The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 1999, 01:27 AM   #1
Sportster

Question: I reload 357 Sig and have been noticing a lot of unburnt powder when I shoot-the stuff flys everywhere and fouls the barrel lightly. I'm wondering what causes this? Could it be the lube I spray lightly on the cases before sizing them? Could it be I need to crimp better or seat the bullet a tad deeper? Could it be the Winchester primers I'm using? Any ideas? I'm using a 124g FMJ bullet and Accurate #7. I seat the bullet a tad less deep than the recommended 1.140 depth-going about 1.150 for a safety factor. And the crimp I use is a bit less than what bulges a case. I had a few bulge,so I backed it off a bit. Whats your thoughts?
Old August 20, 1999, 11:01 AM   #2
TTed

If you're crimping almost to the point of bulging your cases, the crimp isn't the problem. Are you sure its unburnt powder? Could it be ash? Sometimes a powder charge that is too light could be the problem because the loads don't develop enough pressure. I was working up some loads for 45ACP and at the lower powder charges, I was getting unburnt powder residue. When I increased the charge to a full pressure load, the problem went away
Old August 20, 1999, 12:31 PM   #3
PeterM

My experience with both AA 5 and 7 in both .357 and .44 is that you can minimize this somewhat with a heavier load but for the most part its like shooting Unique in that it shoots very well but you just have to learn to put up with the mess. Hope this helps.

Pete
Old August 23, 1999, 04:33 PM   #4
Cheapo

Stuff a few with as much black powder as you can get under the bullet, and compare your powder residue.

Smokeless powder is *not* like gasoline, vaporized at room temperature and somewhat completely removed from the combustion chamber after doing its thing. A few unburned particles, a bit of ash, and some residual graphite from the powder's anti-static coating are all normal byproducts.

If you have enough crud to form a line of particles throughout the bore, and have a dribble of granules fall out the muzzle, then maybe you have a problem.

Even the "unburned powder under the extractor star of the revolver" problem is often over-stated. The very few times I've seen it, the flattened ball powder flakes were so thin that a half-dozen there following a LONG shooting session never affected cylinder rotation.
Old August 23, 1999, 07:48 PM   #5
HankL

Sportster,
Could it be that you do not entirely remove the lube that you spray on your cases before firing?

By design, the case must be able to grip the chamber during the pressure pulse. Excess lube would prevent this needed phenonenon to take place and cause problems as you have described to occur. It can appear to be a headspace problem.

Just trying to help us all think this out.

Good shooting and be safe!

Hank
Old August 24, 1999, 10:33 PM   #6
Big Bunny

Feel it is light loads and light projectiles giving this minor annoyance, more crimping on a lead load can be only so effective without scoring the bullet. If no fouling of the mechanism occurrs and it all works perfectly... what the hell... as long as the load is accurate and you like the gun (and the load) ...leave it be !

------------------
***Big Bunny***