The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 26, 2014, 07:08 AM   #1
dogfood

Like Peltor Bullseye 9 muffs ... but need something more

Good Day -

My aged (20 years?) Peltor Bullseye 9 muffs are still the most comfortable muffs I've ever worn ... especially with glasses. However, the NRR is only 22. Since I'm now shooting more rifle, I need to upgrade to a higher NRR. I'll probably stick with a non-electronic version.

Anyone have experience with what's currently available from Peltor (now 3M)? I'm wondering whether they still use the comfortable ear cushions as I have on the Bullseye 9s. I looked at a couple of places locally, but they didn't carry Peltor.

Thanks,
dogfood
Old August 6, 2014, 09:23 PM   #2
ballardw

Put in some of the cheap foam earplugs and the noise will be greatly diminished when worn under muffs.

Or another option is custom earplugs. I had some made at a gunshow a few years ago for about $30 and they really cut down on noise. I believe the stuff used to make these are available in a kit from http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/521...b-silicone-red and others. There is also a lanyard kit available.
Old August 7, 2014, 12:40 PM   #3
boondocker385

I have added foam to some of my nonelectric muffs and wear earplugs under them when shooting rifles..... it works....
Old August 7, 2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Agree. Double up using foam plugs.

Otherwise, you can go with Howard Leight (sp?) mondo-sized muffs that are 30 nrr which is great, but can be a pain to use with rifles because of their size.
Old August 8, 2014, 08:38 AM   #5
saands

Double plugging works really well ... because the NRR is in dB, to a point, the NRR is additive. SOME noise will always get into your ears, even through the bones and tissue in your neck and head, but doubling up should tame even the loudest magnum with a brake ... even under a shelter

I tried the custom molded kits from Midway ... 3 times ... and never got satisfactory results. Obviously YMMV, but just beware that they aren't foolproof.

Saands

www.mag-fast.com
Old August 8, 2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

It is additive, but at a certain point, your ears get bombarded through bone conduction, something muffs and plugs won't stop. The addition is limited, but more is better than less.

However, what I really like about doubling up is that plugs stop much of what is potentially leaked by muffs.