The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 30, 2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

Red dot for Handi Rifle?

I have a Handi Rifle in 300 blackout, Really short barrel and lightweight. I was wondering if it would be practical to mount something along the lines of a Bushnell TRS-25 on it? I cant see myself shooting past 200 to be honest, and most shots within 100. So would this be a good choice? Would I still be able to get good groups at 100 yards with it? Would it be durable enough for taking in to the woods and on a Four Wheeler? How far forward/back should I mount it?

Any help you can provide is appreciated, Thanks!
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 30, 2015, 09:07 PM   #2
tdoyka

i just started using a 45-70 in a handi-rifle. i'm using 405gr cast boolits and i plan on taking it out for deer. although i have only shot it 50 yards(1 3/4"), i will be able to shoot my 45-70 at 100 yards.

mine is a mueller mx1 red dot.
http://muelleroptics.com/category/pr...rossbow-scopes
Old August 30, 2015, 09:43 PM   #3
idek

With its 3 MOA dot, that would amount to covering a 6" circle at 200 yards. Might be a stretch for those longer distances. I own a primary arms micro dot, which is similar, but with a 2 MOA dot. I still wouldn't feel especially confident for long distances. I just use mine on plinking guns.

If I were in your place and used the gun for hunting or more serious target practice, I'd opt for a low-powered scope, though I know from experience that mounting optics can be a pain on those H&R/NEFs (with their hammer spurs sticking up so high).

Last edited by idek; August 30, 2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old August 30, 2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Mosin-Marauder

I can't really seem to find a good 4x scope. There are some nice ones I really like on Kalinka but I'm kind of wary about ordering from there.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 31, 2015, 08:41 PM   #5
SurplusShooter

Leopold makes some excellent 4 power scopes, if they are out of your price range look for a nice weaver k4. It is a classic, dependable, and well made scope. They are a bit old school, but they are known and trusted scopes recommended by many on this very forum. As far as Kalinda goes they are a great company and I have ordered several things from them and always had great experiences.
Old August 31, 2015, 11:17 PM   #6
upstate81

I have a new weaver K6 that i mounted on a .243 for deer this fall. Its a sweet little scope. I can only imagine the 4X would be perfect for that rifle. It is very clear and repeatable so far zero issues. I, like many others prefer low magnification scopes instead of red dots. I really think im more precise and consistent with them, especially past 75 yards. Naturally there are more expensive and better choices but the weaver just plain works.
Old August 31, 2015, 11:49 PM   #7
idek

Just something to consider... with that gun's short stock, if you got a scope with about 5" of eye relief or more, you could probably mount it in front of the hammer spur. Otherwise, you will have to mount a scope significantly higher to clear the spur.

[rest of comment deleted as it is no longer relevant]

Last edited by idek; September 1, 2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old September 1, 2015, 12:18 AM   #8
upstate81

U just talked me into ordering one. 138 bucks! Cant beat that with a stick. Thanks
Old September 1, 2015, 06:12 AM   #9
Mosin-Marauder

Holy cow! I know what I'm ordering this afternoon!
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 1, 2015, 02:56 PM   #10
WV_gunner

I too can't decide on a scope for mine, if I even want one. I had considered and done some heavy research on about every type of sight and can't decide. I'm leaving mine alone for now but I was considering a 4x red dot or a regular 4x.
I don't see a problem with mounting a scope on one. If yours didn't come with one, you should be able to buy a rail for it and then bolt on whatever you want. If you use low rise mounts you'll probably need a hammer extension. With such a small scope high rise mounts will clear I'd say.
Old September 1, 2015, 04:40 PM   #11
NoSecondBest

I had one on a Turnbull 1886 45-70 and it shot quite well. I used a Burris FF3 on a Turnbull receiver mount. Here's a group fired off my deck at my private range at a measured 114 yds. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't fire a good group with a red dot sight. FWIW, the gun's for sale on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Target from 7-22-13 001 - Copy.JPG (149.8 KB, 37 views)
Old September 6, 2015, 03:46 PM   #12
Ibmikey

My Handi 300 Blackout sports a 3x Nikon 223 scope that works super well at ranges out to about 150 yards, shot Texas pigs with it without the need for a second shot. My Handi has the stock and forearm replaced with a standard length camo unit that fits my long arms better than the stock shorties.
Old September 6, 2015, 09:58 PM   #13
dakota.potts

You could always go with a small, illuminated 1-4x scope. The illumination acts somewhat like a red dot on the low power, and you get 4X magnification for longer distances

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_A...4X_p/pa14x.htm

They also have a 1-6 with BDC calculated for 7.62x39/.300 BO, and it's a little smaller, but it's also over twice the price.
Old September 26, 2015, 07:38 AM   #14
Ibmikey

Back to the original question, I have not used red dot for reloading the 300 and rely on fast burning W 296 or H 110 to do the job in my supersonic loads and they consistantly shoot one hole groups with a Nikon P223 3x scope. The only way to enjoy this cartridge is to reload to your specific needs.
Old September 26, 2015, 10:23 AM   #15
Sharkbite

Im pretty sure the OP was asking about a Reddot scope, not Red Dot powder
Old October 4, 2015, 08:28 PM   #16
Unlicensed Dremel

Homey don't play batteries, so the only ESD or dot sight I partake of any more is the Trijicon RMR-DI. Or the Leupold 1x14 Prismatic (arguable whether it's an ESD / dot sight). Something that works with batteries, or with or without batteries.

I agree with Dakotapotts - get a 1-4ish scope. The best budget-y illuminated one by far, in my opinion is the Burris MTAC 1-4x24 (at least as of the last time I researched it as of a few years ago), because even if the batteries fail, the reticle is still there! On 1x with the large outer ring, it works as a dot sight (ESD) or if you like even an OEG with a front lens cover. But on 1 or any power, the center reticle can be used whether the batteries crap out or not. To find that same feature in a scope with a true 1x on the low end AND a large ring or dot, AND still has the ring & reticle when the battery craps out, you have to jump from $300 for the Burris, all the way to over $1,000, unless there's something new out there.

But sure, a TRS25 would be "ok" on it, and get you out as far as you'd ever actually use it on large game or anti-personnel sized targets - 75 to 100 yards. I wouldn't pay the $70 or $80 they cost now, but if someone gave me one, I'd stick it on a rimfire or fun gun like that. I can't see paying good money - even a small amount - for something which is battery-reliant, which is anti-thetical to a firearm's purpose - reliable. Only exception would be Aimpoint with 50K hours battery life or possibly the new Trijicon.

Generally speaking, dot sights are JUNK, and their value goes down faster than PK Subban in a playoff game. Buy quality (i.e. Trijicon or Aimpoint) or forget it - IMO. And I've tried a few, believe me. And if you can't afford that quality in an ESD, stick to a scope which will give you a better value - a Nikon, Burris, Leupold, Vortex, or Bushnell Elite.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; October 4, 2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old October 4, 2015, 10:08 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

I thought you were selling the Handi?
Old October 4, 2015, 10:16 PM   #18
Mosin-Marauder

My threads have a habit of re-appearing after the subject is no longer relevant, it doesn't help that I didn't update this thread. But yes I'm selling it.

William Tecumseh Sherman
Old October 17, 2015, 09:00 AM   #19
Ibmikey

Too bad you do not have the resources to keep the Handi in the rack until a later time, the rifle is quite unique in 300 BO and in future years should spark a lot of interest with the shooting crowd. I changed the Nikon scope on mine to a 1x4 Bushnell AR series with a luminated reticle that really is nice for low light hog killing hunts. The AAC Handi was made in limited numbers ( how many? I have not a clue) so future availability will be very limited. In the mean time i will continue to shoot and enjoy my Handi for hunts where greater firepower is not normally needed.
Shark bite, The original question on this post was regarding Red Dot powder loads, I am old but did not dream up that issue
Old October 17, 2015, 10:54 AM   #20
DPris
Member Emeritus

IB,
The original post in this thread was quite clearly about a red dot optic, not Red Dot powder.
Mo mentioned a specific one, asked questions about mounting.

How anybody could get gunpowder out of that....
Denis
Old October 17, 2015, 04:31 PM   #21
Ibmikey

I guess i did dream up that issue after reading the post with the sun up. Guess i should not answer these things after being up most of the night.....zzzzzzz!!
Old October 17, 2015, 05:43 PM   #22
DPris
Member Emeritus

Blame it on the medication.
Denis
Old October 17, 2015, 06:14 PM   #23
Ibmikey

Yuck, yuck the only med is vitamin B12.....does that make you see red dots?
I really like the Bushnell TRS 25 as an inexpensive yet dependable sight but I guess needs have changed as the OP's rifle is up for sale, good time to acquire a really nifty shooter that is out of production. I have a lot of fun with my Handi 300 BO.
Old October 17, 2015, 10:24 PM   #24
DPris
Member Emeritus

It doesn't make ME see red dots, but apparently does you.
Denis
Old October 19, 2015, 06:20 AM   #25
Mosin-Marauder

Boy, that gave me a good laugh!
William Tecumseh Sherman