The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
DonR101395

Bought a new Marlin LC Smith

I just bought a NIB Marlin LC Smith on gunbrokers for 799.95. My first internet firearm purchase and sure seems flawless. It should arrive Friday. Anyone else have an LC Smith? I've been looking for months and I liked the way they felt and the price was right. Around here they are going for $1100-$1200.
Old February 8, 2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Ga Johnny

sounds like a good deal price wise, I've been curious about this gunbroker thing myself, let me know what you think of it,
Old February 8, 2006, 10:47 PM   #3
DonR101395

So far it's worked out. I'll post more after I receive it. I gave the seller my CC info went to my FFL today, he faxed his FFL to them I called and confirmed it and got a tracking number for the box before I got home from work. All total about four hours from lunch when I did everything til I got home. It was Red's Trading Post in Idaho. They were real friendly and helpful. I should pick it up Friday so I'll post more.
Old February 9, 2006, 07:04 PM   #4
dgludwig

Assuming your new "LC Smith" is the one recently introduced by Marlin, you should be aware that when you inquire "if anyone else has an LC Smith" that all LC Smiths made prior to the latest (Turkish?) offerings have absolutely nothing in common with each other, except for the name and the fact both have two barrels residing side-by-side. Which, by the way, is no knock on the newest "Elsies"-they may,in fact, be better than the originals for all I know (though I very much doubt it).
Old February 10, 2006, 01:06 AM   #5
DonR101395

dgludwig Wrote: [Quote] "Assuming your new "LC Smith" is the one recently introduced by Marlin, you should be aware that when you inquire "if anyone else has an LC Smith" that all LC Smiths made prior to the latest (Turkish?) offerings have absolutely nothing in common with each other, except for the name and the fact both have two barrels residing side-by-side. Which, by the way, is no knock on the newest "Elsies"-they may,in fact, be better than the originals for all I know (though I very much doubt it)."

There is no assuming I stated it in the title of the post and in the body of the post. The barrels are sitting one on top of the other not next to each other as well.
They are made in Italy not Turkey. Marlin has held ownership of LC Smith since 1945 and produced LC Smith shotguns from 1945 to 1950 when they closed the New Haven factory. They did limited production from 1968 to 1971, they put a few shotguns together in the early 1990's with left over parts and finally re-introduced the Marlin LC Smith in early 2005 after contracting production to an Italian manufacture. I know a little about the LC Smith history and know that both LC Smith and Marlin produced/produce quality firearms and have no reason to think they would bring the LC Smith back as anything less than a quality piece of equipment. It's not in the Perazzi catagory but wasn't intended to be. Basically I was wondering if anyone had bought one and what was their impression of it.
Old February 10, 2006, 02:35 AM   #6
dgludwig

No need to get testy. I never said the new "LC Smith" wasn't a quality firearm but when you ask for input from other LC Smith owners I simply wanted to make the point that the originals-all side-by-sides as you must know since you "know a little about the L C Smith history"- have nothing in common with Marlin's latest effort to exploit the L C Smith brand name. Because you didn't distinguish between real L C Smith owners and L C Smith wannabes, I thought I would.
Old February 10, 2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

LC Smith was a manufacturer of fine shotguns starting in the 1870s. Smith was also involved with the development of the Smith Corona typewriter. Pre WWII Elsies were all sidelocks, rather than the more common boxlock.

Very good shotguns.

The new stuff is finished to a level higher than the Baikal/Stoeger stuff, and looks very good. How well it will hold up under heavy use is unproven, but as hunting arms they should do OK.

Obviously, Marlin faces the same market issues that have made things tough for US gun makers. Outsourcing the production keeps things competitive.

Of more importance than where these are made is how these are made. I'm inclined to the notion that quality is acceptable until proven otherwise.

The one user writtern T&E I've seen on these indicates it shot where the user was looking, both barrels.

Barrel convergence is a large issue with doubles. Let's see how yours and others shoot. Use a patterning board to determine POA/POI, then if acceptable, shoot the heck out of it....
Old February 10, 2006, 10:57 AM   #8
DonR101395

[Quote] "No need to get testy. I never said the new "LC Smith" wasn't a quality firearm but when you ask for input from other LC Smith owners I simply wanted to make the point that the originals-all side-by-sides as you must know since you "know a little about the L C Smith history"- have nothing in common with Marlin's latest effort to exploit the L C Smith brand name. Because you didn't distinguish between real L C Smith owners and L C Smith wannabes, I thought I would."

Not getting testy. Just didn't/don't care for arrogance. Saying an LC Smith produced today is not a "real" LC Smith but a wannabe LC Smith is like saying a Ford is not a real Ford since the old ones we bought were made in Detroit and the new ones are made in Mexico and Canada. Since the O/U isn't a real LC Smith is the side by side they are selling a real LC Smith? How dare Marlin try to exploit a brand name they've owned for 61 years by adding an over/under and moving production to somewhere affordable. They can actually sell shootable guns instead of safe queens the average guy can't afford and if he does buy one he's afraid to take out because he might scratch the finish on his $4000 rabbit gun.
Old February 10, 2006, 11:52 AM   #9
K80Geoff

It is not arrogance to lament that the fine name of L. C. Smith, the only successful AMERICAN made sidelock, is now applied to a foreign made boxlock.

Sad, in that the Parker, Fox and Winchester 21 doubles are still being made here in the US. And even the Parker SXS made in Japan are called "Reproductions" even though they are exact copies.

Elsies are far from $4000 guns. I have found two in the last year both in the $700 range and shootable albeit showing their age and use.

The L C Smith has a prominent place in U S firearms history, shared with other SXS such as Parker, Fox,Winchester (M21), Lefever and Remington. It is an Icon.

Unfortunately Marlin has chosen to use the name to sell imports, even though the imports are of fine quality and are affordable.

Please enjoy your new shotgun!
Old February 10, 2006, 01:44 PM   #10
dgludwig

Fords made in Mexico or Canada or the United States are still Fords. Yugos made in Bangladash and marketed in America as "Fords" are still Yugos. You don't seem to understand that I'm not trying to denigrate the new Marlin shotgun. To my knowledge, Marlin has never foisted a bad gun on the buying public and it would be foolish for them to do so now. But if, say Remington were to contract with a maker of shotguns in Spain, Japan, Italy or wherever and have them cobble up a sxs, stamp it "Krieghoff" (assuming for the sake of argument it would be legal for them to do so) and sell it as a "Krieghoff" that doesn't make it a Krieghoff, even a little bit. And Krieghoff aficianados not only pick up on the ruse they might even resent it.

In i988, when Remington reintroduced the Parker to Americans at least it looked like the original and was designed like the real McCoy. Likewise, in the late sixties/early seventies, when Marlin reintroduced the L C Smith to Americans, there was no mistaking the sacred Elsie lineage. But when Marlin trots out a box-lock sxs, and even a "gasp" o/u and dub them "L C Smiths", some Elsie fans are going to take the marketing ploy as an affront to their revered marquee. That should come as no surprise to anyone acquainted with at least some people in "the world of guns".

So, absolutely no offense intended and, as I indicated in my earlier post, the new "L C Smith" may well be a better shotgun than the original. But it's still an Elsie dressed in drag. And as K80Geoff noted, for some of us, that's kind of sad and unfortunate...
Old February 10, 2006, 02:05 PM   #11
Jart

I've got a 1949 L.C. Smith field grade. A real piece of American craftsmanship that also happens to acquit itself well during dove season. It may well be the one gun I own that will never be for sale.

But the Marlin import looks fine and I look forward to a range report. Everything I've heard about the SxS has been positive and you've likely got a real winner in the O/U. I'm particularly interested in how it patterns.

Don't worry about any Elsie fans being "affronted" - those few that are will all be at the bar commiserating with the S&W fans over the new plastic "M&P". Now, there you will hear howls of protest.
Old February 10, 2006, 03:29 PM   #12
DonR101395

My appolagies to all. I've been wound a little tight this week. I may have mistook your intentions. I'll post a range report soon.
Old February 10, 2006, 07:43 PM   #13
SShooterZ

Whoops, double post.
Old February 10, 2006, 07:43 PM   #14
SShooterZ

Please do post a range report.

I for one have been looking for a decent "new" SxS without having to spend $3K on a Merkel or Renato Gamba. I thought at first that the CZ line of Ringnecks was going to be the gun I was looking for but I have heard of way too many problems. I've got an old Stevens 311 16ga SxS and have a Model-B Fox in the same gauge on the way. Very serviceable well made guns but far from elegant.

Keep us updated!
Old February 11, 2006, 09:43 PM   #15
DonR101395

It has arrived

It came today. I bought it from Red's Trading Post on Gunbroker.com. They were great to deal with and even gave me the option of taking the on the auction that was a display model or having one that was still factory sealed in the box. Fit and finish are excellent. Bores are clean and smooth. It's marked Marlin firearms in small print on the barrel and the receiver is marked LC Smith in very nice old english letters. Taking it to the range on Tuesday if I can't get there tomorrow. More to follow.
Old February 15, 2006, 10:20 PM   #16

I've been looking at the Marlin LC Smiths also and await your range report (with pictures?).
Old February 16, 2006, 02:35 PM   #17
johnbt

"It is not arrogance to lament that the fine name of L. C. Smith, the only successful AMERICAN made sidelock, is now applied to a foreign made boxlock."

Maybe not, but it does fall into the 'Beating A Dead Horse' category when everybody and their brother knows where they're made, including the guy that started the thread, and people continue to point it out.

I'm looking forward to hearing about his new shotgun, I don't care if it says Crescent on it.

John
Old February 17, 2006, 05:52 PM   #18
DonR101395

Got it to the range today. Sorry but no pictures. I was pressed for time so I wasn't as thorough as I would have liked to been. I was shooting Winchester AA 7 1/2 shot. I used the modified and full chokes at 25 meters to pattern it. It was respectable I would say about 90%-95% into a 30" circle. I broke a few clays using the modified and cylinder chokes. It swings and shoulders very nice. It's a little heavy, but not excessivley heavy at 7 1/4 pounds. I got quite a few compliments on it. As stated before it's not in the Perazzi class, but I think it's going to make a fine field gun and hobby skeet shooting gun. Overall I'm very happy with it. I'm hoping I can get out and shoot a full round in the next couple of weekends.
Old February 17, 2006, 09:14 PM   #19
dgludwig

How is the receiver finished (blued, in-the-white,case-hardened, any engraving/etching)? Do you know what kind of a lock-up it has (any top/cross lock ala Greener)? How would you rate the checkering and general finish? Finally, do you know if you can order double triggers on it?
Thanks for your fine review. It sounds like Marlin is offering a quality-made yet affordable shotgun for the buying public.
Old February 17, 2006, 11:52 PM   #20
DonR101395

It's color case hardened, there is a small amount of engraving on the trigger guard. Fit and finish is very nice. The checkering is nice, maybe a little deeper than I'm used to on my other shotguns, but not to the point of painful or uncomfortable. Very nice quality at an affordable price. I'll try to post some pics of it tomorrow.