The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 18, 2008, 09:43 PM   #26
Katrina Guy

Maybe I left out part of a sentence

Meant to say that most of the poster's in here, that I doubt they're just seizing and opt to shoot someone legally, rather just wanting to be armed just in case.
Old October 18, 2008, 10:23 PM   #27
dabigguns357

Look at like this if you are at home and someone breaks in,then it the chances are that they are not just there for a tv or toaster.true thieves wait for you to leave and case your house.They don't want to be confronted anymore than you want to confront them.But to invade ones home while you sleep is a differant matter all togather.If they don't care about you being home when they break in,then they intend harm.
Old October 18, 2008, 10:45 PM   #28
Hemicuda

I keep it "cruiser-ready"... that is to say, dry-fire it on an empty chamber, and then load the mag (all 7 rounds) with 3" triple-ought buckshot...

the reason for the empty chamber is NOT so someoine hears the thing rack, but because it is close to me when I sleep, If i need it, I'll have a half-second extra while "racking" it to wake up more and assess what needs shootin'...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old October 19, 2008, 02:49 AM   #29
mav88

well..

well..i keep my maverick 88 20 inch loaded with 2 000 buck and 2 birdshot but none in the chamber in hands reach near the bed.

i keep a .38 under my bed.

hopefully this pic link will show
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mav.jpg (155.9 KB, 86 views)
Old October 19, 2008, 03:35 AM   #30
fbrown333@suddenlink

Savage pump 2" cut off stock 18 1/2" bbl. full choke avary one in the house trained to use it except the 5 year old (and i'm working on him ) keep it in the safe. Keep the .45 with me around the bedding area. The way I look at if they break in while I am home they intend harm to me and mine and deserve what they get. If they are smart they get a prison term if not sorry for them.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:04 AM   #31
FyredUp

Seriously, if you guys hear someone in your house are you clearing your house with your gun like it was a swat raid? Seems incredibly foolish and dangerous to me.

My plan is to find a place of cover. Listen and make my move from there. It may be as simple as I have a shotgun and if you don't leave now I am going to shoot you. To as aggressive as shooting immediately if they are moving towards my kids bedrooms.

But there is no desire to shoot someone just because they are in my house. My preference would be they lie flat on the floor until the cops get there, or that they leave when I announce my presence. Shooting will always be my last resort. That doesn't mean however that I won't shoot if I need to. It just means I have no need or want to do it over stuff.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:21 AM   #32
Katrina Guy

keep mine "brusier" ready

That is to say I turn my shotgun around like so that I can smack the BG in the face with the shotgun stock, thus the term "BRUISER" ready, some of us just have to march to a different drummer.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:29 AM   #33
bcarver

Huntington, West Virginia

Hey katrina guy and Fired up

He has his location posted.

Obvioiusly it is a high crime area.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:31 AM   #34
4thPointofContact

Mossberg 930SPX....one in the chamber, safety on, magazine filled with 4 of 7 rounds capacity. This uses one box of Federal LE132-00.

AR-100....30-round magazine filled, chamber empty, safety off, Red Dot Optic turned off. (The safety is off because it's still the original 180-degree throw, soon to be replaced with a 90-degree lever.)

Everything else stays with one empty magazine in place during storage, loaded magazines are always in the same place. I'm with those who agree that magazine springs do not take a set (but I'm willing to hedge my bets as well.)
Old October 19, 2008, 10:37 AM   #35
Creature

I keep a Condition 3 Mossberg 590A1 shot gun.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:39 AM   #36
Playboypenguin

Quote:
He has his location posted.

Obvioiusly it is a high crime area.
Huntington is not a high crime area but it does have some bad parts. Once you cross under the tracks from the college side of town it can get a bit seedy.
Old October 19, 2008, 01:01 PM   #37
nemoaz

All my arms at home are kept the same way, hammer down, empty chamber, magazine full. I do this for three reasons:

-because "cruiser ready" is the way our long arms must be are carried at work so there is a muscle memory thing to me pulling the weapon from the rack or safe and racking a round, no thinking required

-because it gives a little added security in case the gun accidentally falls into the hands of a child who can'it figure out or operate the action of the shotgun or rifle

- because its simple for my wife because she doesn't have to remember which way the various safeties work and where the action release is on the shotgun
Old October 19, 2008, 03:09 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

A little away from the usual

Most everyone posting is using a pump gun. I have a chinese made coach gun w/rabbit ears. Sometimes loaded, but mostly not, with buckshot and birdshot in the buttcuff. I live in the country, miles from town, and I have one of those wonderful organic alarm systems (barking dog) that sometimes never seems to shut down. I have a loaded .45 next to the bed, and the coach gun by the bedroom door. Chlidren are grown and gone, so no child safety issues.

I choose the coach gun because it is short and handy, and it is the cheapest thing around, so I won't be out a nice model 12 if the cops have to take it as evidence. I'm not really worried about the "limited capacity", as I have easy access to other guns and ammo, and two 12 ga shots is more than enough to handle my most worrisome night time intruders, skunks, coons, and coyotes. One time I did have a run in with a porcupine, but that is an out of the ordinary occurrence, and a .38 took care of that just fine.
Old October 19, 2008, 04:43 PM   #39
bestbod85

I keep my mossberg 500 on a single hook rack which is hung on the bed rail on my side. i keep it loaded with 5 rounds of #4 buck in the mag tube and hammer down on an empty chamber, i also keep 00 buck and a few slugs on the sidesaddle just in case. i doubt i'll ever need to use the shotgun at all, let alone all that ammo... however i'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. good luck
Old October 19, 2008, 04:50 PM   #40
dabigguns357

Just how long has it been since you been gone playboy.Most of what i have posted earlier in this thread has been going on for about the last year or so.
Old October 19, 2008, 05:29 PM   #41
s4s4u

Quote:
Wow, where do you guys live that you need cocked and locked shotguns by the bed AND loaded pistols too? FyredUp
Jeez, look at your own signature line.......................
Old October 19, 2008, 06:24 PM   #42
right winger

Question for people who have a HD Shotgun

My Remington 870 has six in in amd a empty pipe. I also belive the sound of the round being chambered has a great effect.
Old October 19, 2008, 08:01 PM   #43
orionengnr

870, chambered and ready to go.
If I am awakened in the middle of the night by an intruder (and I have four mobile four-legged alarm systems) then there is someone inside the house that does not belong there.

The dogs barking/biting, etc. are the only warning they will get.

Quote:
If I was so scared in my own hone (sic) that I had to have a loaded gun with me 24 hours a day, and multiple ones at that, it wouldn't be my home for long.
You obviously don't read newspapers or watch the news. Home invasions happen in nice neighborhoods. You cannot predict where or when it may happen...however, you can be prepared. As someone once posted, "Carry 24/7 or guess right".
Quote:
I also question what makes you feel that someone stealing things is a deadly force event? Sorry, it is not.
Once again, spoken from your own obviously limited perspective. Get out a little more. Read up on laws in other (especially Free) states.

If you ever rid yourself of Gov. Doyle you may relinquish the moniker of "subject" and gain the right that may of us enjoy...the right to protect yourself and your property.

Yes, I used to live in the state just south of you, so I have experienced the mentality. Note that I don't say that I understand it.

Good luck. Sounds as if you will need it.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:04 PM   #44
FyredUp

Quote:
s4s4u Quote: Jeez, look at your own signature line.......................
I am prepared for my particular circumstances. I have my guns close at hand, with loaded magazines. Not on my nightstand. Not strapped to my bed. Not under my pillow. Not stuffed in the couch. Not in every room. Not stuffed in my belt inside my house.

If I was in that much fear in my own home I would move. That has to be a very ****ed up way to have to live.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:15 PM   #45
FyredUp

Quote:
orionengnr 870: chambered and ready to go.
If I am awakened in the middle of the night by an intruder (and I have four mobile four-legged alarm systems) then there is someone inside the house that does not belong there.

The dogs barking/biting, etc. are the only warning they will get.

Quote:
If I was so scared in my own hone (sic) that I had to have a loaded gun with me 24 hours a day, and multiple ones at that, it wouldn't be my home for long.

You obviously don't read newspapers or watch the news. Home invasions happen in nice neighborhoods. You cannot predict where or when it may happen...however, you can be prepared. As someone once posted, "Carry 24/7 or guess right".

Quote:
I also question what makes you feel that someone stealing things is a deadly force event? Sorry, it is not.

Once again, spoken from your own obviously limited perspective. Get out a little more. Read up on laws in other (especially Free) states.

You are missing my point. You may feel the law says you can shoot someone simply because they are in your home. You may or may not be right, frankly I don't know. My point is I am not willing to live with the thought that I killed someone over a 25 inch color television. Shoot over stuff if you feel the need, I won't.

If you ever rid yourself of Gov. Doyle you may relinquish the moniker of "subject" and gain the right that may of us enjoy...the right to protect yourself and your property.

I can protect myself and my family in my home NOW. As I said I don't believe in MY mind that deadly force extends to killing someone over my television, or for simply being in my home. If they threaten me or my family all bets are off. If I announce myself and they leave, I will let them leave.

Yes, I used to live in the state just south of you, so I have experienced the mentality. Note that I don't say that I understand it.

Good luck. Sounds as if you will need it. ;
For what do I need good luck? Getting concealed carry? Protecting myself?

Different perspective I guess. I have no need to kill someone over simply being in my house or over stuff.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:37 PM   #46
Katrina Guy

what a crazy argument, so called

Not everyone lives in a gated community, when I lived downtown in New Orleans , yes I typically always had a .38 J frame smith in my back pocket, big deal, didn't bother me any if it did I would have bought the allow lightweight version. "What a way to live?" Nice place to live actually, just anything can happen at any time in an urban area.
So you don't feel the need to keep an armed piece on your night stand, then don't, why make it sound like the rest of us are a band of Rambos for opting for such protection. And this argument, so called, about shooting a robber for stealing your television set, a 25" as I recall, who knows what a BG is up to when he illegally enters your premisis, how are we suppose to know (ahead of time) that he's only after said appliance, huh??? Are you a BG mind reader?
I posted earlier that I'd fire a warning shot if possible in the case of wide spread looting such as New Orleans after Katrina as your typical looter is not armed-that would depend some what on what time of day etc etc etc. But that kind of circumstance asside, someone breaks into my residence at night especially, this law abiding citizen isn't going to assume what his intentions are as relates to whether or not he wants to do me in or just swipe a tv set, are we the law abiding citizens to ask the invader what he's up to? How's this work? It doesn't work! In your home is totally different then stealing something out of your garage or something. It's like akin to living in the mountains almost, a grizzly bear breaks into my home and I'm inside my home, I don't think I'd be thinking, "oh I bet he's only after some honey like Winnie the Pooh" knowing full well that a bear in my home could kill me if he wanted/if he was left alone. And where it is written in here that we wouldn't if possible hold the BG at bay until LE arrived? What makes you think we'd lay in wait for the possibility to legally shoot someone if we didn't have to? You presume a LOT.
Old October 19, 2008, 11:29 PM   #47
FyredUp

Quote:
Katrina Guy: Not everyone lives in a gated community, when I lived downtown in New Orleans , yes I typically always had a .38 J frame smith in my back pocket, big deal, didn't bother me any if it did I would have bought the allow lightweight version. "What a way to live?" Nice place to live actually, just anything can happen at any time in an urban area.
So you don't feel the need to keep an armed piece on your night stand, then don't, why make it sound like the rest of us are a band of Rambos for opting for such protection. Never said you were Rambo's for keeping A gun on the nightstand, it is the multiple guns, with multiple magazines, stashed around the house, carrying in your house that seem extreme to me. Am I saying don't do it? Nope do what you wish. But if your fear level is that high I suggest moving. And this argument, so called, about shooting a robber for stealing your television set, a 25" as I recall, who knows what a BG is up to when he illegally enters your premisis, how are we suppose to know (ahead of time) that he's only after said appliance, huh??? Are you a BG mind reader? Nope, I am not, but if a guy is walking across my living room floor with my tv in his hand I can pretty easily assume he is stealing my tv and little else.
I posted earlier that I'd fire a warning shot if possible Warning shot? Inside your house? Seriously, that is crazy and dangerous beyond words. in the case of wide spread looting such as New Orleans after Katrina as your typical looter is not armed-that would depend some what on what time of day etc etc etc. But that kind of circumstance asside, someone breaks into my residence at night especially, this law abiding citizen isn't going to assume what his intentions are as relates to whether or not he wants to do me in or just swipe a tv set, are we the law abiding citizens to ask the invader what he's up to? How's this work? It doesn't work! In your home is totally different then stealing something out of your garage or something. It's like akin to living in the mountains almost, a grizzly bear breaks into my home and I'm inside my home, I don't think I'd be thinking, "oh I bet he's only after some honey like Winnie the Pooh" knowing full well that a bear in my home could kill me if he wanted/if he was left alone. Frankly this is an idiotic comparison. The thought processes are completely different between a bear and a man. A man may logically decide to disengage. And where it is written in here that we wouldn't if possible hold the BG at bay until LE arrived? What makes you think we'd lay in wait for the possibility to legally shoot someone if we didn't have to? You presume a LOT. I presume nothing. I am not the one advocating shooting someone for just being in your home.
We seem to just have differing philosophy's
Old October 20, 2008, 12:01 AM   #48
dabigguns357

Some people choose to live where they do and other live where they can.People can say all day long that yes i'de move from there right away but it aint that simple.So those of us who have to live where we do deal with it the best we know how.l don't feel threatened in my home,but i don't live in the best part of town and i can't rely on officer friendly,well because most of the time they just don't show up.So in my personal case i'll do what i have to do and it won't be scurying around trying to get to a gun or hiding in a corner,It's called being prepared.Another thing about having a gun on me 24/7,I have been wearing a gun on me since 1994.It's as natural as putting on my pants.I even have different guns for each season with matching holsters .
Old October 20, 2008, 12:08 AM   #49
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Once inside my home the BG is considered armed, dangerous and a threat to me and the rest of my family. Just to enter a man's home means he has little or no regard for human life including his own. These BG's know the risk they face with this chosen career and this stands to reason they are willing to take violent measures for self preservation.
As for my choice of loaded guns and their location near my bed is simply the best option for me. I do not expect to need to use them but they are ready and I am prepared if need be to use them. I don't have guns stashed around the house. I have several arms stored in a "clean room" that locks up tight. I keep my only pistol, a Ruger MKIII .22/45 loaded on the night table mainly for going out after snakes in the daylight hours. My only other loaded firearm is my Mossberg 500 20 gauge that has been for SD as long as I have owned it. As for shooting a thief for stealing, I would never do it... But ANY PERSON inside my house without invitation has me in fear of death or severe injury!
Brent
Old October 20, 2008, 01:20 AM   #50
Nnobby45

Shotguns, like the 870 or 1100 simply aren't drop safe. Every LE agency in the country, as well as cvilian SD courses teach Cruiser Ready for the reason above as well as other safety considerations--even for shotguns with Xbolt safeties. For some agencies that's hammer down on empty chamber with pulled trigger, safety off, and for others-- hammer cocked on empty chamber, requiring operation of unlocking lever on trigger guard for the pump or racking bolt for the auto.

My partner and I did timed shots from low ready with and without having to rack the shotgun (hammer down, chamber empty). From the buzzer, with only a little practice, the shotgun can be racked as it's being raised (safety off), and before being placed to shoulder shooting position without any sacrafice in time, whatsoever over chamber loaded safety on. And, of course, the shotgun can still be racked in advance when it's use seems likely or imminent.

Thumbs down to loaded pump or auto. A double barrel is another matter and needs to be loaded.
Closed Thread