The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
DeadCenter

Load development: powder charge then COAL??

I'm just curious to how folks develop their most accurate loads. I think most find the most accurate powder charge then start tweaking the COAL. But where do you all start? I've been starting at the published length for the bullet I'm loading, find my most accurate powder charge, then try loads .010, .020 and 0.30 off the lands.

I've recently read somebody suggesting starting .010 into the lands, work up your load looking for pressure, because with the bullet starting in the lands would generate the highest pressure, then backing out from there. I've never tried a load with the bullet in the lands.

What is your method? How many find the best accuracy with the bullet in the lands?
Old September 15, 2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'll start by saying that I've never actually tried what I am about to describe. This idea originated from discussions I had with UncleNick but I don't recall if it was his idea or just something I conjured up from the discussions. If anyone tries it and it works, give him the credit. If not, I'll take the blame.

Any way, as most know, UncleNick quite often recommends Dan Newberry's load development approach.
This idea for finding optimal seating depth is based on the same process, except substituting OAL in place of charge increments and using fixed charges of Trail Boss.
Using Trail Boss has the affect of eliminating or substantially reducing the effects of barrel timing, because it burns so fast, yet with low muzzle velocity and at relatively low pressure that barrel vibrations are nearly gone before the bullet exits, and muzzle blast, again because it burns so fast that there is very little pressure remaining at the muzzle.
Using this method, you should be able to substantially isolate the variable of OAL to find what your gun likes.
Once that's done, use the standard Newberry method to find Optimal Charge Weight.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; September 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old September 15, 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
DeadCenter

Quote:
Using Trail Boss has the affect of eliminating or substantially reducing the effects of barrel timing, because it burns so fast, yet with low muzzle velocity and at relatively low pressure that barrel vibrations are nearly gone before the bullet exits, and muzzle blast, again because it burns so fast that there is very little pressure remaining at the muzzle.
Using this method, you should be able to substantially isolate the variable of OAL to find what your gun likes.
Once that's done, use the standard Newberry method to find Optimal Charge Weight.
That's interesting, so basically COAL and powder charge are not related under this theory.

I like Newberry's method for finding OCW, I guess I've been using a modified method, but will give what he says a try using the round robin approach. I also notice Newberry isn't to concerned about finding a optimal COAL.