The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 14, 2008, 02:22 PM   #1
bclark1

Selling hunting property?

Hey all - quick question for you, as Google has only yielded some unprofessional or underdeveloped looking aggregators websites...

Folks close to me are getting rid of a vacation home and a little acreage as they are planning to leave the region soon. They're concerned about the price because most of the people they know like vacation homes with lakes and country clubs, and not ones secluded among farms in the upper midwest. However, I think if you looked at the right demographic - sportsmen - they'd see the value right away. So I was thinking, is there any solid way to get the word out about this sort of property that would help specifically reaching the right buyers?

Thanks for any input!
Old July 14, 2008, 02:53 PM   #2
bluedog

send me the address!

I would like to know the details....where is it?
Old July 14, 2008, 07:19 PM   #3
JP Sarte

My comments may be related maybe not. Here goes. I have always found it interesting that if a person lists a "wooded" parcel of 40 acres (no water) lets say for $35,000.00 the interest may or may not be high depending on a lot of different factors. If that same person lists that same parcel as "hunting property" the price shoots up 30% and it gets triple the attention. Maybe they should list it that way?

JP
Old July 14, 2008, 10:34 PM   #4
bclark1

Thanks, that's a good point - I'm not sure what the listing says (or will say), but that was my gist. Heck, even list it under multiple titles - I just think if the right sportsman saw it, it could click, whereas if you're only putting it out among suburban drivers whose H2s have never seen gravel the odds are lower.

For anyone else, the only stone I've turned over is Cabela's Trophy Properties. I expected to open it and see a bunch of $10M ranches - and there are some - but there are some very modest parcels in there as well. Problem is it doesn't seem very aggressively promoted, there's maybe a dozen or so listings in the states I checked, but still, it's the right target. It has a higher factor of legitimacy than most of the other dedicated national sites I've seen though.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:43 PM   #5
JP Sarte

In the end the goal is to sell I guess. I will always hate the notion of selling to some "Yuppie" (do they even use that term anymore?) with more money than common sense versus a normal working guy who will really appreciate it. But a sale is a sale. If selling is the goal do what you have to.

JP
Old July 15, 2008, 12:53 AM   #6
predator86

did you look in the local paper for ideas??

wow, in our local paper there are all kinds of ads for "hunting property" for sale.....

lots of the ads go like this, " ATTENTION SPORTSMEN!!! 60 acre parcel for sale, 45 acres of woods, 15 acres of lower fields, right next to state land! exellent deer and wild turkey hunting! 5 miles southeast of renowned trout stream!! access already there along with hookups for a trailer or small cabin, perfect for the outdoorsman!!!!!! $145,000

so go ahead and list it as hunting land and drive up the prices even more for us.....
Old July 15, 2008, 01:22 AM   #7
bclark1

Perhaps I'm reading unnecessary negativity into responses here, but if it's present, there's no need for it.

Market drives the prices... if people want to pay it, it's there, regardless of what you call it. Sellers don't, because if it's not a price the market agrees with, it doesn't sell. More, it's a noble concept to trust your land as a public conservation easement to the working man, and I'd laud all of you who no doubt will, but in normal cases working people are who invest in acquiring property in the first place. Finally, judging one buyer over another as an unappreciative yuppie or whathaveyou is foolish - if they're no hunter, then it's more deer for you, and if they are a hunter or wish to become one, it's another voter protecting your rights.

I admittedly question my read given the hour, but it's good advice regardless of the situation to eschew your assumptions, as we know what result thereof.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:54 PM   #8
JP Sarte

My comments about selling it as "hunting land" are a reality. A fact of real estate life I neither invented nor appreciate. It just is.

As for the Yuppie comment. I stand by it. Just my personal viewpoint. I would be happier selling to some people over others. That's it.

JP
Old July 16, 2008, 09:29 AM   #9
bclark1

That's fine, and I believe it. I just felt like there was some finger-pointing going on. I am probably a "yuppie" by your measuring stick, as I've never lived more than 20 miles from a metropolis. Efficient and consolidated agriculture and outsourcing mean most people are going to be away from the outdoor action these days. Doesn't mean any particular person can't still enjoy (and deserve) it. It's about respect for where you're headed, not where you're from.

Anyway, geosocial and market analysis tangents aside, I appreciate all the input.
Old July 16, 2008, 10:05 AM   #10
JP Sarte

bclark:

I agree with you completely. If you define yourself as a "Yuppie" I wish I met more like you. To me, a person's attitude is a much a part of the definition (if not more) as the lifestyle itself although likely not part of the original "upwardly mobile" definition.

In reality my M.A. and my wife's M.B.A. could likely categorize us in that grouping as well. So in all fairness I probably (at least in part) defined the term Yuppie incorrectly.

JP

Tags
hunting property estate