The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 18, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Dalton

Remington 7400 - 30-06, issue

Hey everyone.

I'm working on another gun for someone. This gun is a Remington Model 7400. It's a .30-06, semi-auto.

I've looked at this rifle and this is what I've discovered so far. When I first got it, I couldn't get the magazine out. The button wouldn't depress to remove it. The guy said he was having issues getting the cartridges to cycle. I tried one and it got stuck up inside the chamber and wouldn't come out. I had to use a cleaning rod to push it back out.

I messed around with the magazine and finally got it out. It then worked fine and would go in and out with no issues. I had the same magazine that was in it, lying around. I tried mine and I still had the issues with the cartridges.

After playing with it a while, I noticed that the bolt, charging handle, and ejector port cover will go further and "fully seat". However, when I went to feed a catridge, the charging handle, hence the bolt, wouldn't seem to go forward as far and the ejector port cover would stop well short of where it was. Maybe a quarter to a half an inch from where it was without the cartridge.

I can't find much information on the internet, so I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem. Could it be a spring on the bolt that isn't depressing and letting the bolt go forward when a cartridge is in the chamber, but without one, there isn't a need to be depressed, so it goes all the way forward? Thanks for the help.
Old August 18, 2012, 02:54 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Clean the chamber
Old August 18, 2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Creeper

Quote:
Clean the chamber
And every other stuff while your at it.

Seriously, it sounds like your "customer" is not real big on cleaning. I've known some 7400 owners who's idea of cleaning is to run a pull thru up the barrel, spray some generic spooge in the general direction of the action... and call it good.

C
Old August 18, 2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Slamfire

Read this from Wiesners. Might help in some way.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...7407427400.htm
Old August 18, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Dalton

I am going to try cleaning it first. There is a pin that has something to do with the ejector. It doesn't depress and I think it should. It could be gunked up. I was watching the disassembly video on youtube and it looks like it's gonna be a pain in the butt. I'll have to take out a roll pin, which I've found vary as to house easy or hard they are to take off. There is a giant nut that I'll have to remove with a wrench, and a tiny pin that you have to remove to take the operating handle off. Thanks for the help so far.
Old August 18, 2012, 10:04 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

When you get the barrel off, check for the possibility of a headless case stuck in the chamber. If that is the problem, don't just remove the case and call it good because a broken case usually means a seraious headspace problem.

Jim
Old August 19, 2012, 07:49 AM   #7
jaguarxk120

The barrel does not come off, screwed to reciever, need special wrench to get it off.
Old August 19, 2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Goatwhiskers

I would seriously suggest that you take the gun to a 'smith as the gun is NOT friendly to home gunsmithing. The barrel does have to be removed to remove the action bars and bolt, also the "pin" that holds the operating handle in is tapered, out is not hard, back in not so much. If you use a poorly fitting wrench on the barrel nut and screw it up, another problem. I feel sure that you either have a rusty chamber or a broken case stuck inside, either way you need someone who knows what they're doing. I've been repairing "bubbaed" Remingtons for a long time. GW
Old August 19, 2012, 12:57 PM   #9
arch308

I would have to agree to try cleaning the chamber with an oversized bore brush and Hoppe's. Also remove the forearm and clean with spray cleaner & towel, then lube all moving parts. I've been doing this to mine and haven't found the need to dissassemble so far. Also I would chk the chamber for broken shell just 'cause.
I've never had a jam with mine. Good luck.
Old August 19, 2012, 11:30 PM   #10
NESHOOTER

Are those his reloads? or New factory ammo?

Tags
30-06 , 7400 , remington , rifle , semi-auto