The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2005, 04:13 PM   #1
kingudaroad

Think I'm Ready

I have purchased a rcbs rockchucker master kit, redding carbide 3 die set for .44 mag,rcbs case trimmer,hornady manuals(plus the speer came w/kit),a sturdy table (that is not so ugly that my wife will let me put it in the house)and various other tools I felt I had to have. Aprox total investment.......$800.00 I'm going to work on 2 basic loads to start out with using the measures in the speer manual.....practice load speer 200 gr jhp, 11.1 gr unique working up from there, hunting load, speer 240 gr jsp ,19 gr of 2400 to start. I also bought wlp primers.Hopefully this will be a good place to start, many thanks to y'all on this forum for all the advice and dumb questions you put up with.Actually ABC's of reloading saved me a lot of question asking. Any last minute advice? I'll be starting it up Sunday am!
Old July 8, 2005, 04:37 PM   #2
zeisloft

Why wait? When I first got started, I was chompin at the bit to get my first one rolled. Sunday seems like a Christmas away. Good luck, start slow.
~z
Old July 8, 2005, 05:28 PM   #3
kingudaroad

why wait? Cause today and tomorrow I'm workin my a$$ off to pay for all this stuff.
Old July 8, 2005, 05:43 PM   #4
zeisloft

maybe skip the sleep, good luck
~z
Old July 8, 2005, 10:20 PM   #5
scottys1

Sounds like you are ready.

I agree. Wait until you have plenty of time and have a relaxed atmosphere to start loading. Take your time and pay attention to the details. Don't worry about putting out a lot of ammo in a short time. Read the manual. Then go out and enjoy shooting your own loads.
Old July 8, 2005, 11:35 PM   #6
CaptainRazor

WOW!

king, you don't anything half-a$$ed do you?

Sounds like you got some really good equipment there, I would have suggested to skip a few of those things and look around in local shops for used stuff, but you would have "needed" it sooner of later.

The only thing I think you should get, IMHO, is the Lyman Reloading manual.
You don't need it right now, but I like it the best of all the manuals I have.
That might be because I shoot a lot of cast bullets, and it seems to have more data for them than the others.

Looks like you are off to a great start, just remember to tell all your shooting buddies that you are poor and your ammo is "substandard". That way, they won't mind you picking up their empties when they feel sorry for you!
Besides, we all know the truth about reloading, why create competition for the free range brass.

Good luck and be safe, I think soon you'll be like the rest of us, enjoying your new hobby almost as much as shooting.