The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

How many different shooting stances, positions and fast draw tactics to you use?

Most people I see at the range only practice the simple isosceles stance with both hands from 5-10 yards. I typically use the one handed method dueling stance, the fast draw crouching with my hand over the heart, the weaver stance every now and then, and recently I have picked up a few shooting stance that Chic Gaylord recommended in his book. The around corner stance (can't remember what exactly it is called but you peer around the corner and pin your gunless hand palm against the corner and rest the wrist with your gun in hand on your thumb to support your shot), Rock the Baby and the Border Patrol stance. The latter two I have found very interesting (and they seem to work quite well too). RtB seems to work well when you are picking off a careful shot in SA. Border Patrol seems like a good tactical stance and works well for DA and SA. You are kneeling down (low to the ground, and reducing yourself as a target) and are using your knee and the palm of your left hand as your gun stand to support your shot. You are essentially making your whole body a gun tripod of a sort. I try all of these methods at 20-25 yards away at least (would do 50 if I could but the indoor range I go to isn't that far) about 75% of the time

Last edited by Doug.38PR; February 20, 2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old February 20, 2006, 11:37 PM   #2
garrettwc

One. I believe in Hick's Law and the KISS principle.

I know how to do the others, but tend to revert to my main one. I try not to get wrapped up in stance. If your feet are in a "perfect stance" in a real fight, then you are standing there flat footed taking incoming fire instead of moving towards cover.

Just my .02
Old February 21, 2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Dwight55

See rules #4 and #7 for proper gunfighting:

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

We laugh at these, . . . joke about them, . . . but they are none the less very true.

If you are being shot at, . . . cover is your absolute, number one, priority, gotta be first priority.

If you are doing the shooting, . . . keep your target from obtaining any cover.

Yes, by all means it is good to know tactics, stances, etc, . . . but stay alive first, . . . shoot back later. Then allow your cover to dictate what stance or method you return fire.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 21, 2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Sir William

That around the corner stance as you called it, it is a good way to get hurt. It works OK with semi-autos but, it can cause problems with revolvers. I don't suggest it as a practical exercise. The fact is, form does NOT follow function. Down and dirty, muscle memory and practice that reinforces instinct is what we should do in crisis. If we think, blink or stop to assess our form, BANG! You are dead.
Closed Thread