholling

For a 22 you need something that is designed for rimfires and parallax free at 50yd, or something with an adjustable objective (AO). For hunting or plinking I'd go with the fixed power Weaver Classic 4x32 shotgun scope that Natchez has on clearance. It's set to be parallax free at 50yds (like a rimfire scope). It's a $250 scope for $80 and the quality shows! A 4x scope with a fix objective will be fast on the target, and its small size won't overwhelm the rifle's proportions.

If you want to mix hunting and target shooting either the Weaver RV9 or the Clearidge RM 3-9x32 w/AO would be great choices at $190-220.

One more to look at is the Mueller APV 4.5-14x40. It's very well thought of in the rimfire community. But it is a bit big for hauling around. The cool part is they're bargain at only $120.
Old July 25, 2008, 07:42 PM   #7
phil mcwilliam

I've got a 4x32 on my Ruger 10/22 & it works fine for hunting.
Old July 26, 2008, 08:52 AM   #8
W. C. Quantrill

I use one of the smaller 3x9 Simmons. About $40. I believe it is that .22 Mag scope. 3x9x32. It is heavier than a traditional rimfire scope, but scaled just right for the 10-22.

Lots of people dis the Simmons scopes, but I use a lot of them and over about 20 years and about 20 scopes, I had one break when I slipped and fell and hit the scope. I sent it back to Simmons and they sent me a new scope in about 5 days. I hunt every year, deer during season and coyotes and prairie dogs in between, with an occasional hog thrown in, and I have no complaints with the Simmons scopes out to 350 yards. My vote is that they are the best bang for the buck.
Old July 27, 2008, 03:45 AM   #9
butta9999

Nothing over a 6x

A straight 6 power will work perfect. I used to have one and they are perfect out too 100 yards which is about the limit of the little banger. You dont need to go to expensive.
Old July 27, 2008, 09:50 AM   #10
smee78

Simmons

+1 for Quantrill,

There are about 3 or 4 of us who use the adj Simmons 22mag scope and it works great for 22's all day long.