The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 24, 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
msnden

Maverick/NEF

I am asking for a friend in regards to home protection, he is looking at the Maverick security 88

or the NEF Pardoner protector

In my opinion I would rate them about equal, he is leaning toward the Maverick, but would have to order it, they have the NEF in stock, as far as price goes I think the maverick was a few buck more but not enough to make a difference, I told he I would ask here, Thanks Msn
Old December 24, 2009, 08:10 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I prefer the American made Maverick over the imported NEF pump gun.

The fit and finish was plenty nice on the 88 I had...
Brent
Old December 25, 2009, 11:09 AM   #3
JerseyDrez

Mav 88 all the way!

Mine has gotta have over 10k rds through it and I purchased it in July of this year. Just like most shotguns, it can take a beating. I clean and grease usually after every shooting session yet sometimes Ive gone 2-3 days of clay shooting without cleaning (anywhere from 500-1krds) and it still runs so damn smooth!

Best $200 Ive spent. Im so glad I didnt spend the extra money on an 870 or 500. Instead I put that money towards a VR field barrel and lots and lots of ammo.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old December 25, 2009, 01:17 PM   #4
MAX100

The Pardner Protector is built like a tank for heavy use. It can accept all of the same accessories as the Remington 870.

The Mav 88 can't accept a tube extension and you have to remove the whole mag tube to change out the mag tube spring and follower or if it needs to be cleaned out. The whole forend assembly has to changed out for a 500 assembly if you want put a different plastic forend on it.

Go with the Protector it's a much more versatile shotgun. I even prefer it over the Remington 870 express.

Do your research before buying. There is plenty of info available on the Protector.

GC
Old December 25, 2009, 02:00 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
The whole forend assembly has to changed out for a 500 assembly if you want put a different plastic forend on it.
I have never personally seen an 88 without a spanner nut holding on the fore end and have swapped fore stocks before.
Brent
Old December 25, 2009, 06:49 PM   #6
JerseyDrez

Mine is stock so it looks like any other one, but here it is anyway. I love it, its probably one of my favorites in my collection.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old December 25, 2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Chalupa

I don't like the fact the Pardner Pump is made in China.

That being said for equal price I would take it over the
Maverick 88.

This might get me flamed but, I would take it over the
Rem 870 too if the price was good enough.

The Partner is still a well made shotgun. I use what
works.
Old December 25, 2009, 09:00 PM   #8
SoilworK777

+1 on the Norinco/NEF Protector. I have the Norinco 982 and it's like MAX100 says. Cleaning out the mag tube and adding accessories is a snap unlike the Mossberg. I replaced the factory mag spring with a thicker gauge Wolff, and the plastic follower with one that's stainless steel.
Old December 25, 2009, 09:09 PM   #9
colostomyclown

as Brent said,

Maverick. American made. The pardner is VERY sturdy to the touch though. I want a Pardner since I already have a few Mossbergs.
Old December 25, 2009, 10:44 PM   #10
FSJeeper

I own both and the Pardner is the better shotgun.
Old December 26, 2009, 02:24 AM   #11
CapnTrainwreck

Quote:
as Brent said,

Maverick. American made. The pardner is VERY sturdy to the touch though. I want a Pardner since I already have a few Mossbergs.
Mavericks are Mexican made and assembled in Texas. I've owned both and The Pardner is superior in fit, finish, and it's got more heft to it which I like for recoil and follow-up.
Old December 26, 2009, 11:02 AM   #12
glove

+1 For the Maverick 88 I have one and like it.
Dave
anyway.
Old December 26, 2009, 11:35 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Mavericks are Mexican made and assembled in Texas.
Some of the parts of Maverick and Mossberg are made in Mexico. Receivers for both are made in the USA... I think it is against Mexico federal law to make "guns" so like us I reckon the serial numbered part is "the gun"...
I doubt any parts made in the USA for the Mossberg would be made in Mexico for the Maverick. It wouldn't make financial sense to have lower production numbers in the Mossberg parts... price for manhour per item would be high.

So I bet that all parts made in the USA are used on both as are Mexican parts on Mossbergs... Mossbergs are made in the home factory along with administrative jobs.

The Texas plant builds out the Maverick and does the service work for Maverick and Mossberg... IIRC.
Brent
Old December 26, 2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Big Bill

Quote:
u didnt want a 870 jammo matic lol
It never ceases to amaze me that some people take every opportunity to disparage a gun or company that they don't like. Guns jam for lots of reasons: problem with the gun itself; operator error; lack of maintenance, etc.

I bought 2 Mossberg Mavericks about 10 years ago. I had my Remington 870 express for several years prior to that. I gave the two Mavericks to two of my sons for their birthdays that year. Over the years, the Mavericks worked well in all kinds of conditions and so did my 870.

But, as more time passed and my two sons left home, every now and again one of my sons or the other would call and tell me they were having trouble with their shotgun. So, I'd have them bring it over and we'd disassemble it together and clean it. Then we'd reassemble it and presto, it would be good as new.

I was in Army basic training while the country was still in Vietnam when they were complaining about the M16s not working well. Now we know it was a combination of government stupidity that caused the problem. But, at that time they stressed maintenance and cleaning probably more than they have at any other time and I learned that lesson well.

Most shotguns made today are very good guns. I like my Remington 870 because it has never failed me. I'm so familiar with it that it's just like part of my own arm. But then, I also take care of it. When I read something about a gun being a jam-o-matic, I wonder why the owner didn't talk to Remington, send it back, or just clean it really well.
Quote:
Pump Action Model 870™
If the Model 870™ were introduced today, it would be hailed as a major advance in pump-action shotgun design - the ultimate in strength, durability, silky-smooth bind-free action, and sleek classical lines.

Yet this remarkable shotgun has been around for almost half a century, and has become the best-selling shotgun of any type in history, with over ten million made.
http://www.remington.com/product-fam...model-870.aspx

Get back with me when Mossberg can make the same claim.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; December 27, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old December 26, 2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Onward Allusion

NEF, H&R, Marlin, Remington - same company and Mossberg/Mavericks have Mexican parts. Don't buy any of 'em!
Old December 26, 2009, 04:54 PM   #16
TxGun

Mossberg sends raw steel on flatbed trucks to Torreon, Mexico, and receives sealed containers of barrels, triggers and bolt assemblies on pallets in return. Receivers and stocks are produced in North Haven, and shipped to Eagle Pass to be married with the parts from Mexico. This is the process for both Mossberg and Maverick guns, not just Mavericks. This process is somewhat unique and is known as "reverse maquilla", since most companies are having complete products built in Mexico and shipped north fully assembled. Mossberg's process does allow a high degree of QC to occur in the U.S., and that's certainly a good thing, but it is also due to the nature of the product: It is against Mexican law to produce guns in that country (outside of military armories). Receivers = guns in the U.S. and, apparently, in Mexico also. So fully assembling guns down there is a no-go.

Last edited by TxGun; December 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:20 PM   #17
Chalupa

Quote:
Don't buy any of 'em!

Honestly, you could probably have decent use and wear
out of either the Partner or Maverick.
Old December 26, 2009, 11:12 PM   #18
TxGun

Quote: Honestly, you could probably have decent use and wear
out of either the Partner or Maverick.

Absolutely . Both have a lot of guns sold, especially Maverick...and complaints seem to be few and far between. Both are good guns, particularly for the money, IMO.
Old December 27, 2009, 01:06 PM   #19
Carusomv

I have to agree with Bill mostly. Most shotguns are well made now days and will function properly if you clean and maintain them. As far as 'made in China / Mexico' we are going to have to learn to get over it. Most of the world is now made somewhere else in the world now, it's not just the U.S. and Japan with novelties made in Taiwan anymore. I've heard good things as well as disparraging remarks about all of the models mentioned and have shot most of them myself. Any company no matter how good the QC is will from time to time put out an inferior product and unfortunately that will color the opinion of the customer that bought it, but the same company will also make it right if asked, so suck it up and ask for warranty work if you need it instead of bad mouthing a whole brand or model.
My personal choice is the Mossberg 590. After thousands of rounds of full power buck and slugs and skeet loads ( yes, I do shoot skeet with a 20" barrel, it makes things more interesting ) I have not had a single failure of any kind, often without cleaning for close to a thousand rounds.
Although the 500/590 hasn't sold ten million, it is the only model to have passed ALL of the MIL-SPEC 3443 standards testing without a hitch.
Bottom line, buy the best weapon you can afford, even if you have to save up a little to get the best you can, then train with it until it is an extension of your body and your movements are fluid, automatic and instictive.