The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 4, 2023, 12:38 PM   #26
Jim Watson

Once upon a time I looked hard at a Beretta 1200. Almost a carbine to carry except for 12 gauge. But it kicked like a S.O.B. and when it jammed tight on a MEC reloaded shell, I lost interest.
Old September 4, 2023, 02:02 PM   #27
maddog613

1100 would be my choice
Old September 4, 2023, 03:44 PM   #28
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog613 View Post
1100 would be my choice
Poor choice for a Tactical Shotgun. Read Post #6.
Old September 9, 2023, 12:08 PM   #29
Ricklin

B gun

The current or last months American Rifleman has a piece on the Berretta Patrol.
Looks darned impressive, rugged, great capacity, and a decent price.

I'm not a tactical shotgun guy, if I were my money would likely go here.
Old September 9, 2023, 10:43 PM   #30
chadio

Bought a semi auto just to shoot flying clay pigs.... Ended up with the Beretta AL391 Urika. Bought used for $600 ish as I recall...

Shoots soft (gas system), harder to disassemble / clean than inertia guns as I understand... Mine looks like a black plastic toy from Wal Mart, not attractive, like some the beautiful shotguns (especially stack barrels with wood and the silver receiver) that I've seen.

It is to look at, to clean, but.... to shoot. Good luck finding the right one for you....
Old September 10, 2023, 11:02 AM   #31
siloshooter

bought a beretta ulitma patrol yesterday for $969.95 , included taxes, and out the door thought this was a decent price . the entire large show yesterday only spotted this one beretta ! kinda surprising .
looked at holowsun's with red dot but was not not ready to pull the trigger on $300 plus
can anyone reccomend a laser red or green laser type upgrade ? also there were some stream light add on lasers & flash lights . would like something pretty low profile .
AND what type of sling of good quality do i need ?
the gun feels great in hand . also it is the gray colored model which i like .
i am a new happy gun owner !
Old September 12, 2023, 09:49 AM   #32
chadio

That is one evil looking shotgun. In a good way. I like it!!!!!
Old October 17, 2023, 08:34 AM   #33
Dashunde

I'm a little late here, but maybe someone will find this useful.. I have a A300 Ultima Patrol and its been fantastic. I have 4 cases of #7.5 plus many more boxes of 00, #4,5&6, Nitro Turkey, slugs, 2.75" & 3" varieties through it so far with only one hiccup, and that was a 3" Turkey within the first 20 shells when brand new. The 3" got hung up on the way out just that once and it hasn't happened since on anything, long or short.

Its operation take a bit of study and practice to get used to, I highly recommend some dummy rounds to practice cycling it and figuring out the various modes and how/when the lifter works or blocks the tube.
I think there are a few too many plastic parts on it for the price, especially compared to my 590A1, but that's resolved by a trip to GG&G when you're ready.
I've thought about trading mine for the 1301, but only because I'm running many more shells through it than I though I would shooting skeet and whatnot.. frankly its way more fun than a pump
The 1301 has several upgrades aimed specifically at a long long life.

I would definitely buy the A300 Utima Patrol again for normal/typical/average use, but I'd go with the 1301 if shooting regularly.
Old October 17, 2023, 06:15 PM   #34
rc

CZ shotguns made in Turkey are reliable gas operated guns but don't have the best triggers. If you are price concerned, the 1100 is a generally soft shooting gas operated shotgun with a long track record limited to 2 3/4 shells unless you get a magnum model that won't shoot low base. They are lighter than 11/87s. I would think you want gas operated and not a inertia driven or recoil operated gun. The gas operated guns are more likely to cycle well even if you don't have a firm grip on the gun. With a disability a 20 ga shotgun will be fine for shooting clays, especially skeet and has plenty of power for self defense.
Old October 17, 2023, 08:34 PM   #35
L-2

From reading the 31st post, it appears the OimP is now the happy owner of a new Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol.

I'm somewhat happy the OP didn't go for a Remington 1100.
While there were some tactical/competition models, those were from the pre-Remarms days. The current 1100s seem to be more or only for hunting/sporting purposes:
https://www.remarms.com/shotguns/aut...ng/model-1100/

Right now, it seems Remarms doesn't seem to be supporting pre-Remarms shotguns, whether with parts or service.

I'm an owner of a now-discontinued, but similar to an 1100, Remington 11-87P which doesn't work 100%, but works OK. I suppose a new trigger group would fix it but these aren't readily available any longer; and used to run in the $200 range. I don't know what they'd cost if I found one now. I'd actually consider putting the money towards what the OP bought instead.
https://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-ultima-patrol-black/
Old October 17, 2023, 09:59 PM   #36
rc

Yep, should have read more carefully. Sounds like he got a nice gun.
Old October 19, 2023, 11:01 AM   #37
Dashunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siloshooter
bought a beretta ulitma patrol yesterday for $969.95
Great, thats about what I paid.

Quote:
looked at holowsun's with red dot but was not not ready to pull the trigger on $300 plus
can anyone reccomend a laser red or green laser type upgrade ? also there were some stream light add on lasers & flash lights . would like something pretty low profile .
I have several Holosun's on various rifles and shotguns, but I have nothing on my Ultima Patrol.. I find the factory sights to be very visible and fast.. if the front bead is on the target and visible through the rear ring it'll hit. Pretty simple, quick, and doesn't cost a dime more. On this particular shotgun I'd probably rather just upgrade the rear to metal. However, I do have spare HS501C that I might try out? I'd steer clear of anything smaller due to the view becoming tight and cluttered with the front and rear sights in place.

I have a 14" Shockwave with a Streamlight TLR RM1G mounted on its top rail since its hip-fired and the Streamlight Racker does not fit the short(er) 14" Shockwaves.
The light is good, and the laser is visible outside in the daylight.
Its a nightstand package and its all very visible and aim'able in the dark.
The TLR RM1G would work very well on the Ultma Patrol lower Mlok with a pic rail installed. It will hang down a bit though..

Quote:
AND what type of sling of good quality do i need ?
Depends on how you want to use it and which position. For combat you might like the padded Magpul sling or Blue Force/Vickers. Or being a shotgun you might rather have one with additional ammo, there are several of those with various shell count capacities.

Quote:
the gun feels great in hand . also it is the gray colored model which i like
Mine is gray too. I knocked the super grippy (harsh) points off of the plastic parts using my wife's black flexible fingernail file. After 50 low brass and 25 or so high brass and 3" shells it's texture was trying to chew me up. Scuffing it down a little makes a huge difference.