The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 15, 2011, 04:19 AM   #1
rmocarsky

Wild boar

Gunners,

Not really about hunting boar, rather a taste comparison.

Does wild boar taste different than domestic pig? I seem to remember that when I had it about 20 years ago, it was all red meat, but I could be mistaken.

Is it?

How about wild boar compared to feral hog?

Help needed here.

Rmocarsky
Old July 15, 2011, 06:26 AM   #2
mete

Define wild boar and feral hog !
A boar is the male, a sow is the female. In the USA most are mixes of Northern European and domestic.
Some old boars are not worth eating .A sow especially young is the best . Immediate care of the animal ,like any other game , is very important.Diet also effects flavor. Meat is white [the other white meat !] not red.
Old July 15, 2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Make it into sausage and nobody knows the difference.
Old July 15, 2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

The white/red meat difference is in the feeding.
Supermarket pork is nothing like free range pork.
I don't know what we are eating with the white stuff. It just doesn't have the flavor of real pork.
Old July 15, 2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
Does wild boar taste different than domestic pig?
Absolutely. Just like free-range cattle taste different than feedlot cattle. Just like farmed salmon tastes different than wild salmon. Just like chicken tastes different than pheasant. Just like . . . anyway, you get the idea. It has to do with diet, amount of exercise, and age/sex.
Old July 15, 2011, 12:30 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Feral swine meat is far more flavorful (in a dang good way) than high production farm raised swine.

After a loin or chops, heck... even the ham, meal... you WILL find pork from the store to be BLAND AND LACKING!!!

Of this, I am positive!

Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 12:40 PM   #7
bullethole1

You will know its wild once you get a good whiff of it
Old July 15, 2011, 12:48 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
You will know its wild once you get a good whiff of it
Only if it is a "rank" boar or rotting... Otherwise that is not at all true...

I will bet dollars against hog turds that you cannot tell my feral pork from walmart pork blindfolded... And I have done this with many people including myself.

I have also fed cuts from all four corners of a 250# BOAR to people that swore ANY feral swine is "gamey" and/or "gross"... NARY A ONE COMPLAINED and usually I get... "That was the best dern pork I ever tasted in my life... what did you *flavor* it with..."

UMMM... Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder mixed in some lemon juice and mopped on is all...

Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

While not of the experience of hogdogs, fresh, raw feral pork smells like other pork to me as well. What I smell most during butchering, once the hide is removed, is the blood...and it smells like....blood.
Old July 15, 2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Hog Buster

Pork taste is somewhat dependent on what hogs eat, especially wild/feral ones. The wild/feral ones around here are pretty much corn, pecan, acorn and a bit of sugar cane eaters, so even the larger boars are edible. Of course the smaller sows are choice. The big ones, which can be a bit tougher, we generally turn into sausage.

If you happen to live in an area that has what we call “piney woods rooters”, those that dine on cypress knees and pine trees, you may have a different quality of pork, hence a different taste.
Old July 15, 2011, 01:49 PM   #11
pinetree

I opt for pigs around 80#'s or less. Easy to clean and cook. I smoked a ham a couple weeks ago - very tasty.
Old July 15, 2011, 01:57 PM   #12
bullethole1

Im not much of a wild meat eater. Sorry kind of off the topic but I had some very good whitetail shish ka bobs with jalepeno and bell pepper. I can tell the smell is distinct,I had deer sausage that tasted good one time because it was half domestic pork and half deer.I had deer which consisted mostly of deer and I didnt care for the smell but taste was right good a little but not my best choice of what kinds of meat I will eat. Now back to hogs,I dont think Id eat one unless it was a very young sow under 100 lbs. I wouldnt eat a boar at all.
Old July 15, 2011, 01:59 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

With deer meat, folks often leave the fat as they would with pork or beef...
I learned a while back that deer fat is FOUL!!!

Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 02:04 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I wouldnt eat a boar at all.
And that is exactly what folks would tell me right before their tongue commences giving them black eyes...

Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Doyle

Down here, the diet varies significantly depending on the time of year. During the fall on a good acorn year, they will feed heavily on acorns. Other times of the year, our hogs are heavy rooters. We aren't fortunate to have the grain fields that other parts of the country have so our hogs don't get corn fed (other than what they get from the deer feeders ).

One thing they do get here though is citrus. I've seen the fat on a hog's back look yellow colored because of the citrus fruit they've been eating.
Old July 15, 2011, 04:02 PM   #16
myshoulderissore

Quote:
Make it into sausage and nobody knows the difference.
I call BS... Wild makes MUCH MUCH MUCH better sausage, I have not yet had the pleasure of wild chops or anything, but I drool imagining it.
Old July 15, 2011, 04:16 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I swear on everything I love... After well cared for feral pork, I just go thru the motions of bite and chew with store bought pork.

Nothing I would consider desirable after my first plate of feral pork...

Lucky for me, I get my fix from a local store that buys pork from smaller slaughter houses who buy local raised pigs from small time farmers... Kinda between high production pork and feral...

Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 04:40 PM   #18
2damnold4this

I have to agree with Hogdogs. Feral pork is much better than most store bought pork. It's on par with some of the most expensive specialty pork that can be bought. Don't waste the meat.
Old July 15, 2011, 04:48 PM   #19
LSnSC

Taste depends on what they eat. Ive killed hogs living on hard and soft mast that were pretty good. Ive killed some in the brackish marshes feeding on invertebrates and fiddler crabs that were inedible. If Im shooting one for the freezer I'd rather have a gilt thats been feeding on crops.
Old July 15, 2011, 05:18 PM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
If Im shooting one for the freezer I'd rather have a gilt thats been feeding on crops.
Wouldn't we all... Wouldn't we all...
Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 05:23 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would leave them ol' pigs to rot where they fall...
Lord knows no one would that crap...

http://www.brokenarrowranch.com/Shop/index.php
Quote:
WILD BOAR CUTS
Wild boar's reclusive nature and fierce disposition have long made them a hunter's prize. Our wild boar are truly wild and free-roaming yielding meat with more flavor and less fat than regular pork.
Belly - Wild Boar
$11/lb

Fatty, meaty goodness. Great when braised, added to stews, or used for charcuterie.

Bone-In Leg - Wild Boar
$9/lb

Recipes
Dramatic presentation makes this an excellent choice for dinner parties. We make it easy for you by providing simple cooking instructions.

Boneless Loin - Wild Boar
$19/lb

Recipes
A lean and tender cut from young wild boar. Mild in flavor, but with a slight "nutty" characteristic that sets it apart from domesticated pork. Five loins per package, each loin approximately 5 oz each.

Chili Meat - Wild Boar
$9/lb

Recipes
A coarser grind perfect for chili. This is raw, unseasoned meat ready for you to add your own spices. Mix with venison chili for a truly wild dish. Approximately 1 lb packages.

Chop Ready Rack - Wild Boar
$19/lb

Recipes
Packaged as a rack with 9 rib bones that can easily be cut into 8 full size individual chops.

Cutlets - Wild Boar
$12/lb

Recipes
Tenderized leg muscles perfect for sautéing, schnitzel, or "chicken fried wild boar." Offered in 4 oz or 6 oz sizes, approximately 2 lb packages.

Rolled & Tied Leg - Wild Boar
$12/lb

Recipes
Great for slow roasting. Boneless, rolled & tied. Just put it in the oven, smoker, or crock pot and let it cook.

Shoulder Roast - Wild Boar
$10/lb

Recipes
Cook it slowly in a smoker or oven for a flavorful treat. Shredded or sliced, you won't be disappointed.

Spare Ribs - Wild Boar
$8/lb

Recipes
Flavorful wild boar spareribs. Includes the belly for extra thickness. Two slabs per package.

Stew Meat - Wild Boar
$9/lb

Recipes
Perfect for hearty winter stews or other recipes where the meat is braised slowly with low heat. This is raw, unseasoned meat ready for you to add your own spices. Approximately 1 lb packages.

WILD GAME SAUSAGE
Bratwurst - Venison
$10/pkg

Recipes
Traditional German flavors made even better with venison! This is a raw sausage in natural casings and contains no nitrates or nitrites. Two 6 oz links per package.

Italian Sausage - Venison
$10/pkg

Recipes
Italian Sausage - Wild Boar
$10/pkg

Recipes
A wonderfully savory sausage using classic Italian seasonings. Try it thinly sliced or crumbled in your favorite pasta. This is a raw sausage in natural casings and contains no nitrates or nitrites. Two 6 oz links per package.

Jalapeno & Cheese Sausage - Wild Boar & Venison
$10/pkg

Recipes
One of our new favorites! This fully cooked sausage has real cheddar cheese, a nice jalapeno heat, and is finished with hickory smoke. Two 6oz links per package.

Smoked Sausage - Venison
$10/pkg

Recipes
Smoked Sausage - Wild Boar
$10/pkg

Recipes
Our best selling sausages. Delicately smoked with hickory, this fully cooked sausage is seasoned with our own secret recipe. Two 6 oz links per package.

Summer Sausage - Venison
$10/stick

Recipes
Summer Sausage - Wild Boar
$10/stick

Recipes
A perfect sausage for slicing and snacking. Made with classic summer sausage seasonings. It's fully cooked and ready to eat. 1 lb stick.
Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 05:25 PM   #22
Jo6pak

The simple answer.

If domestic butchershop pig is 100% ham flavor. I would say that wild boar is 150% ham flavored.
Old July 15, 2011, 05:32 PM   #23
fisherman66

Feral pig is much leaner than Walmart pig. Don't over cook it, but don't under cook it either.

I've always wanted to cure a hind. Brent, you ever make cured ham?
Old July 15, 2011, 05:43 PM   #24
Hog Buster

As a side note to all this most store bought pork, especially ham, is “Flavor Enhanced”. Which means that it’s injected with some kind of liquid. Most of the time this liquid is just water, so you’re paying 3 to 5 dollars a pound for water.
Old July 15, 2011, 05:47 PM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Never tried to cure a meat of any sort.
Never tried to pre smoke anything either.

I did buy a TRUE dry cured country style ham and found out it was GAMEY... BAD GAMEY Compared to any feral hog I ever ate.

Basically I missed the part where you boil it for many hours in a big pot then bake it in the pot in the oven for more hours then throw away the ham and eat the pan...

I portioned it all out, vacced it and froze it up... For black eye peas and lima/butter beans... This stuff is STUPID GOOD!!!
Look up the requirements by the FDA to label it as a "dry cured", "country" or "smithfield" ham... Dry cured at like 80* with considerable humidity for some gawd-awful long time... Says dry rotted meat to me but what do I know? I only learned this after I got it home and was researching recipes...

Brent