The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 31, 2008, 01:41 AM   #1
mrMONEYman

scoping a shotgun

I've done some searching here, but am not satisfied with the results.

I want to scope my Remington 870 for deer hunting. It currently has a fully rifled barrel w/ rifle sights.

I'll be using a B-Square saddle mount w/ the Bushnell Banner 2-7x38mm.

Will the mount and scope combo hold up to the recoil of the shotgun? My 870 likes the Hornady SST sabot slugs and the Winchester Bri-X sabot slugs. So those will be my hunting loads.

I also have a smoothbore barrel for clay and small game hunting, so I don't want to drill and tap the reciever for a scope mount.

Will this setup be sturdy enough, or should I get another 870 barrel with a cantilever scope mount?

How is my scope choice? I know its on the lower end, but I don't want to spend too much on something that I'll only be using one weekend per year.

Thanks
Old October 31, 2008, 06:35 AM   #2
SumToy Custom Barrel

They make a scope for the shot gun. I would get one of them. If not you will have to get one that has a adjustable optic. We have found that you will have to go up to the upper end scopes to get one to last. I have saw some of the low end scopes bust in 10 shots. We put a lot of scopes on and the scope co. will tell you it needs to be made for a shotgun and air rifle to last. They will not stand behind them it they find out you have them on a shotgun.
You can by one of the saddle mounts that comes with the scope.
Old October 31, 2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Pahoo

Even though I think the Banners, are good scopes, what SumToy has replied, has merit. You should also consider the need for the longer eye relief as you don't want to get hurt. What about a RedDot??

Be Safe ???
Old October 31, 2008, 10:13 AM   #4
zippy13

With the Banner 2-7 x 38mm, my concern is field of vision not recoil. Have you already purchased the scope or, as is often the case, is it coming off an existing rifle?
Old October 31, 2008, 01:10 PM   #5
rem870hunter

the b square scope bracket is a good choice. quick on and off. i would not buy a cantilevered barrel. no need because you have the bracket. and with the bracket no need to drill and tap for mounts either. if you wanted to use the scope with a smoothbore barrel you could. but sight the scope in for a barrel and only use it with that barrel. having sights on the barrel and a scope mount is not a bad idea. suppose something happens and the scope breaks. you pull the bracket off and use the open iron sights. i tried the 2 barrels 1 scope idea, didn't work worth a lick.
Old October 31, 2008, 10:39 PM   #6
skeeter1

Quote:
"What about a RedDot??"
That's what I was going to suggest, too. I've got a 1X-by-40mm BSA on one of my pellet rifles. It was cheap (~$35), and has good eye relief and a broad field-of-view. It's cheap enough that if it breaks, I'll just get another one.

No matter what sort of scope or barrel or sabot slug you use, no shotgun is going to be a tack driver. It's worth a try for a few bucks. Just remember to turn it off when you're done. The battery is supposed to be good for 200hrs, and I haven't managed to wear mine out in the past year.
Old October 31, 2008, 11:55 PM   #7
mrMONEYman

I've already have the set up now. I'll be sighting the shotgun in tomorrow and I'll know if it will work or not.

I have no problem w/ just the irons, in fact I would rather prefer the irons over the scope for where I'm shooting, but its just that the shotgun doesn't seem to fit me too well. When using the irons, it seems as if I have to stretch my neck to achieve a proper sight picture, and on top of that it always seems as if my non-firing hand needs to be WAY out there to be able to operate the slide.

Since putting on the scope, I've noticed that I'm not straining as much when I mount the shotgun. It doesn't feel "weird" anymore.

So, I'll see if the scope will hold its zero, or last at all. BTW, the Bushnell Banner scope is marked as a "shotgun scope" on the box, so I'm hoping that it will last.
Old November 2, 2008, 02:20 PM   #8
hjk_rick

Shotguns and air rifles have heavier forward impacts than bolt action rifles and all. That is a big factor in determining whether or not a scope will last - think of a slam hammer when you rack the slide forward. True shotgun scopes are built to withstand the forward impulse.
Old November 3, 2008, 04:28 AM   #9
mrMONEYman

well,

after one brused and banged up shoulder, I think the Bushnell Banner might hold up.

I shot about 15 rds to finally zero in my scope at 50yrds. Prior to scoping the shotgun, I was contempt to just hitting paper at 50yrds with irons (again, this was due to awkard cheek weld and hand position). I was able to hit a 2" target constantly the last 3 or 4 shots. But, I did have to crank elevation all the way up on the scope. When I went to put the scope cap back on, I could feel the top of the cap touching the finger ajustable scope tab.

I'll reshoot the gun tomorrow or sometime this week to confirm that the mount/sight is holding. Just have to let my shoulder rest for another day or two.

p.s. - MN deer season is this weekend...can't hardly wait!
Old November 3, 2008, 11:54 PM   #10
onthejon55

if your gun shoots good the way it is i wudnt go buy another barrel and waste time finding a load that works in it. the b squares seem to work okay. my uncle has always used one and hes killed more deer than the two drury brothers put together. (not all of them legally of course)