The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 10, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Coach Z

Supressor on a Keltec Sub2k

I have a silencerco osprey 9 that I should be getting my stamp on soon, if the sequester didn't screw up the time too badly.

As long as I own a 9mm suppressor and a 9mm carbine I'm thinking why not make the two compatible. Currently I'm looking at ADCO to do the barrel threading and RELion to replace the front sight with a rail mounted optic to keep the gun foldable.

Anyone here tried this already? Thoughts or critiques?

Thanks for the input
Old December 10, 2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Theohazard

I don't have any personal experience with suppressing a Sub-2000, but here are two observations I have based on the design:

-It's a blowback-operated action and this means that more hot gases usually escape from the chamber area compared to a locked-breech design (and there will be even more gas blowback because of the suppressor). So blowback firearms tend to be louder when suppressed compared to locked-breech designs due to the larger amount of loud, hot gases escaping from the chamber.

-The barrel is 16" long, so a lot of commercially-available 147 gr. 9mm ammo that's subsonic in a pistol will be supersonic in the Sub-2000, or at least close enough that some rounds might be supersonic and some might be subsonic. If you don't reload you're going to have to find some 147 gr. ammo that's consistently subsonic or just use 158 gr. ammo.
Old December 10, 2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Theohazard

By the way, don't take my previous post as a discouragement; a Sub-2000 suppressed will still be super quiet and lots of fun to shoot. But those are just some thoughts I had on suppressing that particular gun.
Old December 10, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Coach Z

Supressor on a Keltec Sub2k

I appreciate the input all great points and that post is precisely the kind of feedback I need. I have started reloading and have a bunch of 147gr round nose that I can use as a good start for some custom subsonic rounds! I knew I needed a reloading setup it just took a while to find the reason!
Old December 11, 2013, 01:21 AM   #5
Theohazard

Cool! If you reload then it's perfect. Let us know how it shoots once you get the barrel threaded and the Form 4 comes in.

Also, the Osprey 9 works great on 300 Blackout subsonic; it's even quieter than if you used a .308 suppressor. Try indexing it upside-down on a 300 Blackout AR-15; it usually lines up with the top of the handguard this way and looks awesome!
Old February 20, 2014, 09:13 AM   #6
CreepyCarbine

I have my Sub2k suppressed. It was a pain in the balls to get the barrel threaded since it is so thin. But I live local to Kel Tec and they were MORE than friendly and willing to help in dissassembling the weapon.

It is fun to shoot suppressed AND 147gr seems to be subsonic about 75% of the time. It has not given me any reliability problems suppressed.

I don't shoot it much anymore because I now have a 9mm AR SBR.