The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 23, 2014, 04:59 PM   #1
brazosdave

Fanning a 51 Colt Navy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBBYl...JL907szrouTFfA

check out this video!
Old March 23, 2014, 09:07 PM   #2
45 Dragoon

Thanks Dave for.postin this for me !!!!

Brushy did a great job showing off the 51 !!!

45 Dragoon
Old March 24, 2014, 06:15 PM   #3
jlb43

I was watching an old Bonanza episode from the mid sixties last week (when there were not a whole lot of replica BP revolvers being sold) and in one of the opening scenes little Joe was sitting on a wagon in front of the house fanning what looked to me like an 1851. From the smoke he produced I have to assume it was not a conversion either. I thought to myself at the time, I had never seen a BP revolver fanned.
Old March 24, 2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Hawg

Joe carried a converted 51. Hoss carried a converted 58 Remington and Ben carried a 75 Remington.
Old March 24, 2014, 08:14 PM   #5
Rigmarol

The episode with Horice Greely (Mark Twain) there is a shootout where either Joe or Hoss is using a Colt and yanks the barrel off to reload. Fun stuff.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:31 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
The episode with Horice Greely (Mark Twain) there is a shootout where either Joe or Hoss is using a Colt and yanks the barrel off to reload. Fun stuff.
That was Joe. He even reloaded it without firing a shot in that scene.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Rigmarol

Really? I didn't notice that part. I must find it again and check it out. Lol.
Old April 5, 2014, 08:22 PM   #8
45 Dragoon

Wonder how many folks have seen a c.&b. revolver fanned?
Old April 6, 2014, 04:56 PM   #9
Colt46

Is it just as destructive to them as well?

Not fanning you single actions has been drilled into me for so long I'm assuming it will ruin C&B revolvers as well.
Old April 6, 2014, 05:31 PM   #10
jaxenro

I think this one was completely reworked by 45Dragoon to allow fanning. He redid my 1862 pocket navy for me
Old April 6, 2014, 05:41 PM   #11
Hawg

He modified it so the hammer doesn't over travel and took side play out of the bolt but that does nothing for the forces the bolt and notches undergo when the momentum of the cylinder is slammed to a stop by the bolt. It may increase the life of the parts but fanning will still eat them up sooner or later.
Old April 6, 2014, 10:00 PM   #12
45 Dragoon

Simply put, yes, fanning will shorten the life of a revolver. This '51 for brushy was in for an action job and the stop and block treatment. A lot of other things needed to be done as well so, EVERYTHING got done!! The bolt block is a big addition that lends itself to the ability for fanning. The bolt absolutly cannot move or it will turn into a wedge and be pushed down, thereby allowing the cylinder to jump lockup. There needs to be no contact between the hand and ratchet at full cock (thanks to action stop and clearencing).
If this were to be a comp. gun (fanning all the time) the set up wouldn't allow normal cocking. Momentum is the biggie in that set up.
Brushies gun was to be used normally but can be fanned if the urge hits ( a little tougher feat)! Also, I do what I call sculpting the bolt. It's lighter and profiled to not upset the edge of the lock notch. It also enters the notch faster than a normal bolt.

No wire springs were used in this gun ( nor any of mine for that matter!).

45 Dragoon
Old April 7, 2014, 04:24 PM   #13
ZVP

Brushy, you probablly spent the cost of the revolver and then some for the custom work!
I have a Uberti Colt London model that definatelly is a slickie right out of the box! Way better than my Piettia's ever were! I'd consider investing some custom "smithing on that one! The Piettias seem to be a lot rougher and less well finished than the Uberti London.
The best part about the London Model is the use of a Peacemaker grip assy on the revover. It makes a world of difference in handling and grip! The Uberti is really accurate as-is moreso than my Piettias.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Piettia Colts, just that the Uberti is so much better finished and fitted. I have a .Piettia 44 Brasser "Navy", and a sweet '62 style .36 caliber Police model Piettia. The Policee is actually nothing more than a 5 1/2" bbl with a 6 shot fluted cylinder on a '62 frame. A real nice set-up being a 6 shot with the shorter bbl. Makes handling real nice.
You have had some pretty extensive mods done to your Piettia! Makes that one a true Custom one-off revolver! I bet the mods will extend the revolvers lifespan into a "Generation's type" gun! the mods to prevent Cap Jams are particularly worthwhile!
I need to check his site for prices!
Thanks for the Video and information.
ZVP