The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 17, 2007, 08:50 PM   #1
intruder

Removing Dents in Rifle Stocks

Just picked up a Nippon Golden Eagle It has some small dents in the stock. I heard of using steam to remove minor dents in wood stocks. Does anyone know of the proper procedure to do the job?
Old July 17, 2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Playboypenguin

Steam will work. Unless the finish is still intact. if the finish is not broken you might need to lightly sand off the waterproof finish first then reseal it.

Just lay a wet cloth across the dents and then apply a hot iron to the cloth.
Old July 17, 2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Old Gaffer

I use a damp cloth, a hot iron, and EXTREME CARE

You really have to get the moisture INTO the wood before it'll turn to steam and expand the crushed fibers. If there's a heavy finish on the stock, you may never get the moisture TO the wood, much less into it, in which case you're either going to have to remove the finish or live with the dents.

If you just lay a damp cloth on finished wood and then apply a hot iron, you'll probably not do much harm, but I doubt that you'll do any good either.

Do be careful as some/many/most finishes will melt under an iron hot enough to turn water to steam. This process really is best done in unfinished wood, so if you're going to refinish the stock any way, have at it.

Water boils at 212ºF, wood burns at a much higher temperature, so while it's possible to scorch the wood with an iron, you will probably have to work at it.

A soldering iron is also entirely suitable for spot dents, but will burn wood in a heart beat. I would not use an iron without a temperature control or variac so I could lower the voltage going to it. You CAN use a soldering gun if you're careful not to press the trigger too long at a time.

As in many things around here, trigger control is almost everything <G>

As far as I'm concerned, dents are part of the gun's history and I don't worry about them.

All the best,
Rob
Old July 18, 2007, 12:34 AM   #4
inkie

I have been tinkering with the damp cloths, soldering irons, heat lamps and all the other remedies for raising wood. No success. If you don't want to remove the finish and do some sanding. leave the dents.
Old July 18, 2007, 05:53 AM   #5
Martyn4802

Use a regular iron that is used to iron clothes and a wet cloth if the finish on the wood will allow steam to get under the dent.

Martyn
Old July 18, 2007, 03:59 PM   #6
TATER

I use the stream of steam from a tea kettle.
I have never used the Iron and wet cloth method.
Old July 19, 2007, 05:23 AM   #7
dutchy

I got my swede M96 in the year 1981.
Built in 1906, it was unused, but stored.
Nicks and dents all over. Took my one day with very wet cotton cloth and an iron to get them all out. As long as you get the dented wood to absorb the moisture, it will work. Some discoloring will occur but is easily remedied. Varnish finished stocks, however might be more difficult.