The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 1999, 10:13 PM   #1
sjones

I have loaded up 50 rounds of 10 grains of unique,300 grain leadcast flatpoint. I will be shooting these in a ruger bisley. I have gradualy worked up to these a step at a time. assuming I keep the range under 75 yards and can place all my shots in a paper plate how big an animal can I put down? thanks I am a new and hopeful handgun hunter. thanks sj
Old August 12, 1999, 11:42 AM   #2
Paul B.

SJONES. It would've been nice if you'd told us the caliber of your Bisley. I don't mean to flame you, but it is difficult to help you out without the info.
With that said, regardless of whether you are using a .44 Magnum or .45 Long Colt, I don't feel that Unique is the appropriate powder for a 300 gr. bullet used for hunting a big game animal. You should, in my opinion, use a powder in the range of H-110 or W-296. Alliant 2400 is usable too, although I prefer the first two. IMR and H-4227 are good too.
To get some good insight on heavy bullets for handgun hunting, go to (www.sixgunner.com) There is a lot of good info on the subject there.
Paul B.
Old August 12, 1999, 09:34 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Perhaps a x2.5 scoped W/A Leupold or Tasco RedDot on a Ruger Auto 44(MAG)(180GN JHP with 25gn of IMR4227 or ADI2205)carbine as back-up to your pistol might be 'prudent' in the circumstances ... if you are into the pistolero hunting thing.***Just a thought.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old August 12, 1999, 09:40 PM   #4
Grayfox

While you didn't mention caliber, I'll bet it's a .45 Colt. The load you describe has been one of the standard hunting loads in .45 Colt for many years. As to what you can hunt, just about anything, as long as you keep the range reasonable. Deer, boar and such would be fine. This is also an acceptable defense load in black bear country, however I'm not sure if I'd try hunting blackies with anything less than a good rifle.

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited August 12, 1999).]
Old August 13, 1999, 11:25 AM   #5
sjones

you all are right,I forgot to put the caliber down. it is a 45long colt. I was thinking of deer and russian hogs in texas.also to be used as a defensive arm while camping and hikeing.
Old August 18, 1999, 10:50 PM   #6
ZFH

I use this exact load in my 45 colt blackhawk for big game. It chronograqph at 1025fps out of a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I really like this load because it's fun to plink with and still has enough snort for hunting.

Chris