The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 15, 2004, 10:59 PM   #1
ratkiller

light weight safes, a good idea?

I want a gun safe for my growing collection of guns.

I don't want to pay 600 bucks for a safe that I won't fill up, I think the most guns I will ever have is eight, two .22, .223, 7.62, 243, .308 and maybe some shotguns but I don't have to have them all locked up.

So, can I buy a safe that can be bolted to the floor or wall, because the ones I am looking at only weigh 300 to 500 pounds, and I know I could make off with one of the lighter ones and two or three could grab the larger kind.

Also what about a lockable closet type room with a strong door? I would rather have a safe since I might be moving soon but this might have to work.
Old December 15, 2004, 11:46 PM   #2
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
If you're going to be moving soon, I'd suggest the safe... Making a 'safe room' secure involves a bit of permanent modification to the door frame so it can accept extra heavy locks/hinges/etc. Or at least it SHOULD.
Old December 16, 2004, 01:05 AM   #3
hivel37

safe

Get a bigger safe than you ever think you'll need. You'll fill it up. Get a bolt- down safe. Think about the walls of the closet you're considering installing a safe door on. They need to be as strong as the door. Good luck.
Old December 21, 2004, 10:49 AM   #4
sm

I would contact a local Safe / Locksmith person whom you feel comfortable with.

He will access your needs and re-enforce the axiom " safes and security keep an honest man - honest".

Best way to prevent a problem is to NOT advertise by words or display of valuables. Folks see a Name Brand Logo guncase being carried accross a parking lot say at a Apt complex...only a matter of time. Easier to nab you and open than to break into or carry off.

Safe/Locksmith folks either have or can get used safes, re-enforced doors and such. They sell better locks than what is often seen at the hardware store. They can advise how to turn a closet into a "safe room". If you move, take the better lock, re-install to new location and since you are now educated, re-enforce the facings and such on new "safe room".

Sometimes easier to move a lock , than a safe.

Cover a safe with some kind of cover to "protect a pc of furniture" , when moving- folks see a safe - the word is out.

Keep mouth shut, less folks know the better.

It is not the person you tell or let see often times - it the one that you told or saw you that blabs to someone else.