The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 19, 2001, 05:45 PM   #1
Mendocino

Leave for Caribou hunting tomorrow...

After months of preparation I am leaving to go Caribou hunting in Alaska tomorrow. I have spent hundreds of hours working up loads for my 340 WBY, practicing field shooting at distances up to 500 yards, reading about Caribou hunting techniques and the like. All the gear is packed and I can't believe tomorrow is the day.

I have a client that has a float plane that we will use to hunt in the general area of NW Iliamna, or where ever the Caribou are. Fortuneatly, I have two weeks. I appreciate all the information I have gleaned from TFL. The hunting and handloading forums have proven very helpful. Thanks Rich, and I hope my Mad Dog Pygmy ATAK will get the opportunity to skin the cape from a 350+ B&C bull.

Check 6,

Jeff
Old August 19, 2001, 06:00 PM   #2
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Good luck! I should be up there next year, but I don't know when I'll be able to stalk the caribou...

What are you shooting in that .340, and what scope are you using?

We're rehabbed and ready for our 15 minutes of shame.
Old August 19, 2001, 06:44 PM   #3
Mendocino

The scope is a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75 to 6. I wanted lower magnification because this rifle will also be used for moose and brownies. I have three loads that I am most fond of:

1) 275g Swift A-Frame, 90g R25, Winchester Primer, Norma brass. This does 2864 fps from the 26" bbl. I get .5 MOA with this. Its my favorite load, but I think its a bit much for caribou.

2) 250g Nosler partition, 86g IMR 7828, Win primer, Norma brass. This does 2898 fps from the 26" bbl. I get about 1.25" groups. Not my favorite load accuracy wise, but a good utility load.

3) 180 Noslet BT, 84.5g IMR 4350, Win primer, Norma brass. This does 3150 fps from the 26" bbl. I get about .75 MOA with this. Its flat and will be my preferred caribou load. I'd like to experiment with the R22 or R25 with this bullet but ran out of time.

Thanks for the well wishing Spectre,

Jeff
Old August 20, 2001, 07:51 AM   #4
Thibault

Well, I don't know about Alaska, but here in Northern Quebec caribou season has been on for about a week, and we've flown smiling guys with rather impressive racks on their backpacks...
It hurts when I think about it, 4 weeks to go before moose season...

Very best of luck! May your mighty 340 connect 180 gr of lead with caribou the size of a volkswagen!!!

Aren't there an envious smiley anywhere?
Old August 21, 2001, 12:41 AM   #5
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Come back and tell us all about it.
Old August 21, 2001, 10:20 AM   #6
Keith Rogan

Mendocino,

That will be the Mulchatna herd you're hunting, which are the biggest caribou in the world. It's excellent that you're taking a full two weeks! Take your time, you'll likely see plenty of caribou. Wait for a big one!