The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 1, 2014, 09:49 PM   #1
ZVP

Cross Draw?

I have noticed that in the Spagetti Westerns, Cross Drw Holsters seem to dominate even with C&B revolvers. I have looked around suppliers like Cabelas and some smaller dealers and they DO carry Cross Draw Holsters but for the most part they are made for large Centerfire revolvers.
I bought a holster on line for my 5 1/2" '58 Remmie and it's a little too big for the frame! It fits my Vaquero perfectly but the Remmie slips down inside too far. You almost can;t notice but getting your finger placed on the trigger in a draw takes effort.
There is NO way a Colt Type frame would fit the Holster!
Is there anyone except for a custom maker who builds a cross-draw for the Colt Type frame?
Thanks
ZVP
Old April 1, 2014, 10:36 PM   #2
9mmfan

Here you go. That's for an 1860 Army.

Here's the link with all of the models if it's a different frame. Not all will be cross draw, but it's a start.
Old April 2, 2014, 04:26 AM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
You almost can;t notice but getting your finger placed on the trigger in a draw takes effort.
In the old days it would have been very hard to do if not impossible.
Old April 2, 2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
You almost can;t notice but getting your finger placed on the trigger in a draw takes effort.
Why are you placing your finger on the trigger before the gun is pointed down range?
Old April 2, 2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Beagle333

I had IdahoMike switch all my crossdraw holsters back to strong-side draw.
I just didn't like it.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 2, 2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Rigmarol

I use a Double Cross Draw rig with two Dragoons!!

I ain't fast but I'm having fun!

I prefer not to touch the trigger until I'm ready to fire myself. Cuts way down on buying new boots...
Old April 2, 2014, 06:53 PM   #7
ZVP

I meant moving the finger towards the triggerguard, it came out wrong, OK?
Yea All my triggers are touchy and I NEED all the toes I have!
Sorry for the mus-type!
ZVP
I'll keep looking for crossdraws, rhanks!
Old April 3, 2014, 06:19 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

The local CASS club really doesn't like the cross draw rigs. as it's more challenging for the shooter to draw & keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, with other stages on the sides... ( stages are all in rows with railroad ties dividing them )

I imagine it's fun though
Old April 3, 2014, 07:42 AM   #9
bedbugbilly

When you stop to think about it - back in the day of our ancestors - a cross draw holster would make a lot of sense if you spent a lot of time on horseback. Rather than reaching to your strong side to draw, which would repair a pretty much straight up pull due to your legs being down while seated in the saddle - a cross draw would allow the pistol to be aged some towards your strong hand and a lot easier for your hand to find the butt and withdraw from the holster quickly.

We all conjure up the visions of "gun slingers" but for a working cowboy of the day, there were lots of "critters" that could cause injury to your "four legged charges" - snakes, coyotes, bob cats, mountain lions, etc. not to mention two legged critters. A person also has to remember that a quick shot could startle cattle and start a stampede causing a lot of work in rounding them up. If I was all alone on horseback, working cattle on open range with nobody around for miles that I knew could be there if I needed them - I would feel a lot more secure being able to pull my cross draw holster around so it rode in front of me where I could get it if necessary - maybe a "case sense of security" - but that's no different in some of the ways we "carry" today.

It's still pretty much the same way today - a lot of folks like cross draw holsters as they spend a lot of time in their vehicles for their jobs. Riding on a horse or riding in a car - a cross draw properly adjusted will put your weapon "where you need it" if a problem arises while in your car. I carry on my strong side (right) OTB but in a car, it's almost impossible to reach your weapon if you need to. If we are going to be in the car and in areas where a problem could happen (at intersections int he city where you are stopped and a car jacking could occur, etc.) - then I switch to a cross draw holster. Like louis Sullivan said - "form follows function".

If you looking for a holster - try going to the leather working section over on CAS - lot's of good makers over there who can pretty much make whatever you want.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Last edited by bedbugbilly; April 3, 2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old April 3, 2014, 08:34 AM   #10
maillemaker

I don't get the appeal of cross-draw. Maybe I'm fatter than your average cowboy but I can barely reach around to my opposite pocket for fishing a revolver out of a holster.

Steve
Old April 3, 2014, 01:23 PM   #11
Trum4n1208

I've always been partial to the cavalry twist draw. But thats just me.
Old April 7, 2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Wild Bill Bucks

I made my own Belly Holster so I could keep my Super Red Hawk .44 magnums weight more centered while stalking or riding. Since I am right handed, it also makes for less movement in a stand to get it out of the holster for hunting. I am not a very big guy so the weight being on the side makes it a really long day in the woods if I use a side holster, and it bangs the saddle if riding a horse, or lately an ATV. Having it in the front keeps the weight in your lap while riding or walking.
Old April 7, 2014, 03:12 PM   #13
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
The local CASS club really doesn't like the cross draw rigs. as it's more challenging for the shooter to draw & keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, with other stages on the sides... ( stages are all in rows with railroad ties dividing them )

I imagine it's fun though
I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard that. Yes, it's a bit more challenging to avoid sweeping anybody, but it is not difficult.

I have been using a cross draw rig in CAS since day one, for over ten years now.
Old April 7, 2014, 03:31 PM   #14
ZVP

I have one Cross Draw which fits a few of my revolvers and I like it!
WHen I ordered it, it was called a Wyoming Rig. I guess that means it's a pocket holster sitting atop a wide flat backing. The angle is supposed to be CAS legal (I forget the required degrees...).
A Cross Draw, as mentioned above, fits many situations and positions that you find yourself in while carrying. Very comfortable in the truck!
I guess I'm just a Holster Freak! I like all sorts of styles and shapes.
BTW, there is a GREAT book on holsters called "Packing Iron" . A high dollar hardcover that shows literally hundreds of Holsters for all types of revolvers1 It's a wonderful read and actually a necessity for the Western Historian! Priced about $45 internet.
ZVP
Old April 7, 2014, 09:15 PM   #15
Flatbush Harry

Having spent a good bit of time on horseback in my youth (also a slimmer time), cross-draw, especially with a long-barreled C&B revolver is the way to go. My rig is a cross draw for my 1860 Army or my 1875 Rem with a sheathed 10" blade Bowie (Silver Stag "Big" Bowie" or Cold Steel Laredo Bowie) behind it on my belt.

FH