The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 1999, 10:16 PM   #1
fremont

Looking for load data for 200 & 250 gr. RNFP Long Colt bullets in .45ACP. Need OAL, powders, velocities, etc. Any books and/or websites would be great.
Old August 23, 1999, 09:28 AM   #2
Bubba

Good question... been looking for that data myself.

I have been using 5.4 grns of 231 with the 200. Seating to OAL 1.200. That is just bairly at the bottom of the crimp groove of that round. I would like to get it a little longer, but any less depth and I am exposing the lube.

These rounds are very reliable for my in my Kimber and seem to accurate as well.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

Old August 23, 1999, 12:41 PM   #3
Paul B.

Gentlemen. I pass this data along with some trepidation. It comes from THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO HANDLOADING by Phillip B. Sharpe, copywrite 1936. I will give only the starting loads as the max load data for the 250gr. bullet is too damn hot in my .45 ACP with 200 gr. bullets. I accept no responsibility, and you use at your own risk. My personal feeling is that you should consider these loads as maximum. They were worked up with government corrosive primers, and our current day primers are a bit more aggressive. (If you can find a copy of PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF LOADING AMMUNITION by Earl Naramore, it goes into great detail on this primer situation. For example, in his book BIG GAME RIFLES, Elmer Keith gives his loading for the .35 Whelan. It is about 5 or 6 grains above any max load I have been able to find, primarily I think, due to the primers he had available. Military corrosive through the NRA.)The loads are for 250 gr.bullets. (I think any 200 gr. load for .45 ACP should work.):
Bullseye 3.0 gr. 520 fps.
Unique 5.0 gr. 580 fps.
He gives no other powders. I repeat, this data is from a 1936 manual.
To put things in perspective, I checked Sharpes .35 Whelan data with the 47th Ed. Lyman book along with Keiths load.

These are the max loads:
Lyman 51.3 gr. 2,485 fps
Sharpe(1936) 58.0 gr. 2,680 fps
E. Keith 56.5 Gr. 2,600 fps
I give you those to put things in perspective. I guarantee nothing more than I copied them correctly.
I hope it helps.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited August 23, 1999).]