The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 3, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Fletcher D

Browning A Bolt BOSS Settings

First post here...have been lurking for quite a while and found many helpful threads here. So, thanks.

I have an A Bolt in 30-06 with BOSS and am wondering of anybody has compiled any data (and could share) on the settings that they have found work best.

Now, I realize there is a "sweet spot" listing on browning's website. I have visited this page and have not found it very helpful due it's lack of specificity.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Bart B.

What specificity did you want?

Looks to me as if you should use a sweet spot close to that suggested for the bullet weight you're using. None of them are gonna be exact because pressure curves are not identical across all ammo lots for a given make, caliber, bullet weight and type.

And no two people shoot the same load out at the same velocity with the same barrel anyway. Plus not two barrels of the same make and bore profiles shoot the same load at the same velocity. So there's no way Browing's suggested setting for their A Bolt .30-06 rifles wil be the same for everyone and every rifle.

Shoot at least 10 shots per test group so they'll have reasonable levels of credibility for the accuracy attained.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:53 PM   #3
DaleA

I've always been fascinated by the BOSS system and how it can match the barrel harmonics to a specific load.

The Browning web site has a video on this page showing how to set your rifle.

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...ail.asp?id=107

I guess you just have to go out and shoot a few groups to match your particular rifle to your particular load. I guess I'd take a chance and buy a few boxes of my favorite ammunition, maybe even making sure I got the same lot number and then see if I could get the BOSS system to adjust to it.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Fletcher D

Bart...thanks for the reply. I would be very interested to see some range results from some abolt boss shooters. I'm looking for something a little more specific than, "150gr Hornady."
Something like, "150gr Hornady SST Superformance." Hornady mass produces 7 different types of 150gr ammo. That's just Hornady...and that's just 150gr ammo.

Last edited by Fletcher D; December 3, 2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old December 3, 2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Fletcher D

Thanks, Dale. That's a very cool video...in fact it's the video that made me want this rifle.
And, believe me, I will enjoy every round that it takes to find the sweet spot.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Bart B.

Fletcher, I'd set the BOSS for any one of the 150 grain bullets used. You would still have to test it even if Browning sent you stuff they tested with the ammo you want to use.

I wouldn't fret over having the exact load spec'd to your A bolt BOSS by Browning. With all due respect Browning for all the great stuff they've done, it's impossible for their BOSS system to work the way they claim it does. They claim the bullet shoots most accurate when it leaves when the barrel's straight. No barrel's straight when the bullet exits. They all wiggle and whip quite a bit. Check out this web site:

http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

'Twas proved over a century ago that if bullets leave as the muzzle axis is swinging up and almost before it reaches its highest angle, best accuracy happens. That compensates for the muzzle velocity spread; slower bullets leave at a higher angle than faster ones.

Browning does not state which way the barrel has to be moving when at some point it's straight out. it's either swinging down or up; one's not good and the other is.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Fletcher D

Ok...not looking for opinions here, Bart. No advise needed. A blind
monkey can tinker with the boss long enough to find the sweet spot. I
get it. Believe me, I'm going to shoot my rifle...quite a bit. I'm
sorry to be so blunt, but after many searches of many forums, the
threads always turn out this way with this topic. Somebody lists a
link to the sweet spot FAQ on browning's website and somebody else
lists a link to the advertisement video. The video is pretty cool,
though. I actually watched all 10 plus mins again today, so thanks for
that.

I was hoping to steer this thread in a different direction, or at
least past this point.

Really, what I am looking for is anybody with any hard data. An answer
to the question in the OP would go something like this..."Hey, fletch.
I have an a bolt with a conventional recoil BOSS in 30-06. I shoot
federal Sierra game kings in 165gr and am getting 0.5 MOA groups with
a BOSS setting of 2.8. It's the best I can get with this round."

I would really like to compile some data for the 30-06 22" barrel to start, but any other calibers/configurations are welcome.

All the best,
Fletcher D

Last edited by Fletcher D; December 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Heading off the semantics police