The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which handgun (in your opinion) gets the 2009 handgun of the year award?
Glock 173 23.70%
Ruger 127 17.40%
Springfield 68 9.32%
Colt 17 2.33%
HK 25 3.42%
CZ 37 5.07%
Smith & Wesson 65 8.90%
Walther 16 2.19%
Dan Wesson 31 4.25%
Kimber 16 2.19%
Khar 11 1.51%
Steyr 3 0.41%
Beretta 11 1.51%
Wilson Combat 8 1.10%
Ed Brown 10 1.37%
Les Baer 7 0.96%
Browning (FN) 9 1.23%
IMI 7 0.96%
Taurus 29 3.97%
Sig 60 8.22%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 30, 2009, 01:11 PM   #126
ClayInTx

Humming is allowed if you can't sing it

One day I ventured a poll never once suspecting
What the final result would be,
But I put in up into the forum
And thought I’d wait and see.
Well, I listed the names of several makes
And stacked them all in place,
And then I asked of everyone to join into the race.

Well, the race is on and here comes Glock
up the backstretch,
Smith & Wesson going to the inside.
Taurus is holding back, trying not to fall.
Steyr is out of the running;
Kel-Tec scratched for another’s sake.
The race is on and it looks like Ruger
Is going to take it all.

(Apologies to C&W music, Buck Owens, and Don Rollins.)

Late Wednesday night: Well, it looks as if the Glock fans have made a come-from-behind drive to topple Ruger. I guess it ain't over 'til it's over.

Last edited by ClayInTx; December 31, 2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Change in results noted.
Old December 31, 2009, 02:15 AM   #127
Firepower!

Yes it does look like that. Glocksters have voted right at the end moving from 5th to first position in a few days. Especially last night they really got together and dislogged Ruger from the first place. Unless Ruger fan are holding out these last few hours of the vote, it is over. At least so it seems.
Old December 31, 2009, 09:32 AM   #128
Firepower!

The final result for the 2009 Best Handgun Poll!

Here are the final results for the 2009 Best Handgun poll.

Glock (173 vote) 2009 Winner!
Ruger (127 votes) Runner up!

Springfield (68 votes) Third place
Smith& Wesson (65 votes) Fourth place
Sig Sauer (60 votes) Fifth place

Total number of votes polled was 730, a significant increase from that of last year’s.

These are the results from the year 2009 TFL Handgun of the year poll. The 2008 Winner was Smith & Wesson (65 votes), Runner up Glock (60 votes), Third place Springfield (54 votes), Fourth place Ruger (53 votes), and Fifth place (47 votes). The total number of votes polled was 460. The 2008 result is found here.

Analysis
Same players occupied the top five slots. Glock moved from second place to the first. Last year’s winner, Smith & Wesson was fourth this year, and Ruger, which was fifth last year moved to the runner up position. Springfield and Sig Sauer held their positions at third and fifth, respectively.

On an interesting note, Taurus (29 votes) is 8th this year, whereas last year it was tied (16 votes a piece) at the 8th spot with Dan Wesson, which is placed 7th this year with 31 votes. Steyr (3 votes) was the worst performer this year, and second worst performer (4 votes) last year; Kroth (2 votes) being the worst 2008 performer. Kroth was not included in the poll since it is an expensive item that is rarely owned and, therefore, does not reflect its true appreciation in these polls.

Another interesting result was that of H&K. H&K was positioned at 6th spot last year with 34 votes; however, it slipped to 9th place this year with only 25 votes! I am surprised at H&K’s poor performance since it came out with much hyped HK45 and the P30. Were these products not at par with H&K reputation? Slipping from 6th to 9th position is a bad showing for H&K, but more than that the decrease in number of votes is alarming when in aggregate 270 more votes were polled this year than last.

Thus, it seems like that the aforementioned five brands of pistols are most popular. Some changes in the preferences affect the results each year. I guess next year’s poll may also show same players in the top five slots. However, I would like to ask now for your analysis in terms of what changed that led to reshuffling of positions this year? I know that Ruger gained position because it came out with a few products, but what about Glock? What led to decline of SW in it position? Finally, what in the world happened to the H&K this year?
Old December 31, 2009, 12:13 PM   #129
ClayInTx

First let me clarify that I am not a fan of any manufacturer of anything, be it guns, cars, or vacuum cleaners. I own a variety of guns, some I like, some I don’t.

However...

Something which is a bit curious to me is that this poll began mid-September and Ruger was strong for three and one/half months; then in the last two days Glock surged to the top.

Last edited by ClayInTx; December 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old December 31, 2009, 12:24 PM   #130
Firepower!

This is very true.

I voted Walther since I was really taken by P99's quality, but I guess not many liked it.

One thing I have noticed about Glock fans is that they really vote in polls and they always vote Glock. This is even when in past 2 plus decades Glock only added a rail and finger groves!
Old January 1, 2010, 05:28 AM   #131
Firepower!

How many of us voted here have actually handled and or fire Steyr? I am just curious since Steyr M9 really offers quite a bit in design.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:50 AM   #132
9Para

You did not include Kel-tec, and for that this whole poll is a failure. Glocks, all the other ones have been around for years. Keltec has revolutionized carry pistols, for CHEAP prices, you get a GREAT gun. This poll is a failure.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:59 AM   #133
Firepower!

9Para
I appreiciate your enthusiasm. If you like you can start a new poll of Kel Tec against the Glock in semi atuo section to decide this matter. If Kel Tec beats out Glock I will agree that poll is a failure.
Old January 1, 2010, 09:48 PM   #134
YARDDOG(1)

IMO Glocks need only one finger groove
Old January 4, 2010, 01:15 AM   #135
Firepower!

yard...does this mean they have to remove 2 and call it the fifth generation?
Old January 4, 2010, 03:48 AM   #136
inSight-NEO

I could be wrong, but I recall several XDs and/or XDMs, namely the 9mm and .40 S&W, being among the best handguns (by popularity via sale) for 2009.

As far as the Glock...meh. I consider the Glock to be the Microsoft of the polymer world, with the XD being the Apple. Each to their own I guess.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.
Old January 5, 2010, 03:22 AM   #137
Firepower!

Glock certainly seems like ms but for an apple there are quite a few candidate alongwith XD, such as HK SW FN etc
Old January 6, 2010, 12:55 AM   #138
North Bender

I'll continue with my Makarov! Great poll and suprisingly all were gentleman posters given the topic.

Tags
best handgun , glock , ruger , smith & wesson , springfield